THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What year of manufacture for a Ruger 77?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What year of manufacture for a Ruger 77?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted
To dovetail off the M70 vs. Ruger 77 thread; the comments about the Ruger's simplicity and durability make it an attractive option for a 'go anywhere' rifle for here in North America. I'm thinking stainless/synthetic in .30-06. The problem is, Ruger only makes two rifles like that now. I will not purchase the American rifle, and the Guide Gun model just doesn't do it for me. So used is the only way.

I know in the past, Ruger M77s have had some issues, so my question is, what years of manufacture had issues, what version (MkII, Hawkeye, etc.) of the M77 had problems,and what where those problems? Where any of those issues easily remedied?

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several stainless MKII syt stock rifles from early on to fairly new never had a problem with them.

I don't think one can say a specific year or time period can be pointed out.

Any mass produced item can turn out a bad one and all manufactures have that problem.

If you want the toughest stock buy a boat paddle one. Ugly as sin but it would be very hard to break it.

I have the same rifle your talking about MKII 30-06 stainless with boat paddle brought many years ago.

It well be around for a long long time.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35whelenman:
To dovetail off the M70 vs. Ruger 77 thread; the comments about the Ruger's simplicity and durability make it an attractive option for a 'go anywhere' rifle for here in North America. I'm thinking stainless/synthetic in .30-06. The problem is, Ruger only makes two rifles like that now. I will not purchase the American rifle, and the Guide Gun model just doesn't do it for me. So used is the only way.

I know in the past, Ruger M77s have had some issues, so my question is, what years of manufacture had issues, what version (MkII, Hawkeye, etc.) of the M77 had problems,and what where those problems? Where any of those issues easily remedied?

Thanks for the help.

I believe some of Ruger's early model 77s had an issue with their trigger.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .300 Win mag M77 Mk2 bought in 1995. It had the boat paddle stock. Since changed to an HS Precision.

The triggers on all of these need work, IMO. They are functional, but take a small winch to pull. Timney makes a good replacement as does Rifle Basix. They are easy to replace.

Other than the trigger, they are solid.

My .300 was a 1.5" rifle with the boat paddle stock, and a 1" rifle after bedding into the HS.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
The tang safety Rugers had trigger problems and other troubles. I've never had a problem with the Mark ll or Alaskan , Hawkeye. The finish on the Hawkeye should have been left off the bolt body but that's easily fixed. The only down side of the original was the shiny barrel . I buffed mine with sandpaper and cold blued it. It took on a color and texture sorta similar to the Hawkeye finish.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Owned many 77s and MKIIs; never had a problem with the triggers or anything else. 77 trigs are sometimes not the best but there are not problems with function that I know of.
What "troubles" are you referring to; I have owned them since the original flat bolt without issues.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote