Tools

Ruger Express 338 Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
It’s the sling eye in the buttstock.
Mine was missing but the one from my Ruger No.1 stock threads right in.
Just wondering if the Express and the No.1 have the same sling eye. Bet they do.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Huvius! I agree that these were Ruger's best effort, even compared to the No 1.

On mine other than cleaning up the triggers slightly, I added red rubber pads and had the bolts jeweled, just because.

I'm amazed they weren't more popular. I bought my 375 after pricing integral rib barrels for a possible custom project. The RSM cost less than a barrel by a fair bit, so I bought the Ruger instead and had more $$ for optics (1.5x6 zeiss) and hunting.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
Nice looking rifle Huvius! I agree that these were Ruger's best effort, even compared to the No 1.

On mine other than cleaning up the triggers slightly...

I too agree about the triggers. They were the older Mark II triggers, not the excellent newer LC6 on the Hawkeyes. I've had a gunsmith fix all of my 'hunting' Express rifles, and left the rest of them in NIB condition.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
This discussion has gotten me interested in one of these rifles,what's a reasonable price to pay for one in 338 WM? how much would it weigh & the safety is not on the tang correct?thank for the assistance.

My 338 weighs 8lb, 5.2oz with no rings.
The safety is on the right side of the bolt shroud.
I do not really know what one would expect to pay for one as they just don't pop up that often.
My auction searches have found a few from 7-8yrs ago in the $1200-1500 range - don't recall if any were 338s though.
I'd think that one on the market today would be over $2K.

Congratulations on a great rifle,thanks for your help.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote