THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Left hand model 70 7mm WSM FEATHERWEIGHT value help?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left hand model 70 7mm WSM FEATHERWEIGHT value help?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A local shop has a Left Hand Featherweight M70 Winchester, in 7mm WSM, for sale (I wish it were an ‘06 or 270). It is obviously a New Haven gun, and seems possibly Unfired. Christmas is coming and my son is left handed. I can get it for $700 (It’s a consignment). It’s not a very appealing cartridge to me, but I know works as advertised. If my son doesn’t like it, I would try to sell or trade up for something he wants. I know $700 is not a bad deal, but how much could this rifle be worth? Thanks for any advice.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would snatch that up in a heart beat. I have a Right handed 270 Win featherweight and would love a lefty.
I have several friends who shoot the 270WSM and really like it. One of them lives in Colorado and has used it on at least 4 Elk that i'm aware of.

I have a left handed Tikka with a 1:8" barrel chambered in 270WSM so I can shoot the heavy for caliber bullets. 170 and 175gr bullets at 3050 and 3000fps.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
To me you are buying a platform to start work on.

Bluntly, I'll give you $800.00 for it plus shipping. Like you, I have no interest in that particular cartridge, but as a starting place it seems like a short action model 70 has diverse opportunities.

Serious offer, let me know.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wish i paid only that for my 300wsm fwt lh ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 1300 based on recent sales on gunbroker.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At that price I would definitely give that rifle a chance. I bought a Sako in .270 WSM and really like it. It probably does not do much that a standard .270 will do but it is definitely effective on game. I think the 7mm WSM is ballistically equivalent to a 7mm Rem. Mag. There are lots of 7mm bullets to choose from if you are a handloader. The WSM brass is fairly heavy and seems to last a long time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were left handed, I would not hesitate to buy it. I have no idea of the market worth.
I have bought right handed standard stainless versions in other WSM cartridges, a few years ago for slightly more.
I personally like the WSM cartridges, particularly the 7mm & 325’s.
The 7mm WSM to me is 7mm Remington mag performance in a short action.

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
A local shop has a Left Hand Featherweight M70 Winchester, in 7mm WSM, for sale (I wish it were an ‘06 or 270). It is obviously a New Haven gun, and seems possibly Unfired. Christmas is coming and my son is left handed. I can get it for $700 (It’s a consignment). It’s not a very appealing cartridge to me, but I know works as advertised. If my son doesn’t like it, I would try to sell or trade up for something he wants. I know $700 is not a bad deal, but how much could this rifle be worth? Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot and reload 7mm WSM. Will outperform the 270 at every level.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same rifle in a right handed version. Very effective cartridge and a nice platform for it. A friend of mine now owns it.
Shot extremely well with 160gn accubonds and Reloder 25 at 3030 FPS.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My married daughter shoots a 7mm WSM model 70 and has used it in North American and Africa with perfect results.

The price is certainly right and you should be able to find a load suited for his use.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
To me you are buying a platform to start work on.

Bluntly, I'll give you $800.00 for it plus shipping. Like you, I have no interest in that particular cartridge, but as a starting place it seems like a short action model 70 has diverse opportunities.
Serious offer, let me know.

Scott,

I found a second one locally for about the same price and condition. You have a Pm.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's about what I paid for my RH version brand new.
if it's plastic check the forearm for flex.
about 1/2" worth .... LOL

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the plastic stock flex. Not my preference, on any of the M70’s. But seems to work for several people. I have replaced the the factory plastic ones (featherweight / standard barrel; WSM through 375 H&H Length) with McMillan, Bell & Carlson, and H-S Precision. I do think they make a good “platform”.
As a platform approach, the WSMs would make a fine B&M Cartridge chambered rifle.
The stainless and blued factory featherweight rifles also look pretty dang good in a decent piece of wood.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree on the plastic stock flex.

A easy fix I have done so on a dozen or so rifles

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood and blues steel. Left handed.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
I agree on the plastic stock flex. Not my preference, on any of the M70’s. But seems to work for several people. I have replaced the the factory plastic ones (featherweight / standard barrel; WSM through 375 H&H Length) with McMillan, Bell & Carlson, and H-S Precision. I do think they make a good “platform”.
As a platform approach, the WSMs would make a fine B&M Cartridge chambered rifle.
The stainless and blued factory featherweight rifles also look pretty dang good in a decent piece of wood.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

The B&M cartridges is exactly what I had in mind. I'm currently having some brass made for my 400 H&H in the works and Roberson can do the B&M cartridges.
I think the hang up will be the reloading dies and bullets.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your custermer base is much smaller, but if I were left handed Id jump on $700 or more in a heartbeat, those left handed guns are fairly hard to get, so go with the right handed market for your pricing and only lefty will buy it but he needs to pay the same as a right hand shooter pays for a rifle..so there! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote