New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 Sendero - opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have strong positive or negative comments on Remington's Model 700 Sendero or Sendero SF?
Accurate, dependable?
Thanks

Posts: 10123 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help.

Posts: 10123 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhh...I'll be interested to hear anything, too, a local shop has a Model 700 Sendero SF in .300 Wby. and a Leupold 4-12x VariXIII for around $1300 that I've had my eye on. Anyone know if the Wby. calibers in the Sendero have a 24" or 26" barrel?

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the prices, nor all the variations.

Before there was a Sendero, I bought a Bull Barrel 308Win M700VLS. Had a problem with a few folks "occasionally" out-shooting my regular Hunting rifles. Got the M700VLS, made up some Starting Loads with H380 and 165gr MatchKings, took it with me and after one day I never heard another disparaging comment. Big Grin

A buddy, Don, bought a Sendero in 25-06 and put a Zeiss scope on it. Amazingly accurate!

All the "V-Series" rifles I've ever shot and loaded for, came with SAAMI Minimum Chambers. That in itself helps significantly with Accuracy. However, that also means they do not always show the Highest Velocity compared to rifles with Large Chambers and loaded to the same Pressure.

Some have had the Barrels Fluted to reduce weight and that is also a two edged situation. HEAVY is easier to shoot accurately at long distances since your breathing and heartbeat have less effect on the Higher Mass. Of course, toting them around is les fun than a light rifle, especially in Sandy soil or up/down terrain.

And the older ones have the Fastest Production Trigger ever made - the never improved upon Walker Trigger. There are a few folks who do not understand that Triggers need "cleaning" and that can be an issue if not done. Of course, they don't have the mental ability to tie their own shoes either or work light switches. shocker

The MARINE CORPS thinks well enough of the Walker Trigger that it is still Ordered on all of their new purchases. And the same Walker Trigger is still in use on the 40X rifles, no aftermarket triggers needed.

Great rifles. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Accurate"

They are factory production rifles, some are good, some are very good, some are great.

"dependable?"

I've never heard of a barral, etc, falling off nor a failure to fire from any factory rifle so I suppose they are as dependable as mechanical devices get. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero in 338 Rum. I played with the bedding a little and tried several bullets and powders and found that my rifle likes TTSX bullets and RL25..a lot.I have shot several 3 shot groups in the 1/2 to 5/8 inch range at 200 yds.Even with the flutted barrel it is a little much to carry around all day but if you can sit in a blind its my go to rifle of choice for longish shooting.There are more accurate rifles out there but the Sendero gives you a pretty accurate rifle at a price just about anyone can afford. Mine is NOT for sale.

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dependable as any other Rem 700. I've had several in 7mm RUM & 300 RUM all were very accurate.
Dealer price is around 1K. The 338 RUM is desireable if you can find one, beleive there is one for sale now on LRH--$1150.00

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned Sendereos in both black and stainless (SFII)
264 rem mag
7stw (rechambered fro 7mag)
300 RUM (3)
338 RUM

I usually am not shooting ground squirrels or prarie dogs as such.
I've taken hogs, white tail and mule deer with mine.
All would do an inch or better with my handloads at a hundred. I also don't do much long range, although I did once take a whitetail at a measured 590 yds with my 338 RUM, but that's another story. Most of my shots are 200 yds and under.
I mainly do stand hunting, don't do much spot and stalk for big game. The rifle ain't light. In fact, walking in a foot of snow, uphill at 9,000 ft. when you're a flatlander could make you wish you had a ultralight strapped over your shoulder. But when the time comes to pull the trigger, you're generally not disappointed. They feed and chamber fine. I'm not hunting DG so a push feed is fine. The finish on the blue steel senderos resist rust and you don't have the problem of scratches and dings.
Look hard and you can find them used in the $750 to $900 range.
Best
GWB

Remington 700 Sendero, 7 STW

Being in the right place and the right time !

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned the SFII in .264 and it was one of the most accurate rifles I have had. Several diffrent bullets and weights would shoot great groups and 100 and 120 grain B-Tips would shoot bugs (lady and boxelder). The palm swell I found to be too big to be comfortable and they are heavy, and so I said goodbuy. Most of my hunting involves alot of walking. I'm sure I will own another one.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did load development for a friend who has a Sendero in 257 weatherby. I was impressed. The rifle shot well.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
I know a gut who has one .25-06 that is very accurate. As to its reliability it's a 700, there good guns.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have one, and Hot Core is going to love it, in a 270 Winchester. With IMR4831 and 130 Grain Ballistic Tips, it'll put 3 in the same hole every time the barrel is cold.

No complaints on any 700 I own or have owned.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one in 300 rum. and my brother has one in 25.06 both are tack drivers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 RUM...1/2" at 100. Likes 200gr loadings.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post

This is a set of targets after I UBCed some barrels. Left hand target top left corner is what my Sendero 25-06 does with 75 grain Vmaxs. That's a five shot group. The gun will not shoot Barnes bullets nearly so well but it refuses to shoot poorly with the Vmaxs.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two and they are both tack drivers.I like the older stocks better than the bulky palm swell on the newer ones.I've never seen one that was a poor shooter.My 7mag Sendero is awesome,I must say it is the best shooting rifle I've ever seen.It's produced many hole ragged hole groups for me and it's not fussy about what I feed it either.And mine are NOT for sale either.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in the standard 7 mag and another in STW and both will shoot 1' or less depending on me with both factory and handloads. In fact with Federal 150's in the STW I haven't even bothered working up loads for it yet. I got the rifle and the ammo in a deal that was just to good to pass up. My good friends have them in 300 RUM and 25-06, and both shoot the same as mine, and no issues at all with them other than they are a bit heavy to tote around.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25-06 and a 300 Winchester. They are both fantastic rifles.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an SFII in .25-06. When I purchased it I had half inch or better groups in mind with the goal of using it as a long range varminter with occasional deer. The only modification I have done is to lighten the trigger pull. I have approached half inch groups with the 75,85,90 gr bullets but have trouble getting under an inch with 100gr bullets and up. I haven't given up hope of sub half inch yet as I am still quite early in load testing.

