New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1’s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Maybe I’m just out of touch, but I don’t get what’s happened to the pricing on Ruger #1’s. I’ve owned several of these over the years and only had one that wouldn’t shoot well. But the current pricing is just crazy. And I see the same issue in some other guns. What’s going on?

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now is not the time to buy. Inflation happens when people panic and buy.

But I’m not an economist.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The days of $400-$700 Ruger no.1's are gone

Around $1300 is easily found in my area. One store has a brand new in box never sold stainless/walnut .45-70 and a blued/walnut no.1-a .257 Roberts for $1995.00. I'm sure in time both will sell. I want both but will need to flip some guns for a decent profit so I don't feel the burn of the mark up.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
The days of $400-$700 Ruger no.1's are gone

Around $1300 is easily found in my area. One store has a brand new in box never sold stainless/walnut .45-70 and a blued/walnut no.1-a .257 Roberts for $1995.00. I'm sure in time both will sell. I want both but will need to flip some guns for a decent profit so I don't feel the burn of the mark up.

What he said. Production costs have just become too high to produce #1’s at yard sale prices, like 25 years ago. I’m bummed about Ruger single action prices as well, and their current lack of production and availability. Every company is concentrating on cheap (but very accurate) rifles like the Ruger American, Savage Axis, Mossberg patriot etc., and AR-15 variants. Most lovers of classic sporting rifles are getting old, #1’s aren’t popular enough for the high production numbers that might keep cost down to a reasonable level. Number 1’s were never really cheap to produce.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned five #1s. Four of them were poor in the accuracy department. The last one, a #1B in 218 bee has reasonable accuracy and I’ll be keeping it.
And yes, the prices of them are insane.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a #1 won't shoot, it usually just needs some specific tuning...The best Ive seen is Y shaped forend gizmo, with screw set adjustable..glass bedding or both..Since Ruger went to making their own barrels has made a big difference. The last two I have owned shot an inch out of the box.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Atkinson. I had a very early 243 that was a tack driver. I understand that Ruger changed barrel providers and I had several in that period that were 1.5 to 2.0 inch groupers. My most recent (257 Roberts.) has been a great shooter right out of the box but the wood is not as impressive as in the past.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray in that glass bedding the forend will make a lot of difference. In addition, gun prices are up in general, not just because of the political climate but that is a part of it, but right now, EVERYTHING steel related is through the roof.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im more concerned about $7.00 gas than the cost of any rifle today!! a few fillups will buy a decent gun these days

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote