Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 Magnum ???
 Login/Join

posted
I have a vintage Mauser Oberndorf factory sporter marked 9.3x62 Magnum. How does this cartridge differ from a standard 9.3x62 round?

Posts: 18 | Location: Essex | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Could it be 9,3 x 64 Brenneke? I have heard 9,3 x 62 magnum.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Could it be 9,3 x 64 Brenneke? I have heard 9,3 x 62 magnum.

No it couldn´t be, there are some references on the webb of different wildcats that would or could be designated 9,3x62.

However I have a strong belife in that the reference to magnum is this case, if it´s not in real life Mauser that is states is a reference to a line of x62 rounds that where loaded to a slightly higher level of pressure then older ammo.

Try and chamber regular ammo and you will find out.

pics would be greatly appriciated.

/C

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think there is some unwritten law that if it's European you call it anything you want Big Grin

Here is an 8X60MAGNUM

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I think there is some unwritten law that if it's European you call it anything you want Big Grin

Here is an 8X60MAGNUM

Terry

There was once a hot load (DWM, IIRC) of the 8X60S, called the 8X60S Magnum Bombe (pre-WWII). It featured a 198-grain bullet at a MV of over 2700 FPS with energy of around 3200 foot-pounds.

The only 62mm 9.3 caliber round I find listed in COTW is the 9.3X62mm Mauser round. Despite the fact that some ammo in this caliber produces almost 4000 ft/lb of energy, I see no reference to any of them being called a "magnum".

As far as the size of the cartridge case is concerned (the term "magnum" generally being applied to rounds that have larger than standard powder capacity compared to other rounds firing bullets of the same caliber), the 9.3X62mm Mauser round is not a true magnum. Rather, it is merely a .30/'06-size cartridge case necked up to fire .366" bullets.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dons,

I've been around 9.3 cartridges for a while and while no means a self-acclaimed expert I've never heard of a 9.3x62 Magnum, that's not saying one doesn't exist - obviuosly you've got a rifle so marked. Either someone thought the 9.3x62 was a Magnum and labelled it as such or made it into one from a "Magnum" case or another cartridge case entirely.

My initial guesstimate would be (based on the info available) that it's a vanilla-flavored 9.3x62 simply marked "Magnum". If it was supposed to be a 9.3x64 I would think it ought to be marked as such and the difference between the 9.3.62 and 9.3x64 cartridges are easily determined.

For one, you can easily inspect the bolt head to see if a 9.3x62 cartridge case head fits into the Mauser controlled-round bolt head by slipping a cartridge case under the claw and seeing if the fit matches. That ought to tell you if there's any differnce in the case & bolt head, anyway and certainly afford the initial determination between the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64 or even a "Magnum" (belted) case head.

As for the chamber, I'd attempt (under safe conditions) to chamber a 9.3x62 cartridge. If it fits, you're another step closer to realizing it is most probably a standard 9.3x62 but beyond that I'd have a gunsmith make a chamber cast to make sure you REALLY know what the chambering is.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gerry.

Get a chamber cast done. If it's recognizable as 9.3 x 62. You're done.

If not at least you got something to design dies from.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 9.3x62 is just that. It is a .366 caliber that has a 62mm long case, the word magnum is the European version of a sales gimmich, they had bean counters also...but yes, as advised get a chamber cast, that is always the route to go as who knows what evil lurks in the heart of some crackpot with a funny reamer! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote