The Accurate Reloading Forums
Scope rings for a BRNO mod 21H

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/608107354

27 March 2006, 08:42
Mickey1
Scope rings for a BRNO mod 21H
I just bought a 21H and need rings. Should I look for the BRNO rings or is there something else that works as good or better.
27 March 2006, 12:59
<JOHAN>
Mikey,
I like the talley as "factory offer". Tom Burgess makes great rings for Brno Smiler Smiler

Cheers
/JOHAN
27 March 2006, 19:48
1894mk2
Talley - works very well on my ZG.
27 March 2006, 22:44
Monastery-Forester
If you want to spend some money more, EAW has a new detachable mount for the BRNO. I have mounted it on my "new" 8x60S and it works fine!
But sure, the american mounts are much cheaper!
28 March 2006, 00:43
ErikD
quote:
Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:
If you want to spend some money more, EAW has a new detachable mount for the BRNO. I have mounted it on my "new" 8x60S and it works fine!
But sure, the american mounts are much cheaper!

Monastery-Forester,

Do you have a picture of these EAW mounts you could show us?
28 March 2006, 00:52
jjs
What type of scopes are you guys using with the Talleys?

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x VX111 in Talley 1" rings and I did not have enough clearence to mount that set-up on my H21 carbine. I tried adjusting the scope and rings but it just will not work...possibly I am doing something wrong? or this combination of scope and rings will not work...any suggestions?

Thanks, jjs
28 March 2006, 02:27
fla3006
quote:
jjs: I have a Leupold 1.5-5x VX111 in Talley 1" rings and I did not have enough clearence to mount that set-up on my H21 carbine. I tried adjusting the scope and rings but it just will not work...possibly I am doing something wrong? or this combination of scope and rings will not work...any suggestions?

This has been discussed several times on these boards. Brno 21/22s require high scope bases/rings for their bolt handles to clear most eyepieces:

I haven't tried them on my 21/22s but Warne or Talley high rings should work. Medium heights will work on ZG-47s & ZKKs but I'm not sure about 21/22s.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.
29 March 2006, 13:59
1894mk2
Talley only do mediums which is a ring height of .4"
29 March 2006, 16:45
KurtC
The Warne high rings work nicely. Also, there are period scopes that have smaller ocular pieces. Weavers, Leupold M7's, etc. The current Burris short-mag and the Leupold Ultralight have smaller eyepieces as well.
29 March 2006, 16:57
Savage99
The bolt handles on some of them were cut. Compare yours to the two pictures. If your bolt is inletted into the stock like mine then medium rings may clear.

Join the NRA
29 March 2006, 22:33
Monastery-Forester
Here a photo of the BRNO with a new EAW-quick detachable mount:

31 March 2006, 06:20
Savage99
How much clearance is there between the bolt and eyepiece?

Is the bolt handle inletted into the stock?

Join the NRA
01 April 2006, 00:20
Chisana
I put a set of Talleys on my 21H and was very pleased until I tried to cycle the bolt. Replaced them with a set of Warne high rings and they work fine. With the amount of drop the 21 stock has low rings would allow for a much better sight picture if they would allow the bolt handle to clear the scope.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred
15 February 2007, 23:27
NoelC
I had just got a set of Talley QD's for both my 21H's, and as mentioned the bolt handle hits the zoom ring and the bell.
I called Talley and the Gentleman said he only carries one height for the Brno/CZ rifles.

I am thinking of going with the Warnes now, but after seeing that pic of them above I may just get another set of factory CZ rings. They clear my Leupold 2.5-8x36 with the Butler creek covers perfectly.
Only downside is they are fixed. I always have a pack with me so an Allen wrench can fit easily in my bag for the next to never chance the scope has to be removed.
15 February 2007, 23:37
TC1
Monastery-Forester, Very nice!

JJS, You need to look into a set of these!

I've got an old set of Warnes low mounts on mine, but you have to fit the rifle to the rings Razzer

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
15 February 2007, 23:42
.366torque
Very nice Monastery Forester! That would be the "swing out model", no?
16 February 2007, 00:15
Monastery-Forester
It is the "Hebelschwenkmontage" from EAW. Perhaps a bit high and not really cheap - but we europeans have no cheap mounts.
Last week I got a very nice model 22h in 7x57 with an old one piece mount and an old 9x42 (26mm) scope. I wanted to change this scope to a Leupold 3-9x42, but the rings are too wide. No I`m looking for a new, low cost mount, what would you say?
16 February 2007, 00:58
Monastery-Forester

Top: Brno Mod. "Z" (22h) in 8x60S with EAW-Hebelschwenkmontage and Schmidt-u. Bender 1,25-4x20, Recknagel trigger

middle: Brno Mod. "Z" (22h) in 7x57 with old Brno one piece mount and Leupold 3-9x42

bottom: Brno ZG 47 in 8x64S with german claw-mount and 1,5-6x42 Zeiss Victory, handmade english style stock, Timney trigger
16 February 2007, 02:20
NoelC
Monestary, those are beauties!
This is my newly aquired ZG47 9,3x62. Ziess DDR:

And my 21H in 7x57 with the factory CZ rings I mentioned with the Leupold 2.5-8x36mm:

The 8x57 I just got is almost minty but doesn't wear optics yet so it doesn't fit this thread just yet. :-)
16 February 2007, 19:06
Monastery-Forester
Noel, the factory CZ mount is okay? I think, that it is much easier to get a CZ mount in Germany than an american mount.

You can get very good mounts from EAW for Brno´s, but they are very expensive, the simple 250 Euros and the detachable (Hebelschwenkmontage) nearby 350 Euros. I don`tknow the price of the CZmount, but I`m sure, that it is much cheaper!
17 February 2007, 00:23
NoelC
Yes, I have the factory CZ rings on the 7x57 pictured. They are readily available in Canada for about 40 Euros (my guess) or about $90 CDN.
I looked at the EAW's before the Talleys and I near fainted at the price. A bit too much for this kid.

Do the EAW's quick detach from the whole reciever or do they leave the bases behind?

Only downfall to them is they aren't quick detach. The chance of actually needing QD is pretty rare but it would be nice to be set up that way.

The 7x57 sure is a shooter!

Thanks,
Noel
17 February 2007, 14:33
Monastery-Forester
I just ordered a set of Leupold mounts for CZ 550, I hope it will fit the old Brno!
19 February 2007, 06:59
NoelC
Hey Mickey,

For what it's worth, I measured up my CZ rings and they are a whopping .700" high! These are the ones pictured above and they clear the Leupold scope and Butler caps perfectly.

The Talley's I got measure only .415" high.

The one thing I see with the Talleys is the levers only mount on the bolt handle side of the reciever. The Warnes all seem to be on the opposite side which in my mind is a better place for them, out of the way. I am not sure if the Warnes are reversable for the anal retentive's like me or not! LOL

Hope this helps,
Noel
21 February 2007, 17:42
Woodjack
these look a neat setup:

http://www.conetrol.com/daptar_bases.htm