THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    ? 120 grain ballistic tip, low recoil 7-08 loads perform on deer?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? 120 grain ballistic tip, low recoil 7-08 loads perform on deer?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone!

I just got a Browning 7-08 A bolt II composite stalker, and I have loaded some 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips with 39 grains of IMR 4895. The manual indicates velocity will probably be around 2750 or 2800 fps in the 22" barrel.

I have chosen this bullet and load to keep recoil to a minimum. Because of a heart problem I have, I can't shoot full power 140 grain loads in this lightweight gun. The recoil would just be more than I could handle.

I believe that this will be a good load for whitetail deer at my intended shooting ranges (no more than about 250 to 275 yards max.) Also, here in Mississippi, it takes an exceptionally large buck to weigh 200 pounds. Most good bucks will weigh about 150 to 170.

Has anyone else used the 7mm 120 gr. ballistic tips on deer, and if so, what kind of results did you get?

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used a good many of the "older" generation 120gr B-Tips. Nosler is good about improving their Bullets and the last one I used typically made an Exit when going through the off-side shoulder when entering through the ribs.

I'm trying to recall if I took them to a Stand where the shots would have the potential to be over 200yds and I don't believe I did. Normally I took a different rifle(s) to those stands.

Don't have a clue about what the velocity is with them in my 7mm-08. I suspect it is starting a bit faster than your load simply because it is a SAFE MAX load of H414. With your Bullets Impacting at a slightly lower velocity, it should enhance the opportunity for you to get Exits through the shoulder.

Only two bad things about using them:
1. I never took a shot at a Deer if it was standing 1-row deep in the Beans. If I'd had a Partition, I would have taken those shots.
2. The generations I used tend to create a lot of Bloodshot meat. This should be reduced with the slightly lower Impact velocity you anticipate.
----

Just looked and the last ones I have are the generation that used Red and Green boxes with 100 bullets per box. They worked great and the newer generation(s) should do even better.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them out of my 7x57 at 3,000fps. I've shot some roe which are really small (75lbs) and a couple of fallow which would have weighed about 200lbs or slightly under.

The bullet is definately not a through and through penetrator. I would say exits would be the exception rather than the rule. I've recovered them from the little roe and from the bigger fallow. The first fallow was my longest shot to date (300yards) and hit the liver and lung. It was expanded under the hide on the far side - the effect was perfect for such a shot.

I will shortly be getting a 19.5" 7mm08 to use with a moderator. I will be using the same powder and hope for 2,800fps with 120gr bullets as do you. I will happily use the 120gr BT or the 120gr hornady on deer up to this weight but hope to use the 120gr TSX for the larger deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a friend took a 230lb texas whitetail last week using the 120 bal tip in a rem mod 7 with 18" barrel, it was a bang-flop at 150yds.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've been using this bullet in a T/C Carbine in 7-30 Waters. Makes a great load for my grandchildren who hunt mule deer with me. I'm pushing them a little slower than you intend, but they've performed well for us.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used it's cousin the 120 Solid Base in my 7BR XP-100. Muzzle velocity is quite a bit lower, but it has accounted for a number of Antelope, a Fallow deer, and a Texas Dall ram. Shots ranged out to 240 or so. Should serve your needs/desires well.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
120 Hornady SP have done well in my 7BR rifle, as have 130 speer. My 120 loads get 2875, mild recoil. Loads very effective in field.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies! Your info is greatly appreciated. Just as a side note, I took this rifle out to the camphouse today to sight it in. Rifle season opens in the morning!

After shooting a couple of shots to get on paper, I let the barrel cool and then shot 2 three shot groups to get my final zero. My shooting range at the camphouse is only 50 yards, and I was shooting off of a lead sled, but both of the 3 shot groups were small enough to cover with a nickel. Needless to say, I am well pleased with how this bullet and rifle combo performs on paper, and after reading your replies, I feel certain it will perform just as well in the field, provided I do my part.

Thanks again. If I manage to get a deer with this combo, I will try to post how it performed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote