Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 Extreme Weather
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Anyone have one? How do you like it. I'm thinking of buying one in 7mm Rem Mag.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 308 Win. It shoots sub MOA with my hand loads. Very well made, smooooth action, good balance. Don’t hesitate ! You will like it.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
A friend has one that I've shot quite a bit. Really great rifle and lighter than their catalog lists. To me they are one of the best factory rifles going right now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks all I'm going to do it Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one in .270 WSM and put 4.5 X 14 Ziess Conquest on it and it is a real tack driver. A buddy got a 7mm Mag that is also extremely accurate. If I had another in front of me I would not hesitate. My grandsons liked mine so much we ended up with three more but not the all weather, they are hard to come by. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have one in 300 WSM and one of my sons has one in 300 Winchester Magnum. Both of us love them! Swaro Z-5 scopes on both. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the daughters has one in a 7mm WSM but it's probably a dozen years old.

Shoots great for her. We threaded the barrel and installed a Harvester 300 suppressor and she LOVES it even more now. She just whacked a couple doe antelope with it this last weekend and will be using it on a buck antelope in a couple weeks.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I handled a few at my local gun shop today. A 7mm Rem Mag and a 270 Win. I liked the balance of the 270 a lot better. Of course the 7mm Mag had a muzzle brake which I hate. I could always have my gunsmith shorten the barrel by 2 inches and recrown it. The 7mm Mag had the CeraKote finish which is a plus.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have the 270 great deer rifle.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
I have the 270 great deer rifle.

It is, I gave my son the BDL in 270 I bought in the late 60s. Shot many elk, deer, javelina, 9 black bears amongst other things. It still shoots nickel sized groups at 100 yards. Still in great shape. They were made better back then. I hear the new Model 70s are very good. I may do it this weekend

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my big game rifles are extreme weather rifles.

"Extreme Weather" is a marketing term.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The only part of "Extreme Weather" I really care about is the rifle not changing POA during a really wet (read Alaskan) hunt.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me stainless and syt.

Any day in nasty weather over blued and wood.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are great rifles.
I have three stainless Winchester mod 70's. They all shoot sub MOA.
Do not know who is making those stainless pipes for them but they are doing a great job!
Taking a Win. Stainless 375 to Alaska in less than a week.
No fear!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Best of luck hunting!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have about a half dozen Model 70’s in the newer “classic “ versions. Two stainless and hard to find Alaskans, which are both very accurate. They have laminate stocks. Several others are regular blued/steel versions, and one Extreme Weather in .270 Win.

Not much to compare with, with a sampling of one EW, but I can tell you the one .270 I have is jaw dropping accurate for an off the shelf factory rifle. I have done nothing to it other than stick a scope on it and shoot it. No tinkering required.

First shots down the barrel were some newer Remington factory fodder with 140 grain bonded bullets and they shot 3/4 inch groups. I then worked up a load with 140 grain Nosler Accubonds and they routinely group 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I quit messing with it at that point as I see little point in worrying about improving things with fall being here and hunting to be done.

Plan to work with TTSX, GMX and Peregrine once the fall hunting is over with.
Bottom line with a sampling of one, I would not hesitate to buy another EW if I see one in a chambering I can’t resist.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. I handled a 270 Extreme weather in stainless. I would get it CeraKoted which isn't too expensive (my gunsmith, Kevin Weaver) can make it happen. It's very light, balance was nice. I may break down and get it this weekend. The 270 Win has always been my favorite cartridge for deer and elk. I have the 500 Jeff if I ever go again for brown bear

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Great to hear. I handled a 270 Extreme weather in stainless. I would get it CeraKoted which isn't too expensive (my gunsmith, Kevin Weaver) can make it happen. It's very light, balance was nice. I may break down and get it this weekend. The 270 Win has always been my favorite cartridge for deer and elk. I have the 500 Jeff if I ever go again for brown bear

I didn’t mention it, but my .270 EW is stainless, and as you mentioned, I also really like the way it handles and it’s weight. While most guys who know me usually expect to see a .338 WM or a.375 in my hands, the .270 has been my “light” rifle of choice for over 40 years. As you are no doubt well aware the reloading components we have these days just make this great cartridge perform so well that I just can’t get too whipped up about buying any of the endless list of new chamberings that offer little in the way of real life improvements in the field.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
One of the daughters has one in a 7mm WSM but it's probably a dozen years old.

Shoots great for her. We threaded the barrel and installed a Harvester 300 suppressor and she LOVES it even more now. She just whacked a couple doe antelope with it this last weekend and will be using it on a buck antelope in a couple weeks.

Zeke

Wow Zeke! I thought I was the only person in the lower 48 that owned a 7mm WSM!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol, not sure about the Lower 48, but there is at least one in Alaska. M70, New Haven Classic, with a Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x42mm, in a McMillan super grade stock.

I have not gotten around to shooting it. But, I have high hopes for it. I have an ample supply of brass for it. Speaking of brass, I was happy that Hornady had started manufacturing it. And their factory loaded 150 GMX.
I would like to try the Federal Trophy Copper 150 grain ammo. This grouped very well in a M70 New Haven 7mm Remington mag.

My planned hand-load is the Barnes TTSX 150 grain.
I took me awhile to warm up to the WSM cartridges. A 325 WSM broke the ice for me.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

I didn’t mention it, but my .270 EW is stainless, and as you mentioned, I also really like the way it handles and it’s weight. While most guys who know me usually expect to see a .338 WM or a.375 in my hands, the .270 has been my “light” rifle of choice for over 40 years. As you are no doubt well aware the reloading components we have these days just make this great cartridge perform so well that I just can’t get too whipped up about buying any of the endless list of new chamberings that offer little in the way of real life improvements in the field.

Totally agree. I've always loaded Rem brass, 215 (magnum) primers, 150g partitions and a lot of H4831SC. I get just over 3000 fps from a 22" barrel (my 60s vintage BDL in 270) with good case life and no pressure signs. Great accuracy too. I do want to add that I neck size only, (which makes the cases a bit bigger), but always cycle all the loaded rounds through the action before I go hunting.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them, a 264WM, 300WM and a 338WM.
All 3 are shooters and the 338 will put 225g Accubonds into less than half MoA.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great....now I want one.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote