New
Find
Notify
Tools

most accurate out of the box
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats your most accurate rifle ever shot/ owned out of the box with factory or other than tweaked ammo.

Question:
the most accurate is...

Choices:
Steyr
other

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Other - Blaser R93 in 8x68S and 9,3x62 it shoots much more accurately than I am capable to.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Sako 6PPCs were in the 1/4 to 3/10ths MOA shooters out of the box. Plus just about any 40X ever made. And, Savage is shipping a 3-shot target, with ammo data (factory) with the 12-series that all are under 1/2" at 100yds. Pretty stiff competition IMHO.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Savage, almost any caliber bolt action.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka would get my vote for the most accurate out of the box rifle, closely followed by Sako.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL of the Blaser Rifles I have shot, or seen shoot have been very accurate.

I would have to say they are the most accurate I have seen.

I have owned several Steyr rifles, the older models with the multiple rear locking lugs, and have forst hand experience with many of the SSG's in 308. ALL the Steyrs were also very accurate.

I have no experience with the newer Steyrs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All three of my CZ's shoot excellent.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
My CZs shoot better than my Steyr in 260.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Out of Tikka, Win 70, Ruger, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, and Remington, the most consistently accurate out of the box were Remington 700s and Browning Bolts.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot understand the lure of Steyr Rifles. While reliable and reasonably accurate, they are not even close to the top.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
In 2000 I bought my nephew a Tikka 30-06 on sale at Turner's in California for $399.00 that shot Hornady 150 factory ammo at 3 shots inside 3/4" at 100 yards. Can't beat that!

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
I cannot understand the lure of Steyr Rifles. While reliable and reasonably accurate, they are not even close to the top.

30378 - if nothing else it is the history and pedigree and names that were connected to Steyr: Mannlicher, Schönauer...

when I was a kid I dreamed of having one. If Mauser was a Mercedes, Steyr-Mannlicher would be a BMW here in EU in the 20th century (pre Sauer and Blaser era).

P.S. Full stock (stutzen) is purely their idea.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRC 1999 with one of their hand-lapped barrels.

Or a Savage or Tikka - they seem pretty equal as the best straight from the box, factory rifles.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Wby Accumark! (That should be good for some angry posts!!!) Sako, tikka, Howa, Wby Vanguard, and Remingtons are all about the same. Browning A bolt would be next, then come the Mauser based actions.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted other as I've never fired a Steyr. I'm sure they are fine firearms, I just don't buy new firearms very often. Most of the ones I buy can be made quite accurate for less money than a Steyr new. Probably the most accurate rifles I've bought so far with no work at all done to it is a used Parker Hale 1200 .270 and a New M700 ADL .30-06. Other than load development I haven't had any action, trigger, or bedding work done to make them shoot sub MOA with three rounds and slightly larger with five.

I find polls like this one and the one that got KSTEPHENS to do his own poll pretty much worthless. Voting pretty much shows that we all have our personal preference as to firearms. I'm sure I would enjoy owning a Steyr but I enjoy owning all of my rifles.

posted Hide Post
I'm going with a Weatherby Eurosport in 7mm mag.

Posts: 7 | Location: ohio | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This poll is pretty funny. Not much doubt who the 1 voting for Steyr is.
KSTEPHENS, I'll agree that Steyr rifles are very good rifles. I have 4 and wouldn't mind ending up with another couple here or there either. But while they are good, they aren't the be and and end all of rifledom. You really should try a few others just for fun.
Using only and obsessing over Steyr rifles is kinda like only dating Redheads. Not that there's anything in the world wrong with Redheads it's just there's some other nice stuff out there you're missing..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mid 1970's I ran a public shooting range and was a dealer. I was getting great deals on close out Husqvarna FFV's. I sold as many as I could to my regular customers. Everyone was a great shooter right out of the box. I have never known of any other make of rifle to be that cosistently accurate and reliable.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
DJ, too funny, Rem man, surprised you voted other than rem! I saw a Smith and Wesson Mannlicher stocked 30/06, cannot recall model by memory, but it did have the Husky action, not a 98 style, but a new modern bolt design, smooth as butter, thought about making a 338/06, price was 450-500 range IIRC....if that is the action, it was smooth and nicely finished.

As to Steyr, there nicer rifles I'd own, but not sure if I'd fork over the dollars.....there was a nice 6.5x55 Mannlicher new/nice wood on an auction site but over 2k......a CZ would have done well for a fourth the cost. The newer Stery's with matte finish/syn stock are MUCH less cost, not much more than other brands IIRC, but I cannot warm up to the looks. I trust they shoot very well also. Lock time on a rear lug action I hear is ultra fast. Not a bad thing and their triggers seem nice.

My favorite........well hard to pick one. Esp. if affordability factors but I have seen accurate rifles of many brands, and each one is unique, had tack driving remingtons, and other 700's that shot like 870's!!!!!!

Accuracy is wonderful to have, but I also look at reliability, durability, finish, looks, user friendly controls-i.e. safety/triggers, fit/feel to me, customer service, and yes price as well.

All the things above influence me when I choose my next purchase.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr .222rem with a pencil thin barrel which is very accurate - genuine 1/2" gun with multiple loads.

I also have a Sauer 202 - it's just better. Better design, better trigger, all steel - absolutely no plastic. It is a little more accurate, but it's a 270, so its rather harder to wring the best from it compared to a .222.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Shipster
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WSM.

Only Accurate rifles are interesting.

Posts: 13 | Location: OREGON | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've had a few accurate out of the box/factory ammo combinations and in no particular order they were;
Remington Titanium in 7mm-08 Remington 140 grainers thumb
Husqvarna 1600 in 30-06 Highland 150 grainers thumb
Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 Norma 156 grainers thumb
Blaser R93 in 308 Remington 150 grainers. thumb
They were all very good Smiler
The worst new rifle with factory ammo?
Kimber 84M in 7mm-08 Remington 140 grainers, 2.5 inches at 25 yards, bloody useless. thumbdown

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
Savage, almost any caliber bolt action.

Exactly.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Tikka in 243! Although I was not the shooter or owner.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but my weatherby 300 mag in the stainless submoa shoots straighter than anything I have in the safe. I haven't tinkered with it one bit except to lighten up the trigger slightly. The thing is an absolute tack driver at up to 400 yards (I don't hunt at that distance, but do enjoy plinking with it at that distance). My gun shoots the 180 grained weatherby factory bullets the best, and b/c weatherby's ammo is accurate enough, I don't handload for it.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate factory rifles that I have ever shot on average are the Brno M-21 and 22, I have owned one that wouldn't tack drive and I have owned many of them..I could say the same about the Win. M-63 22 auto, they all shoot like high dollar target rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a heavy barreled Remington M 700 chambered in .22-250 that is scary accurate.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Other.

A Mark I Ruger 77V in .220 Swift. It's printed 5-shots in the .4's and 3-shots in the .1's at 100 yards. Best 500m group is 2.75".

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention my daughter's Howaby Vanguard Compact .308. It's a 1/2" 3-shot gun at 100 yards.......on a teenager's budget!!

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a gunsmith and shoot alot of guns and I just can't believe those 200 stevens,I have one in 243 I bought for coyotes and a knock around deal, that i didn't have to worry about scratching and i'll tell you it shoots as good if not better than some 1000.00 guns i've shot but i'll tell you savage is making some great guns now.The CZs shoot real good also and sako and tikka and I have a couple remingtons but I have to do work on them to get good groups.I just bought a new remington mod 7 cdl in 7mm08 for whitetails and it shoots good with the right handloads.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SSG heavy bbl in .308 is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever fired. Consistent 1/2" or less with Remington yellow box 150's.

Worst new rifle? Dakota 76 7 RM, 26". Finally sent it back to the factory. The jury's still out.

I have a Browning A Bolt in 7RM that cost $400.00 used at a gun show 15 years ago that shoots tighter groups.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
That's easy, R93!

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
Wby Accumark! (That should be good for some angry posts!!!) Sako, tikka, Howa, Wby Vanguard, and Remingtons are all about the same. Browning A bolt would be next, then come the Mauser based actions.

John

I must surely agree with you!

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two most accurate out of the box rifles are the sako TRG-S in 30-378 and 338 lapua. One hole 3 shot groups are possible with the 30-378 (when i am not twitchy!); both are probably more accurate than I am.
I also have a 308 steyr pro hunter which gives me .75' groups with hornady SST handloads

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote