THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What are you hunting with this year?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you hunting with this year?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Blaser R8 Success 9.3x62 for AK Bear and Caribou (Already done and performance was OUTSTANDING)

R8 Success in 30-06 for everything else including White tail, Mule Deer, and Elk.

Maybe a K95 in 30-06 just because it was so good on our New Zealand hunt earlier this year.

Seems like these are what I take no matter where I go. Especially in this year of many hunts!

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff Ulm Primus combination gun 16 ga./7X75 SE vom Hofe, with a full length insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider, which I plan to try out on my crop raiding whitetails this season: the 6mm for short range shots, the 7mm for long range.

Shown here is the UP with 9.3X74 double rifle barrels mounted and the combination barrels above it. The combination barrels carry a Leupold M8 4X scope in German claw mounts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be using a .270 WSM with 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for Wolfe in British Columbia in December. I will use the same rifle for Elk in November in Colorado with 160 grain Nosler Partitions. The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 with 6.5X20 Ziess Conquest scope. The 140 grain load chronys at 3150 fps and the 160 grain Partition at 2950 fps. Both are extremely accurate when the shooter does his part. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty boring, I guess, so I'm sure some stuff will get killed with a nasty looking (but good shooting) old Ruger in 7x57 filled with H414 and 140 TSX's.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i1113.photobucket.com/a...sioncarbine001-2.jpg

This one is sure to be in the field with me this fall in pursuit of white tails. Savage Precision Carbine 308 Win. 180 Game Kings on top of RL 15 gives scary accuracy. Thanks again Scott for recommending this rifle tu2

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/a...sioncarbine001-2.jpg

This one is sure to be in the field with me this fall in pursuit of white tails. Savage Precision Carbine 308 Win. 180 Game Kings on top of RL 15 gives scary accuracy. Thanks again Scott for recommending this rifle tu2

Here is my 223 version. Still the most accurate rifle I own.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I carried my old rusty 30-06 Remington 700 in South Africa in June and after she helped me collect 11 different species of game I'm leaving her at home this fall for a rifle that I haven't hunted with since 2010

270 WSM

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym drilling 20 X 20 X 3006 for moose and chickens and a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 7 X 57 Mauser for deer.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
top Remington 7MS 308
2. Bob Green 270
3 Carolina Precision Rifles 257 Roberts
Bottom Sauer 202 25'06

http://i493.photobucket.com/al...0031_zps6acda4f7.jpg

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For birds....a Dural drilling in 16/70 over 7x57R (hoping for an occasional offhand on coyote).

For deer, a little break open single shot in 7x57R.

For hogs and other hoofed game in Germany, 9.3x62...

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sept/Oct is bird hunting for me,picked up a new Fabarm Classis 12ga SxS to play with on that. For Nov., it will be the Krieghoff Classic SxS in 30R. could run into an elk, otherwise, whitetails.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I carried my old rusty 30-06 Remington 700 in South Africa in June and after she helped me collect 11 different species of game I'm leaving her at home this fall for a rifle that I haven't hunted with since 2010

270 WSM

WOW! Really?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
WOW.....that Africa actually allowed you to bring me along

Really.....that I will cary a different rifle

I hope this isn't a sign of more strange behavior from me

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 1895win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
I'm gonna use several for deer and hogs. These aren't counting what used to be muzzleloading season.
9 X 57 Sauer & Sohn Mauser

Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling in 16 x 16 over 9.3 X 75R

Sometime my 9 X 71 Peterlongo will see some woods time

During the course of the seasons I'll also carry a Jost & Diehl combination gun in 16 X 10.5 X 47R, a 1903 Mannlicher/Schoenauer in the classic 6.5 X 54 and my Goldmann German double rifle in 11.15 X 60R will have to accompany me on at least one hunt. Then as a previous poster said, "whatever I grab".

You sir have excellent taste in firearms!

"All I want is to enter my house justified"

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I doubt I'll get the chance to hunt this year, but if I do it will be either the M98 in 270 win or the M98 in 9.3x62 depending upon the size of the animal and the weather.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I took the 300 Win Mag and the 375 H&H with me to South Africa back in June.

September CO bear - 300 Win Mag
November CO elk - 300 Win Mag
November OK whitetail - 243 Win
December CO antelope - 35 Whelen AI or 375 H&H (my buddies and I have decided this year will be a big bore hunt 35 caliber or larger)

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't think you went anywhere without dragging the ole '06 behind you. It's gonna be jealous!!!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:

I didn't think you went anywhere without dragging the ole '06 behind you. It's gonna be jealous!!!

Would you make money if you bet on it being in the truck in November even if the 27 is on a mountain?

one of us
posted Hide Post
338 Ultra with a 2.2 x 9 Swaro loaded with 225 ACB for elk on Monday.

270 Win with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold loaded with 140 ACB for wolf and a 1920's Mod 94 in 32 Special with Burris red dot site loaded with 170 Core Loks for lynx and cougar in B.C. in Dec.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on concentrating mostly on birds, but I will do some game hunting.

2 elk tags Wyo.
1-2 elk in Idaho plus 1-2 deer probably not bear as far as actual shooting.
1 Mountain Goat in Idaho

All with a HS Precision 280 AI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okanogan Mulies with my home built VZ-24 in 30-06.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using a crossbow, a .50 caliber cap lock, and a .50 cal flintlock. If I go out during rifle season I'll probably use my Savage 99 in .308 Win.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta O/U for geese and ducks. Win. 7WSM w/160grn SAF scoped with a Leupold 1.5-5 for either Caribou or Moose. Win. pre-64 21" bbl. .375H&H w/300 grn. SAF's equipped with NECG front/rear for in the brush work. Will be a good season I trust.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My standard Roedeer stalking rifle is my Sauer 202 in .30-06. For my latest outing and by whim, I decided to take along my Rem Sendero SS in .300 Win Mag (my official excuse was probable rain and I don't like to wet the nice wood of my Sauer). As luck would have it, I met a very nice buck (the one who got entangled in electric fence wire).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
No need for ammunition, just show that to the animals and they'll collapse, either from fright or amusement. But I believe a person should hunt with whatever tool he chooses, regardless of how ridiculous and impractical it might appear.

I'm totally crushed. I was looking forward to trying an AR for hunting. Now all the joy and anticipation has been sucked out of me. Thanks for ruining my season.

Don't be bummed I think the 6.8spc is a very good choice for whitetail and especially hogs. And a "MSR" is quite practical.....ever try a put lights and a can on a CZ550 FS Roll Eyes

I have been using a AK with a 1x4 Nikon and 10 rnd magazines loaded with Hornady SST or Privi SPs

Yes it's a 2 MOA rifle ....but at night my shots are 70m at best

For deer this I will be using my CZ in 9.3x62 with a 2x8 Nikon

Wanted to picked up new rifle but just didn't have time....when I do it will another CZ in 6.5x55 or a 68spc upper for my sbr lower

Posts: 51 | Location: NTX / NWPA | Registered: 11 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For fun, this year, I think I'll hunt whitetails with a .458 WM Mannlicher Shoenauer. My backup will be my usual .416 Rem. Mag.

I'm working on a .358 WM and getting another .30-06 up to speed. But that hasn't happened and we're pretty much here.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have killed two white tail does with a .458, using 350 grain Hornady round nose bullets.

Quarter sized exit hole, DRT.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been out bear hunting for a couple of days. I grabbed my M-70 in .30-06 using 180 gr Sierra GK's. The little sucker shoots about 1/2". Topped with a Leupold 2.5x8 and it's light and handy to carry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Hopefully my Merkel 961L will get some hunting time this autumn Smiler

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Baring rain I am planning on using My Ruger 77 220 swift on squirrels opening day Sept 15th.
Firearm deer season I'll use my 870 Remington slugger 20ga. Love that shot gun.
Muzzle loader season I'll use my 54 cal Remington 700.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My unbelievably boring accurate 270 Winchester gets the call this year. 150gr Nosler Long Range Accubonds in the Brux pipe.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still working out the final load details, but for my upcoming elk hunt in a few weeks, I will be dragging along my JW Tolley sxs in 577/500 no.2. Should be ample for anything with teeth and claws I run into as well.
For a back-up, I will likely have the R8 in 9.3x62.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need for ammunition, just show that to the animals and they'll collapse, either from fright or amusement. But I believe a person should hunt with whatever tool he chooses, regardless of how ridiculous and impractical it might appear.

LOL

Good one Stonecreek.

That's funny! Wink

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to shoot some pics and deer with a stainless River 77 .338 RCM with a Leopold 2x7 scope

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurized 700, Benchmark 5R barrel, Atlasworx bottom metal, B&C Medalist Mark V style stock. Chambered in 338-06.
210 TSX bullets, 210 GMM primers, Lapua brass, stoked by R-17.
Scope is very nice

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Speaking of extending the range..... Where are (were) the moose? Canada? Smiler Anyway, hope you drop (dropped) a nice one.
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Scott, screw 'em all! I'm heading to Alaska for Moose on Sept 7th. We sit up on a knoll and overlook thousands of acres of tundra and willow. I'm bringing a Blaser LRS2 in 338 Rem Ultramag shooting 225gr Accubonds at 3,150 fps....extend the range a bit :-)

Nice looking rifle, but it sure is UGLY !

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeez my rifles are boring..
I think this year the 25-06 will be along for the deer hunt.
it's slightly custom but you can't tell unless you look at the script writing on the barrel.
that will be for the open areas.
when It gets tight and nasty i'll drag out the 20" lever gun in 45 colt and use it to bust some willows and oak brush down then launch a cast boolit against their armor plating and hope for the best.

and if I bother to try elk i'll take either the 7x57 Ackley loaded with some hornady 139gr interlocks slouching along at 2850fps or the rem-700 8 mauser stoked with 170gr cast flat nose bullets.
they are rather pedestrian looking too, but seem to shoot where I point them often enough to kill something. [shrug]

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

.223 SBR/suppressed, works great

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the hunt - one of the three below will do it for me

Top - 223 Rem700 SPS (doggies)

Middle - 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser sheep / goat / bear / deer

Bottom. - 7x64 Mannlicher Shoener elk & moose

--------------------------//-//--------------------

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I even hunt this yearI think I will probably use my 1950 mod 70 270with astraight 4 power leupold.