The stock fits me very well and it has a nice palm swell that fits my hand.

I am very happy with the gun. If I had to sell all of my guns, it would be one of the final two to go......

Posts: 27 | Location: Pullman, WA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have had several fluted, stainless Senderos through our workshop, and I am VERY impressed with every single one of them.

They shoot extremely accurately.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66871 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
mine is in 308 winchester, will put 5 shots in a single hole and has accounted for 129 whitetails without ever not hitting meat when the trigger is pulled. obviously, i like mine. also, with the 26 inch barrel--- it get better velocity out of it than the 22 inch 30-06's on some loads.

Posts: 5695 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Ohhh...I'll be interested to hear anything, too, a local shop has a Model 700 Sendero SF in .300 Wby. and a Leupold 4-12x VariXIII for around $1300 that I've had my eye on. Anyone know if the Wby. calibers in the Sendero have a 24" or 26" barrel?

Sendero models always have 26" tubes.

The "sendero" is simply the Long /Magnum action variant of remington's "Varmint" rifle and these have a long reputatio of accuracy.

My 223, 25-06 and 7mmMag have all been exceptional.

AD

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great shooters but too long and heavy to carry around much IMHO

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the SF model in 7mmSTW. Great gun! Loaded it for 110grTNTs for varmints & chucks. Best was a chuck at 688yds. For deer here in the east 139gr SST. Longest 561 yds. It's a sweet shooter. All hand loads & no sweat getting consistent .5" groups @ 100yds. As Mke/Tx pointed out , it is a bit of a hand full to wander around with. Great gun.

Bill

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I have a M700 Sendero SF in 7mmSTW. I shoot 140 gr Nosler Partitions @3375 fps. That's a flat shooting deer load that has claimed several deer for me. I no longer really need it, but it's not for sale. It's one of my most accurate rifles. It's made for "beanfield" applications. It's a little heavy to carry.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:

Sendero models always have 26" tubes.

The "sendero" is simply the Long /Magnum action variant of remington's "Varmint" rifle and these have a long reputatio of accuracy.

My 223, 25-06 and 7mmMag have all been exceptional.

AD

AD

Many of the first production Senderos in a variety of calibers had 24" barrels. I have a first year production factory 270 Winchester Sendero that has a 24" barrel.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a two shot group the best a Sendero can do?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swampie,

If you are refering to the pix I posted, my reply would be no,
I generally get one hole groups when I only shoot once at the target dancing

But thanks for asking homer

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Great shooters but too long and heavy to carry around much IMHO

My feelings exactly. I have a Sendero in 300RUM and it shoots like a laser beam but it rides in the truck as my canyon shooter and I hunt with a Model 70 in 338. Most of my hunting in the states is for Elk and this is my set up.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I have an early Rem Sendaro SF in 338 RUM and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own and was that way right out of the box.

Every bullet I have shot will print under two inches at 200 yards and some 210's and 225's will shoot 1 1/8" outside spread.

Great rifle, I've taken elk and deer with it and it is a great killer as it puts animals down fast and dead.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of getting one in 300 RUM for a long distance rifle or should I just get a SPS model and get a nice stock and get some gunsmith work done to it

Posts: 130 | Location: PA | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero SS in .300 Win Mag. Too heavy to stalk with but quite accurate for long range work and stand hunting.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never have heard someone being disappointed with a Rem 700 Sendero. I have two (270 & 308) and want more!!

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
I have a Sendero SS in .300 Win Mag. Too heavy to stalk with but quite accurate for long range work and stand hunting.

WHOW André - that is a nice result...!
With which bullets did You got this result?

I am realy thinking about buying me a Sendero as well, but I am unsure about the caliber to take... .300WM was the favourite so far...

Best regards,
Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
several years ago i bought a blued sendero in 300 win mag just for shooting whitetails across my soybean fields. the gun was heavy, but very accurate with 180 ballistic silvertips. no problem laying a deer down at 400 yards if i did my part. eventually sold it because of the weight, but never regretted buying the rifle. mine never gave me any problems.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks Klaus. This group was shot with Sierra 180 SP Pro-Hunter / N 160 / 71.5 (the funny thing is that this rifle shoots hunting bullets better than MK !?!).

It shoots about all bullets < 1 MOA but really shines with 180 grainers of all shapes (SP, RN, BT, etc.). Anecdotally, I started loading with N 160 and got such fine results from the start, that my Sendero actually hasn't tasted any other powder Smiler

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I am realy getting more hungra André...

Hmm... I don´t realy need one, but it would be a nice toy... hmmm...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about one in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 RUM ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4718 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero in 338 RUM, SS fluted barrel. Very accurate rifle.

Jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote