Find
Notify
Tools

Who's a 358 Win shooter...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
and what rifle is it and what is your load - case, powder, and bullet as well as its primary query.

Mine was a BLR using W-W cases a Nosler 225 partition and a max load of H4895.

Thinking about getting another one...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a military FN that I had built close to 30 years ago in 358 Win. It sports a 20 inch barrel with a receiver peep sight and sits in a Bishop Classic stock. I think it’s a great Georgia woods deer and hog rifle. My primary loads are 220 grain cast bullets loaded to 1900 FPS.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've had or built about a dozen .. my remaining 2 are one built heavy on an 1903 and one build VERY light on a '36

i don't recall the formula, but i used the winchester 250gr bullet load of 748 behind sierra games kings .. all my rifle like that load..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the big bullet-slow to medium velocity calibers. I finally settled on a 338 Federal, giving me just a bit more range than the 358.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno ZKK 601. with 20" barrel, pop up receiver aperture sight, 358 Win. 160gr. CEB Maximus bullet at 2,750fps.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Who's?

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what you are talking about Big Grin

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to see if you were on line.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Mine was a BLR ...Thinking about getting another one...
Been there, done that. I've owned two BLRs in 358 Win. I really liked the first one but it was a bit of a hard kicker in the straight-stocked BLR so I sold it. Many years later I thought I'd give the 358 another try. So, I bought another straight-stocked BLR in that caliber. I took it hunting and it did well on deer (Portugal) but it still kicked too much for my liking in that rifle. If I was to ever get another 358 Win it would be in a full-length bolt rifle or maybe an AR10.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 99A in 358. I found AA2015 with a 250 grn bullet to be my favorite load.
I need to pick up a set of chambering reamers I know of for sale, just in case I need another sometime!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hawkeye in 358 win.
it has only ever shot 250gr. cast bullets on top of 50grs. of RL-19 giving me right at 2350 fps.
that's as fast as a jacketed bullet will go in that rifle so I'm out nothing.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre 81 BLR in 358 win. I'm loading 225 gr Woodleighs in W-W Super cases using WLR primers and 40 grains of H4198 at an OAL of 2.795".

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does 356 Winchester count??

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre-64 M88 Winchester. I "needed" it to finish my M88 collection, and it only has taken paper targets and steel plates so far.

I shoot the 230 gr. Saeco cast GC bullet sized .360 using 40.0 of IMR 7383 for plinking and the 200 gr. Nosler AB pushed with 47 gr. of IMR3031 Fed 210 at 2568 fps for my hunting load when that time arrives.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Shot one in a Savage 99 and really liked it. But I think a BLR in one would be perfect. Especially if it was a take down model Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom .358 Win. Mark X action, Douglas barrel, Mc Millan stock. M70 2 position safety. 2-7 Leupold.

48 gr. Imr 3031 200 gr. Rem. or Hornady

48 gr. Imr 3031 225 gr. Sierra or Nosler Part.

54 gr. WW 748 225 gr. Sierra or Nosler Part.

53 gr. ww 748 250 gr. Speer Spr. (REALLY HOT 2400 fps. plus!

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am. Most all is with cast bullets of 150 to 250 grains utilizing Unique, SR-4759, or 4895 powder.
BLR 1980 vintage:

Model 70:

BLR Lightweight Stainless T/D:

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My plinking loads are a cast 150 grain bullet powered with 10 grains of Unique. Old model BLR and Model 70 gets 40.5 grains of 4895 with a custom 225 gr. cast bullet for deer. BLR T/D is fed 23 grains of SR-4759/Lyman 358318 HP cast for deer.
I have taken elk with 48 grains of BLc #2 with 250 Speer and W/T deer with Sierra 225 usually with 48 grains of H-335.
A lovely cartridge to load for most of my cases have .308 or Lake City headstamps and a very few have the correct headstamp.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the 356 Win. should be included, it's basically a rimmed 358. It's a nifty cartridge for my TC Encore.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, not - no 356 Wins, how dare you appropriate my post. I am offended Big Grin

Isn't everybody offended by everything these days...LoL. dancing rotflmo

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike---I feel offended that you feel offended ! Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
yuck

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a custom 98 in 358win for awhile wasn't very accurate.

The velocities were nothing to write home about.

One of the few guns I sold and did not want back

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Custom, or bubba'd?

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mike,

No .358's here. Just some food for thought about caliber.

Spomer

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles in .358 Win

Savage 99 Brush Gun
Winchester Classic Featherweight with Pacnor bbl and McMillan Stock

I primarily use RL15 and IMR4320, but have used Trail Boss(pistol bullets), TAC, Benchmark, H335, and others.

For bullets I use an assortment of 158 gr .357 mag bullets (plinking), 200 gr Hornady FTX, Nosler 225 NBT and 225 gr SGK.

All work well, but it seems my "go to" hunting load is 225 SGK over IMR4320.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
quote:

Custom, or bubba'd?

Well it had nice syt stock Timmy trigger after market barrel of unk maker. Drilled and tapped and bent bolt handle. Leupold scope mounts and rings. Bluing looked good

Head space was right no trouble feeding extracting.

Every thing looked well done I saw no signed it was put together by bubba.

Was it a high end custom done by one of the high end makers. Most likely not.

But it looked well put together.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 358 Win is a T/C Encore with a custom MGM barrel. This was to comply with the "primitive weapon" rules in my state. I shoot 180 and 200 grain bullets in it and like it so well I use it during the regular deer seasons. One of two rifles that I have shot "mickey mouse ears" at 100 yards

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had two over the years in a Savage mod. 99F(circa 1950 models)...Nice short range deer rifle and saddle gun..but prefered the .308 for my needs....
I used a book starting load in my 99s of WW-748 and IMR-4064, killed well, a modern 348 Win in sheeps clothing!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Ruger Hawkeye stainless/synthetic stock. Other than the floated barrel, it's bone stock. It prefers Sierra 225gr GK's over Ramshot TAC. I've taken a couple of deer with it and it is a hammer inside 200 yards or so.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It's been more than 40 years since I fell in love with this cartridge. At the time my go to was the Hornady 250 grain round nose soft point. Maximum load of H335 because I was young and foolish. Hunting at the time in New York's Adirondack and Catskill mountains. Rifle was a tang safety Ruger 77 which wasn't the most accurate but short ranges made it immaterial. That was the 1970's, then in the 1980's along came a Ruger #1 in .357 mag, soon rechambered to .357 Maximum, and then again to .358 Winchester. Killed my best Maine black bear with that rig sporting one of the early Aimpoint optics. Never regretted my time spent with the 358, still have brass dies and bullets...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Winchester model 88, Savage 99, BLR and a costum Weatherby Vangard. The Vanguard has been my go to rifle the last few years

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
My rebored SAKO.358win - 225gr Nosler and Sierra do all I need. Max load of W748.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Blacktail 53,

Nice set up!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and nice elk Blacktail53!!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a great caliber in the Savage 99, Win.88 and 100, and the BLR, but in a bolt gun I much prefer the 35 Whelan in std or IMP version..The 358 was designed for short actions and shinned in the above, but a long action is wasted on that caliber IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray is right! I had one built in the 70's when the Whelen was still a wildcat. And I love it! If I were to do it again that is what I would chamber it for .35 Whelen or AI.
No more sweat , but better ballistics!

Hip

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always been curious about the .358, but the closest I have come has been .35 Remington in a Model 8 and .35-30 Winchester in a Model 94.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
You guys are right. The 35 Whelen is better suited to the long action bolt guns over the .358.
In a short action bolt gun or one of the Savage or Browning lever guns, the .358 really shines!

I only have two loads for mine and they're both wrapped around 225gr bullets.... Nosler PT and Sierra's SPBT share the same load of W748.

It's an efficient round, capable of longer range kills than most will give it credit for.

I had a big herd of Roosevelt elk come out of a cut onto an open hillside. They split into two groups. They knew we were around, just not where and were trying to find us. An old cow separated from the rest and I held on her spine. She went about 30 feet after the shot - Sierra 225gr SPBT double lunged her and was found in the off side shoulder. I lased it then, out of curiosity-257yds

Most of the rest of my elk kills with that rifle have been much closer and typically on the move. Exactly what the .358 excels at.

Any (most) rifles chambered for a .308 class of cartridge can be rebored pretty easily to make an interesting thumper for just a little money.

My SAKO carbine was originally chambered to the .243 - an odd combination in my view... For about $200 I had it rebored and it's been a favorite ever since.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
A 225 grain slug out of a 358 win is still travelling over 1800 fps and delivering over 1650+ ft lbs at 310 yards.

92% of my kills have been inside of 300 yards.

Knowing your actual trajectory is more important than what the trajectory is.

Mike