THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Sako 358 Norma Mag Conversion Options

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 358 Norma Mag Conversion Options
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I've narrowed my decision to 4 Sako rifles. They are either 7mm or 338 WM and would rebore. One is a 300 WM and would require a rebarrel or live with some unslightly setback.

Also, I believe the Sako A and AV are both 4 rounds down.

All are in great shape except the L61R, would need to refinish the stock and recut the checkering.

Any recommendations on # of groves? JES said 3 work fine.

Question:
Which would you select:

Choices:
Sako 75
Sako 85 Finnbear
Sako V Finnbear (the 300 WM)
Sako AV
Sako L61R pre-Garcia

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I don't care for a detachable magazine.

Why to push to rebore? If I was spending the money I'd start with a new barrel. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I don't care for a detachable magazine.

Why to push to rebore? If I was spending the money I'd start with a new barrel. coffee

I added one more option.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shockerRe-barreling isn't going to solve set back. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re-barreling isn't going to solve set back

I "think" he was concerned about setting a 330Wmag barrel back on a factory rifle and the looks Either shorter shank forearm gap or both.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Re-barreling isn't going to solve set back

I "think" he was concerned about setting a 330Wmag barrel back on a factory rifle and the looks Either shorter shank forearm gap or both.

Exactly. It would leave a gap between the barrel and stock. Oh, but I love the way the stock on the 300 WM looks!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would built it on a AV magnum. I would rebarrel so I could have a 3 or 4 contour barrel.

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wow Just noticed Norma doesn't even list 358 Norma ammo on their site.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I got an earlier SN# L61R today, in the 30K range. Definitely Pre-Garcia, "Bofors Steel" marked on the barrel and 3rd rear lug.

Will need to redo the stock, though it's pretty good for a rifle this old. I want to copy the deluxe checkering at the time and recreate a Finnbear grip cap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ve always thought the 358 Norma to be about the ultimate all around caliber, I would not hesitate to shoot Buffalo, Lion, elephant with proper bullets with it...and it would make an excellent antelope, deer bear, and coyote rifle.

The .375 and .338 could give it a run for the money but if one studies this scenario with care he will arrive on the .358 Norma..I guess that's the reason Ive never had one, I simply must have more than one rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the 358 Norma, a very good design for standard length actions, revolve around bullet choice and intended game.

What bullet are you thinking of using, and for what? While contemplating bullets, don't forget some of the smaller companies for specialized bullets, like GSC and CEB.

Both versatility and specialized bullet choice has always led me to .338" or .375". And the .375 Ruger (a standard length cartridge)provides an extra 10 grains of powder capacity, useful in the heavier medium calibers. The Nosler 33 (also standard length) will now provide the same increase for .338".

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The AV "Hunter" stock is the most beautiful rifle assemblage in History. They were sold from the early eighties through the mid nineties (I believe the Beretta company bought Sako about then). From the model 75, and going forward, Sako's have not been worth the money charged. I got all of my post 1992 rifles sold off, and reinvested in AV Hunters.

One of the Joys of Sakos is that by carefully choosing add on barrel contours, you can end up with a ten barrel action. If that is the plan, get the action blue-printed before fitting barrels, and enjoy.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
My thoughts on the 358 Norma, a very good design for standard length actions, revolve around bullet choice and intended game.

What bullet are you thinking of using, and for what? While contemplating bullets, don't forget some of the smaller companies for specialized bullets, like GSC and CEB.

Both versatility and specialized bullet choice has always led me to .338" or .375". And the .375 Ruger (a standard length cartridge)provides an extra 10 grains of powder capacity, useful in the heavier medium calibers. The Nosler 33 (also standard length) will now provide the same increase for .338".

250 gr Norma Oryx (3.300") and 250 gr Northforks (3.325") are what im testing first with RL -16. If that doest wotk, will try 203B, Varget, and H4350.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
How much freebore, if any, do folks recommend for the 358 Norma?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps consider a Schultz & Larsen in 358 Norma Mag.

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several 358 norma rifles over the years. The only one I have left is a Husqvarna 1600. Accurate and easy to carry. If I were building another I would install a new barrel contoured to the existing barrel on the action you choose.I would get a barrel with 1 in 12" twist so you can handle all of the longer heavier bullets. As already mentioned, bullet selection is not as great as with some calibres BUT there are some very fine bullets available.
Ones I have used with success include
1/ for lighter game & longer distances....the 225 gr Barnes TSX. Holds together and is v accurate in my rifle.
2/ Nosler Partitions. The 250 gr bullet is seldom the wrong choice.
3/ For larger game the 280 Swift A-Frame. These bullets penetrate. I would make sure the throat and magazine would accept this bullet.

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote