Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage in a 308.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I'm sorting through a buddy's pile of 300 Sav. brass. He had 2 cans. Looks like the 300's in one can are all the "expanded" bases. The other can looks OK.

I can't see any other difference other than the expanded case head/base. They mic to .473.

Would this happen if you shot the 300'sav in a 308?

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope.
They were fired in an old 99 with sloppy chamber.
FL size them and shoot.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.
many of those savages got stretched out some, even though the 300 data in most books was held down for them.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
OK, they're going in the recycle bin.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Yep, sloppy 99 chamber.
When I was young and foolish, I had an Arisaka that had been chambered for the 300 Sav. Got reloads for a guy at work who had a 99. 2 out of 20 had head separation.

Tough way to learn.....

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one of those cut off chambered 31 savage rifles.
once I fit the cases and used the proper bullets it shoots a lot better than I thought it would.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nope.
They were fired in an old 99 with sloppy chamber.
FL size them and shoot.

I have a .300 Savage 99G made in the 1920's. Fired brass comes out waaayy expanded. I segregate brass just for that rifle. I "full length" size using a Redding neck sizing die. It sizes the over expanded body down just enough to chamber easily. If I used an actual full length sizer the brass would probably only make two firings before separating.

Posts: 129 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id toss them, lot of difference in a 300 case and a 308 case, work or not I don't know and don't care..I can think of a number of reasons not to use 300 Savage and 308s being switched out either way, other than using 308 or 243 and a set of case forming dies, and thats a waste of time and too expensive...seems to me a 300 savage in a .308 would have a very very short neck? would it not. Id sell the 300s and buy .308s..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
300 and 308 are very close, but that is not the problem anyway. You do not need case forming dies to make 300s from 308; but that is not germane here.
He has a sloppy 99.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
easy peasy conversion.
size, trim, done.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
no conversion necessary.

My buddy passed away a few years ago, all the rifles are sold and the 2 - 300's shot fine, I know because I had all his rifles at one time and I shot both the 300's.

He reloaded for everyone in his hunting gang/club. Just wonder why half the cases were segregated. I'm guessing one of the guys had a 99 with a sloppy chamber. I thought maybe they were fired in the wrong rifle.

PS Right my 99 , Left his TD was completely done over.

Candy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice 99s;
These things are hunting rifles, made to fire factory ammo, one time, maybe 5 times a year. They were not tight target chambers or lock ups. They are hammers meant to kill deer. Back in the hills in the 50s and 60s they were the third most common deer rifle; the Win 94 and Marlin 336 were #1 and 2. No scopes of course. Only bolt actions were the sporterized 303s and Mosins that Sears sold for $9.95.
I know, everyone on AR has one that is super tight, but that is not what I have seen.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I was at the range one day ... saw about 2 boxes of short necked 308 brass out on the ground ...

you guessed it ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is the question? I don't care to shoot short necked cartridges in any gun, it messes up the throat in time..I have two 99s presently and have owned several dozen of them over the years, they are the best saddle gun I know of..Both of mine are extremely accurate at an inch or better..The 250-3000 is incredibly acccurate and its a takedown which goes against all thats holy..Classic gun, built the old way on a lathe..If one glass beds a 99 forend tight and butt stock completely, it like any quality rifle will shoot an inch most of the time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote