Find
Notify
Tools

not as pretty 9.3×64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
This is my 9.3 . Not even on the same truck as Oz's but it has proven to be reliable, accurate and a very successful rifle.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My general purpose load has been the 250 gr TSX and X bullet pushed by68.5 gr Rl15. Avg velocity is 2760 fps from the 21.5" barrel. My 2 nd load is the 285 gr Orynx or Mega pushed by 75 gr of 4350. Avg vel 2650 fps. I'm wanting to work up a load with the 250 gr TTSX and 250 AccuBond with Varget. The Rl 15 doesn't do so good in the cold. I tried H4895 but it was a little to fast burning. Still I got a load that averages 2700 fps with the 250s .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
250grn x's or Swift A Frames from the 9.3x64 would be just ideal for Alaska tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to decide on a scope for it. . Ideally the 1-6 SWFA SS HD but 1k$ is above my price range. At one time I had a 1.5-6×40 Burris E Dot on it . It was probably ideal but newer technology and capped target/tactical turrets along with a scope that can take a thrashing and not loose its zero . A mil reticle and illumination would be great also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that rifle.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Nothing wrong with that rifle.

x2

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
reliable, accurate and a very successful rifle.

What's not to like!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, for a general Alaskan rifle its great. I need to get a hundred more brass and a bunch of high bc bullets and wring it out. See how it does at 600. With a 6×scope that would be like shooting an animal at 100 yards on 1× . Which for a caribou is fine. I'll probably put a 1-4×24 Vortex on it. In the mean time. I like the reticle. Mil/mil. My eyes aren't quite as good with the express sights as they once were. But they are still my favorite summer time sights where the rifles job is bear protection. I know most guys don't, but I like the fore sight hood. I've broke off a couple front sights on other rifles. The windowed hood does help put the light in the right spot. If I was shooting in lots of sunlight I would prolly get a solid hood also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice practical hunting rifle.

Thanks for posting your loads with the 250gn T.S.X's.

I'm having a few "tweaks" applied to my own 9.3x64mm before load testing with the 250gn Barnes's.

Regarding scopes, I mounted a 1.5-6 x 36 that sits nicely atop and does not disturb the balance in any way.

Again, nice hunting rifle in a very interesting caliber that seems to be flavor of the month at the moment !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My enthusiasm for it waxes and wanes. But its paid for so it doesn't cost anything to have it. . If I still lived in good bear country, no doubt I would have killed some brown bear with it by now. I had it built because I wanted more speed than the 62 which.I had at the time.
The rifle fits me like a good glove and points naturally with both the irons and a scope .
And I don't have to grind my cheek into the comb. With the integral brake it is the easiest shooting rifle in its power class I've ever shot. I would like to develop 285 gr loads with H100v and 250 gr loads with Varget to see if I can improve on the powders I'm using now. . If anyone has done that, please share. !! Thanks.
Incidentally, the 64 is very easy on brass.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That has to be a very practical hunting tool for your neck of the woods. Boy, it looks cold up there!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-10°F this morning.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Good looking rig Glen,,that would be a fine Alaska Penisula rifle,,the 250's for spring and the 285's during the late fall hunts. If Ray McNutt would've been carrying a 9.3 instead of a 358 Norma I would have for certain got 1 and still be using it here at the Lake. When we hunted together you were carrying a 416,,do you still have it?

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that one. Had 3 more since then. Thinking strongly about a 416 Ruger Guide Gun ( hate that name) should be Guide Rifle. Its not a lever action. . But anyway I went thru a lot of guns for quite a while. Now I keep them and get more when I can. Still have the stainless Ruger 458 I had built the winter of 94 tho. I've eroded out 1/4" of the throat on it but it sure has paid for itself a lot of times. Money wise the 416 Ruger is the mostest for the leastest so I'm fairly sure thats what I'll get. Not that I need a 416 here. This country is what I had the 9.3 built for. . . I'll probably shoot the 350 gr TTSX mostly. Hopefully I can get 2600 fps with its 20" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 286gr Nosler Partition in my 9.3x64mm to "swat" a moose at 350 yards. Shoots plenty flat - really like the cartridge.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Nice bull MHC!!

It kinda looks like the Ak Penisula,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, very nice. 350 , that's stretching its legs. What scope do you have on it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Yes, very nice. 350 , that's stretching its legs. What scope do you have on it?

Swarovski 3 - 9x.....shot him at 5x....just held horizontal cross hair on his back line.....broke his near shoulder and clipped the bottom of the spine & through the offside lung.......dropped to the shot.....managed to get up, so shot some more, but he was pretty well done for after the first one.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.