THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    How does the Browning BAR gas system work??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does the Browning BAR gas system work??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where does it actually pick the gas up to run the system??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth...I'm trying to make sure that when I clean the barrel with wipeout (or any other cleaner) I'm just cleaning the barrel and not contaminating the gas system.......is this possible?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Where does it actually pick the gas up to run the system??

Take your forend off. Once you've got the screw out, bring the bolt all the way back. This way the forearm will come off easier.
The block, that is connected to the barrel is your "gas director" it feeds off of a hole in your barrel. This directs the gas against the assembly sitting on the spring and tube. The assembly gets rammed back, which twists the bolt head and opens the action.
The crucial part is the "gas director". (not sure of the actual name) It is not a big hole and can get filled with crap thus choking the system.

As for the cleaning agent interfering with the gas system, my advice is contact the manufacturer.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I spray the product from the chamber and then I immediately put the BAR on the Outers Varmiter Rifle rest, with the trigger guard up, the sights down and the muzzle slightly lower; I believe that's sufficient to keep the foam out of the gas system.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote