THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    medium bore 338/06 Ruger Number 1

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

medium bore 338/06 Ruger Number 1
 Login/Join

<blooper>
posted
I purchased a used Ruger Number 1 in .243 with the intention of rebarreling to 338/06.
I chose the 338/06 simply because I have hundreds of 06 cases that I have hoarded over the years, also the cartridge intrigues me.
My dilemma is that because of the nature of the action I am not hampered by any OAL limitations.
With this cartridge is there any advantage to throating the barrel on the long side so as to possibly realize more powder capacity etc?
Thanks to all for your advice.

------------------

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since you don't have a box to fit the loaded round in you can make it as long as you like and still hold the bullet. If it were mine I would decide what bullet I planeed to shoot most. Decide how much of it I wanted in the case and have the chamber throated to give me as little jump as possible. The ideal throat is set for only one length and style bullet.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy would I ever love to have a #1A in a 338/06!!! Except without sights.

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will probably be in the minority here. This is the day of Super premium bullets and high velocity. BUT, I would make a ".338OKH" out of it. By that, I mean long throated, and use heavy bullets in it. I had one. I can tell you that a 275gr Speer at 2450 really did the number on Elk. I am NOT telling you it would be more effective than a 210 Nosler, or a 225 "X" bullet. It was just a fun, accurate, pleasant shooting rifle, with a touch of nostalgia with it..

quote:
Originally posted by blooper:
I purchased a used Ruger Number 1 in .243 with the intention of rebarreling to 338/06.
I chose the 338/06 simply because I have hundreds of 06 cases that I have hoarded over the years, also the cartridge intrigues me.
My dilemma is that because of the nature of the action I am not hampered by any OAL limitations.
With this cartridge is there any advantage to throating the barrel on the long side so as to possibly realize more powder capacity etc?
Thanks to all for your advice.

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Just my $.02 I have a 338-06 and I would not long throat it. The only reason I can see to long throat is for the heavy bullets but if thats all you want get a 338 WM.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnGun. Good post. Big problem though. The 275 gr. Speer has been discontinued for, I think, a couple of years now. I found out the hard way when I tried to get some for my .338 Win. mag.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I hoarded away 5-600 of them when I heard Speer discontinued them.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
MtnGun. Good post. Big problem though. The 275 gr. Speer has been discontinued for, I think, a couple of years now. I found out the hard way when I tried to get some for my .338 Win. mag.
Paul B.

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnGun. I did the same thing with .358 Win. brass when I heard Winchester was dropping the round. I wasn't playing with my .338 when the 275's were dropped, although I'd had the rifle for about ten years.
I do have 35 each, 275 gr. Hornady's that I found at a gun show in 35 caliber. They were dropped in 1967, IIRC. Don't know what I'll use them for, but I'll think of something.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote