New
Find
Notify
Tools

27 Nolsler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For 2020 Nosler has released the 27 Nosler.

.277 caliber on their Nosler Case.

Two loads are 150grain Accubond and 165 grain Accubond LR.

Nosler is offering two carbon wrapped barreled rifles in this cartridge.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish Nosler would release the 35 Nosler...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Nosler is submitted to SAMMI. Sadly, I doubt we will see it. Slap a good 1:12 barrel and 250 and 280 grain Partition or Accubond all the horse power of a 375 HH and more flat shooting.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I wish they would have gone for a shorter cartridge with a high BC bullet like the 6.5 CM to reap some better down range ballistics.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have liked Wby to have done a 270/300 Wby instead of the 6.5/300 Wby.

As to a magnum 35 I reckon there is a reasonable chance of a 35/378 Wby

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 165 ALR will be pretty high on the BC. The 15 Accubond will be at .5 in .277caliber.

Nosler has not released the BC for the .277, 165 grain ALR. When Nosler does it will be Doplar verified like all ALR Bullets.

Personally, I would take the better construction of the 150 regular Accubond. However, I am not a true long range guy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 28 Nosler built on a Borden action. Awesome caliber. Shoots 195 Bergers just over 3000 fps. Flatter at 1200 yards than any big .338. Wind deflection is amazing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about shooting those 80 grain bullets with this at 4k fps lol 80-180 grain bullets is a great range at that diameter. How fast can they sling 180 grain Woodleigh 270 bullets? we need some more heavy 180 grain bullets that will hold up at 3k fps impacts. bring that on and I will bless this union of the 270 and Nosler. Hornady and Ruger can beat Nosler with a 270-375 Ruger. Ruger!!!!! Make a 2.4” Ruger case necked to 6.5 and you will have a winner! The 6.5 PRC is too short! Name it the 6.5 THS Texas Heart Shot! use those long high BC loaded long to 3.34”!!!!!

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I had a 28 Nosler built on a Borden action. Awesome caliber. Shoots 195 Bergers just over 3000 fps. Flatter at 1200 yards than any big .338. Wind deflection is amazing.

I've been involved with the build and load development on several of these 28 Nolser chambered rifles and they are truly awesome!

The reason it's a "natural" is because of the selection of high BC bullets whereas the .277 has been largely overlooked.

I'm right in the middle of 2 more builds and one will actually be mine this time.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Necking a 50 BMG round down to a phonograph needle is next with you guys..BTW for those that don't know what a phonograph needle is, oh well lets not go there I just dated myself again. killpc old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The needle on them old music playing machines.

Did I get it?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It has been done!

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Necking a 50 BMG round down to a phonograph needle is next with you guys..BTW for those that don't know what a phonograph needle is, oh well lets not go there I just dated myself again. killpc old

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Quit whining Ray!
Those phonograph needles are real killers at 9083 fps. LOL

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did the overbore thing help marginalize the 7mm RUM, but no one seems to care about the overbore issue with the 28 Nosler or 26 Nosler.

Both are based on a modified, I have read fired, 404 Jeffery Case. The RUM is longerwith 30 degree Shoulder. The Nosler is shorter with 35 degree shoulder.

The 27 Nosler would have to be heavily overbore no?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Why did the overbore thing help marginalize the 7mm RUM, but no one seems to care about the overbore issue with the 28 Nosler or 26 Nosler.

Both are based on a modified, I have read fired, 404 Jeffery Case. The RUM is longerwith 30 degree Shoulder. The Nosler is shorter with 35 degree shoulder.

I think a couple of things stopped the 7mm RUM from get going.

Firstly, the 300 RUM already offered big velocities plus would have more powder options.

Secondly, I think the 7mm STW and 30/378, especially the 30/378, had already soaked up much of the market for the 7mm RUM.

Based on looking at AR and Australia's biggest guns/hunting forum (more active than AR) the Nosler calibres seem to be most owned by shooters with them in very accuracy based rifles. On the other hand for someone who wants easy to get and do and big ballistics the Mark V Synthetic or Accumark or a 300 RUM is the easy way to go and I think the 7mm RUM would have been for a similar market.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The one thing I don't like about the RUM case length is that bullets have to be seated short relative to the lands; the Nosler design allows you to seat the bullets way out, thus reserving case capacity but more importantly giving you flexibility in term of OAL that still feeds from a magazine. I suspect the 300 PRC shines for the same reason.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The one thing I don't like about the RUM case length is that bullets have to be seated short relative to the lands; the Nosler design allows you to seat the bullets way out, thus reserving case capacity but more importantly giving you flexibility in term of OAL that still feeds from a magazine. I suspect the 300 PRC shines for the same reason.

Still more case capacity. Compare in standard magazine length the 300 Winchester and 30/338. Or in a 3.6" magazine a 300 Wby Vs 300 Winchester with bullets seated out the 300 Wby is a bigger case capacity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 26 and I love it.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Still more case capacity. Compare in standard magazine length the 300 Winchester and 30/338. Or in a 3.6" magazine a 300 Wby Vs 300 Winchester with bullets seated out the 300 Wby is a bigger case capacity.

No argument there; has more to do with accuracy - when you can set the bullet from the lands all the way back to .04 you can find your sweet spot. In the RUM the bullet, esp VLD designs, has a big jump to the lands in order to fit in the magazine.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What I see as a trend is that because of technology we can shoot farther than before at a lower cost so the average guy can afford a rifle that can shoot a few hundred yards farther than he normally would be able to shoot and the manufactures have responded by producing Bullets cartridges and guns for this new market of blue collar long range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

No argument there; has more to do with accuracy - when you can set the bullet from the lands all the way back to .04 you can find your sweet spot. In the RUM the bullet, esp VLD designs, has a big jump to the lands in order to fit in the magazine.

I am aware of that as have had many many bench style rifles.

I was just making the point because many shooters tend to think the bigger case with seep seated bullet has a smaller or the same case capacity as the shorter case etc.

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that the new .27 Nosler rifles have a faster twist than the standard .270 Win. twist of 1 in 10". There's no way a 10-twist barrel could stabilize a 165 gr. Accubond LR bullet. So that bullet is out for just about any .270 Win. owners, since almost all .270s have the 10-twist.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
I'm guessing that the new .27 Nosler rifles have a faster twist than the standard .270 Win. twist of 1 in 10". There's no way a 10-twist barrel could stabilize a 165 gr. Accubond LR bullet. So that bullet is out for just about any .270 Win. owners, since almost all .270s have the 10-twist.

Twist rate for 27 Nosler rifles is 1:8.5.

The velocity given for the 150 grain load is 3300 fps. Speeds on the 165 ABLR has not been disclosed.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:

Twist rate for 27 Nosler rifles is 1:8.5.

The velocity given for the 150 grain load is 3300 fps. Speeds on the 165 ABLR has not been disclosed.
[/QUOTE]

Intersting.

My former Lilja barreled .270Wea was 1:10twist. It loved all 150 grain Noslers and 180grain Woodleigh PP. It disliked all 130grainers from all makes + all other makes in other weights.

I had the gun rebarreled(the Lilja lost accuracy after600 shots) with a Jenses Rifle barrel in 1:8 twist. Here the 150grain AbLR is òk` in accuracy but now 130grain factory ammunition punch tiny groups.

Next time when the rifle is to be rebarreled I´ll try the .27 Nosler. However in velocities the.270wea still shine right up to the Nosler in all bulletweights. To really surpass the.270Wea substatially the 7mmRum is the way to go.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of building a .25 bore rifle after my 8mm build, but this rifle has certainly peaked my interest.

A 150 gr bullet at 3300 fps is sizzling.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote