New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 X 57??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this may be a silly question?? But, is anyone chanbering for this round these days in "new" rifles? Casually looked through Ruger, Browning, CZ, Remington, HS Precision, and a few other catalogs for this offering to no avail. Thanks for the update.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be chambering not chanbering, it's been a long day. Sorry!!

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I think you can still get a Ruger #1 in 7x57. It's popularity has been largely upended by its ballistic twin the 7mm-08 Rem.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry: If you do a Google on American Hunting Rifles you will find a rifle manufacturing company which has a CZ 550-based rifle in a synthetic stock for a hundred dollars or so less than $2000. Also, I saw three or four Rugers bolt actions in 7x57mm for sale on either GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica.com. And, in addition to that there is a fellow who visits this forum, I believe, who wants a CZ 550 Full Stock in 9.3x62 in the worst way. He said he would trade his CZ 550 Full Stock 7x57mm for one. It is a crying shame gun manufacturers are trying to singal an end for this fine caliber.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I am sure the availability is just a cycle...I have two Rugers and a Winchester Featherweight in 7 x 57... aren't planning on selling either anytime soon...

But if you have a strong hankering for one, why not pick up a used action in something that you like and get it rebarreled to 7 x 57....

Midway has barrels pretty cheap in 7 x 57 for both Mausers and Savages...

ER Shaw can set you up with a 7 x 57 barrel for pretty cheap....

Plenty of good gunsmiths nationally rebarrel tons of rifles to 7 x 57 every year...

Don't let what the factories are offering currently, keep you away from having what you want.... when you rebarrel, you can get about any caliber or cartridge chambering you want..that will often shoot better than a factory rifle anyway.....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Larry, unless you are deadset on a new rifle, you might look around for a 50's vintage Brno like the this rifle owned by Boxhead:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
someone tell me why you would want a 7x57 in a long action when you could have a 7x64 in the same action length?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
or a 280, or a 7Mag?

well maybe 'cause you like the 7x57?

maybe 'cause you have a lot of 7X57 brass?

maybe 'cause you don't want a 7x64?

maybe 'cause it's a hobby and your dad or granddad hunted with a 7X57?

so is there a reason that you would support a 7X64 over a 280 on a long action? If the answer is 'cause I want one, I understand.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
or a 280, or a 7Mag?

well maybe 'cause you like the 7x57?

maybe 'cause you have a lot of 7X57 brass?

maybe 'cause you don't want a 7x64?

maybe 'cause it's a hobby and your dad or granddad hunted with a 7X57?

so is there a reason that you would support a 7X64 over a 280 on a long action? If the answer is 'cause I want one, I understand.

7mag isnt the same length.
280 or 7x64 . question still stands.
isnt it a more efficient use of the actions length to chamber for the longer round?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2005 Shooters Bible lists 7x64 factory loads from Federal, PMC, Remington, and Speer among US ammo companies. In addition, Norma and Sako factory loads are imported into the U.S. from Europe. Federal offers a premium 160 grain Nosler Partition bullet at a MV of 2,650 fps. Remington offers a 7x64 factory load using a 175 grain PSP Core-Lokt bullet at a MV of 2,650 fps. Handloads may push the envelope.

Wilhelm Brenneke designed his 7x64mm rifle cartridge in Germany in 1917. The 7x57 mm Mauser predates the Brenneke as it was developed as a military cartridge in 1892. Like many successful military cartridges, the 7x57 proved to be an even more outstanding hunting cartridge. The 7x57 had a long run as a service cartridge with several of the world's militaries, from its introduction in 1893. But its utility as a hunting cartridge is what has kept it alive and well to the present day. Its shorter case (7 mm) yields about 150 fps less in the 175 gr bullet, which is not a lot to write home about.

Today the 7x64 is more popular in Europe, whereas the 7x57 is more popular in South Africa - both are good at practical hunting ranges. Sure the standard length action can accommodate cartridges without adjustments up to 64 mm case length, whereas the intermediate length action was designed for the 57 mm case. However many 7x57 mm rifles have lately been built on the standard length action, mainly due to the scarcity reasons of the intermediate length action.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"someone tell me why you would want a 7x57 in a long action when you could have a 7x64 in the same action length"

Classic "non-argument". Why then have a 7x64 when 7 Rem Mag can be had for same $$ (fits in same action length)? Why have 7mm Rem Mag when it has been proven thousands of times that the 30-06 just as good? Why......................

I think a 7x57 is great, as I do the 7x64. I want both!!!!

If this requires a fellow to purchase a new rifle then this is the best thing!!!! Why not have a 7-30 Waters, 7mmTCU, 7-08, 7x57, 7x57 Imp, 280, 280 Imp, 7x64,.............. To me this would be awesome bunch of fun.

I have a 7x57 but also want a 280 Imp. But all honesty I also have an older M700 BDL in 270Win that will do everything either of these will do. So what, I like guns and want to experiment with different but clearly overlapping capabilites.

I mean a 223, 30-06 & 375 would be a great combo but I know I'd get bored with just those (though I already have 2 of these calibers).

It is all about fun and involvement not justification.

Posts: 107 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replis and insight into the 7 X 57. I to have had a 7mm-08, still have a sweet 7mm mag custom on a Sako action. It's just something about the "metrics" that are really cool and the fact it is a really old round that still competes favorably in todays' environment. I am not convinced I want to go the route of a custom gun, so was just wondering if anyone still offered it in a factory mode. Not sure if a Ruger #1 is what I want with this round, but may have a look into it.

Larry Sellers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
question still stands. isnt it a more efficient use of the actions length to chamber for the longer round?

Not necessarly. When you get to the heavier bullets you use up case capacity in the longer cases. I've found that in the 7x57 you need not infringe upon the case capacity when seating longer heavier bullets and velocities are so close as to give the nod to the 757 by virtue of it being much less expensive to load for.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well I can tell you this...

in 6.5 mm, I had the chance to test the 6.5 x 55 against a 6.5/06 when I was going to build a new rifle.. along with the 6.5 x 284....

in a long action, I found that I could get pretty much the same max velocity with a 6.5 x 55, in a long action, with the bullet seated out to magazine length... with 5 to 10 grains less powder... than I was getting out of a 6.5/06 and a 6.5 x 284....

in the end, I put a barrel on the Winchester in 6.5 x 57.. (or a 6.5 Roberts if you will).. and compared the MV of that round to a 6.5/06 AI with bullet weights from 100 to 140s, and even against the 160 RN...

The 6.5 x 57, meet or beat the 6.5-06/AI across the board with 15 to 20% less powder in the process....

So a longer case holding more powder doesn't always rule the day....

Heck in my 260 Rem, in a short action... the ballistics meet or exceed what is listed for the long action 25/06 with both 100 and 120 grain bullets...If I was going to do a 25 caliber, I'd do a 257 Roberts or a 25/08 over a 25/06 any day... heck, with 100 grain bullets, the 260 Rem is not very far behind what is listed as Max velocity for 100 grain 257 Weatherby factory loads...

even compared to a 264 Win Mag, the 264 doesn't beat the 260's velocity potential by much.. and is taking a whole heck of a lot more powder to do so...like 25 more grains of powder to get 150 fps more velocity... I don't think so...

a handloaded 7 x 57, doesn't give up much to a handloaded 7 Rem Mag in a lot of bullet weights.. and how much extra powder it takes in the 7 Mag to gain an extra 150 to 200 fps in velocity is ridiculous...for what you gain...

2 clicks up on the scope adjustment will compensate me for the trajectory differences...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There isn't anything wrong with a Ruger #1 in 7x57. Mine shoots quite welland I take it hunting most of the time with a Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57 as a back up rifle. I won't hunt with a Ruger single shot in inclement weather as Ruger doe a very piss poor job of sealing the stock's interior. Now, I seal them myself, but rather than trust to fate, always have a back up plan.
The 7x57 does just fine, even with the somewhat anemic factory ammo, but with proper handloads, is one hell of a good hunting round that can, witht he right powder, snap at the heels of the .280 Rem. factory loads. That's not to say you can't snap up the .280, of course you can, but the 7x57 is no slouch. The nice thing is, even with hot handloads it doesn't kick the snot out of you.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone tell me why you would want a 7x57 in a long action when you could have a 7x64 in the same action length?

Because it has class...
At least that is my reasoning...
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7x64 has Oooooooodles of class. wave

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:

bingo.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

bingo.

And the 7x57 is a crack whore? thumbdown

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, maybe you missed it, but right now, there are a couple of Ruger Model 77, bolt action rifles in 7x57mm for sale on GunBroker.com when you type in 7x57 Mauser.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
quote:

bingo.

And the 7x57 is a crack whore? thumbdown

no, just a sexy chick with really short legs and a dress that doesnt fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say grab one of those tangsafety 7x57 rugers on gunbroker and go hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I know this may be a silly question?? But, is anyone chanbering for this round these days in "new" rifles? Casually looked through Ruger, Browning, CZ, Remington, HS Precision, and a few other catalogs for this offering to no avail. Thanks for the update.

Larry Sellers

Larry,

You could contact the Voere company - the have a website - just do a search. Quite neat looking rifle.
Postal Address

VOERE-Kufsteiner Gerätebau und Handelsges.m.b.H.
Untere Sparchen 56
6330 Kufstein / Tirol
Austria

Phone: +43 5372 62547
Fax: +43 5372 65752

Mail: marketing@voere.de

Model 2155 is a decent priced classical hunting rifle. Original Mauser actions out of various productions are upgraded to new reliable hunting rifles. New stocks, barrels, triggers etc. are fitted finally all rifles are tested and proof shot. With the high grade finish all rifles are designed for rough conditions. There is a wide variety of options for model 2155 including the 7x57 mm. Among the options there is a synthetic stock. There are also a wide variety of options regarding stocks, barrels, safety, triggers. Model 2165 is the top-grade version. I noticed that Granite Arms Pty Ltd, Bendigo Australia, imports Voere rifles into their country.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact I can load a 7x57 up to higher velocity with any bullet than I can the 7x64, but only in a long throated 7x57 such as the Brno 21 and/or 22 models..My G33-40 custom will outperform the 7x64..I could not set the bullets out as far in the 7x64 even with a long throat...

Brass is also a problem with the 7x674 and I would much prefer the .280 Remington for that matter..

The 7x64 really doesn't have much to offer other than its something different..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote