Find
Notify
Tools

My "Flyers" are Bi-planes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
I recently acquired a Kimber of Oregon 270 Winchester with a 24" fluted barrel. I put a 3x9 Burris Fullfield II on it, loaded a bunch of 130gr Sierra SBT's over RE-22 and took it to the range. On thre separate strings of five I shot the same pattern: 1st shot 1 inch at five o'clock from point of aim; shots 2, 3, and 4 into .3 directly on point of aim; shot 5, basically in same hole as shot 1. I was allowing about 4 minutes between each shot. what I was ending up with was either one "ho-hum" group, or two "Wow!" groups. I'm trying neck sizing with all other elements remaining the same. Has anyone ever had any experience with a rifle shooting two geat groups as opposed to one?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it wounds tome like the barrel channel is touching the barrel someplace. Take a piece of paper and slide it along the barrel & see if it gets stuck on the stock someplace. What happens here is that as the barrel heats up it moves against the stock and affects impact point.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
I thought about that and checked it. The strange part is that it's the first and last shots that fly, not the last two.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot a fouler and switch to a three shot group. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've had bedding problems that caused the same results, two separate, great, groups. First and cheapest, check the guardscrew tension. It should be firm, not gorilla tight. That may work. If not, have a gunsmith look at the bedding to see if something might be rubbing in the action area.
Hope it all comes out all right.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Kimber made on a Mauser action (VZ24 I think) that had a ss fluted barrel in 7mmRM. I had similar problems and could not get the rifle to shoot.

I changed the trigger; rings; scope; etc. I finally took it to my gunsmith and asked him to bed it for me and make it shoot.

He called me back in about three weeks and said that we needed to talk! When he got to checking it he found that the head space was wrong. As he put it when he was finished, "That wasn't a rifle, it was a parts kit." He rebuilt it and finished the whole rifle in a grey parkerized finish.

You can check the rifle out below; it shoots quite well now, and my sister-in-law took this very nice black wildebeeste with it.

Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote