New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's a 358 Win shooter...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 240 yard shot with the 200 gr TTSX via a custom pre-64 M70. Many other critters were downed as well.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have shot no trophies but the meat was great. All of them DRT. Don't remember the load but both the pointed SP and RN were Remington bulk bullets from Midway. The RN seemed to stop them a tiny bit faster. I would load them to walk and stalk the brush around Truman Lake in Misery. Any other hunting was spent using the SP. And the 200 gr Remington SP looks like a protected point, the RN appearing to be a 35 Remington design with jackets split. I wouldn't be afraid to use them on most anything I hunt. Note that I don't hunt Elk or Bear. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I can toss a rock that fast!! hammering

Im a fan of the 35 whelen and the 358 Norma, but I hunt deer in elk country saGebrush and ranges get a little lengthy..

My go to deer and elk RIFLE is a Brno mod 21 in 8mm/06 Ackley Improved, it lays those bulls down pronto, basically a 338/06 imp or whelen IMP. Its light and handy fits nicely in a saddle scabbard..I liked my 99A in 358 but believe I preferred the same in 308 which I now have in a 1950 99F..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Ray lets get together and hook up my LabRadar. Maybe the major league baseball guys would hire you. This is the same case used in the US military for years as a sniping weapon. Why does every one seem to knock it? So did everyone and the writers for the gun rags poo poo off the effectiveness of the 35 Remington? Just asking for a friend. Be well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I found a picture that I thought I'd lost some time ago. A spike bull I killed at daylight on opening day in central Oregon. My .358 win, 225gr Sierra spbt.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
me i love my savage 99f in 358 i shoot 200 grainers and 140gr flex tips prairie dogs had em

Posts: 16 | Location: salt lake city utah | Registered: 19 September 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the 358 Winchester is an underrated cartridge. There are some nice new mono bullets for it too. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike P, Your savage 99f in 358Win. is a great combo. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Mike P, Your savage 99f in 358Win. is a great combo. Brian

thanks i really like it

Posts: 16 | Location: salt lake city utah | Registered: 19 September 2021Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktail53:
I found a picture that I thought I'd lost some time ago. A spike bull I killed at daylight on opening day in central Oregon. My .358 win, 225gr Sierra spbt.

that's super cool elk and rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktail53:

You certainly know how to bring out the lust in me! Really like your rifle and the photo is good too.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, it is built off a Mauser action, Lothar Walther barrel. Shoots 200 grain Hammer bullets at 2685 fps. That holds 1500 lbs energy to 400 yards. Have only used it for 1 year yet, but hope to use it much more! That is one gun that puts a smile on my face when I shoot it!

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 29 November 2017Reply With Quote