Find
Notify
Tools

Sound moderators
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't but you can contact them directly.

This is their website:

https://txsilencers.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother formed 1 four suspensors.

Was out shooting with them today.

Very quite with sub sonic ammo.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
It may go against tradition, but once you have shot with a suppressed rifle you will know why there is an appeal to it.
It is simply more pleasurable. Carrying that rifle all day is the price you pay.
Shooting off sticks, in particular, is noticeably steadier with the suppressor holding your muzzle down.

Fully agree. I use suppressors on every rifle I have as well as my pistols. Amazing what they do.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I must be the odd one out here.

I hate the bloody things.

Makes the rifle front heavy and unwieldy.

And it looks bloody awful too.

For the 4th time today we agree.

However, they make me a better shooter.

I used one in Botswana at Tholo Safaris, 15 shots, 14 dead animals. I am usually a 2 or 3 shot per animal shooter, but the suppressor let me see the bullet impact so I knew Hit or Miss.

Are they ugly? yes
Are they a little awkward? yes
Will they make you a better shooter? Yes!

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've just joined the suppressor gang. Sons been wanting me to get something with a bit more reach and oomph than our 7mm-08's for long range shooting of bull tahr.

The rig below came available, 80 rounds factory ammo, 115 primed empty cases, packet of primers, unopened can of powder and reloading dies. Magnum suppressor and new Leupold VX3i scope, all for the price of a new bare X Bolt Hunter.

Too late to preserve my shot 70 year old hearing but hopefully will help preserve son's and grandson's.

Browning X Bolt Hunter 7mmWSM

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a stunning buy and the WSM is a cartridge I would like to try. Is the 7mm08 not quite enough for long range Tahr?

I wish we could use suppressors here in Aus!

I am making firm plan to hunt NZ next year, not getting any younger and I broke my spine in two places a couple weeks ago so nothing being planned in the near future Frowner. I can still walk so count myself lucky!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
That’s a stunning buy and the WSM is a cartridge I would like to try. Is the 7mm08 not quite enough for long range Tahr?

I wish we could use suppressors here in Aus!

I am making firm plan to hunt NZ next year, not getting any younger and I broke my spine in two places a couple weeks ago so nothing being planned in the near future Frowner. I can still walk so count myself lucky!

The problem, if it is one, with fitting suppressors is that most smiths recommend lopping a couple of inches of the barrel so the rig is not too long with a suppressor fitted. With most of the plastic stocked rifles in 7mm-08 the barrels are already 22"-24" so lopping another couple of inches does drop a bit more velocity. This is not noticeable out to say 250m in terms of effect on an animal but once you start hitting something out 400m or more some of the sting has gone out of the 7mm08 sized cartridges.

I used a 26" barreled 7x61 (7mm magnum) for most all my hunting on deer, chamois and tahr, and this cartridge did noticeably hit hard at long range. My youngest son pictured with a bull tahr above used his mates 7mm RM one year on a couple of tahr and said it killed quicker that his 08. Of course it was shooting a 160gr bullet at a MV around 3000FPS whereas his 08 is a 140gr around 2800fps.

Just shot the above 7mm WSM on target at the weekend and that suppressor is superb. Recoil way down to 08 level and without ear muffs (deliberately while son shot) there was only a crack about like a 22 magnum shot. No boom or reverberating noise at all. We were shooting in his paddock about 40m from the house and his wife didn't hear the shots from inside the house. My son had phoned his nearby rural neighbour to let him know we would be firing a few shots and he said he didn't hear anything.

My 10lb Shultz and Larsen 7x61 used to kick reasonably hard but the Xbolt Browning was a pussy cat to shoot. My son was real impressed and can't wait to get back on the tahr.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote