THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    232 grain loads for 9,3x62 - got any? -updated W/results. NEW VARMINT RIFLE ***L0L***

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

232 grain loads for 9,3x62 - got any? -updated W/results. NEW VARMINT RIFLE ***L0L***
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Anybody have any data? Looking for something with Varget or BLc-2.

Thanks,

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised at the lack of loading data using any powders with the 232 gr bullet.

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
There is some on line but it is all with Norma powders.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly I don't have data for those powders. I can tell you that Viht N135 is fabulous with both the vulkan and the oryx of that weight.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I got a little bit of data for Varget, will test that out.

If that is not satisfactory, I have some AA2520 which is closer to N135 in burn rate an will try that next.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You might try the 75%rule. I shot a few with my standard 286 grain load in a Chapuis I had back then. They gave easy extraction, but crossed, so I didn't go any further. In a bolt x62, you have a little more flexibility.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Start with the same loads you use for the 286 and work up from there.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some Varget for my converted Mosin Nagant. Worked up from the Hodgdon Website load data for Varget and the 250 TSX.

I would note that the max load on the Hodgdon website for Varget and the 250 TSX translates to ~53K psi.

I was able to load well past that with zero signs of pressure with the Norma 231.5 match bullet with a COAL of 3.220.

I think it is safe (as suggested above) to start with a near max 250 TSX load (which is 3.200) and work up from there using a slightly longer COAL of 3.220 given the 250 TSX is a much longer bullet.

I developed 7 loads best was this .335 group. Two of the other loads were also sub moa.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is just phenomenal accuracy from a 9.3x62 and even more so when you know it is out of a Mosin Nagant.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

The Woodleigh manual shows Varget loads between 57 and 60 grains for the 232 grn. Hydro, which is monometal. Also R-15 at 59 to 62 grains. I expect that a lead/copper bullet might tolerate a bit more pressure.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alec,

Thanks does it indicate a FPS, COAL and pressure?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 232gr Norma Vulcan with 60 grains Varget@3.35 oal with no problems. I’d be comfortable with a bit more but your rifle may be different. Haven’t chronographed. I wish Norma would release the 230gr ecostrike bullet as available component. Really good B&C for 230 grains. Norma factory loads chronographed 2636 FPS 22” barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I use 59 gr of AR 2208 / Varget and 286 gr Lapuas for 2430 fps. 60 grs takes me just below 2500 fps.

Also 61 gr of same powder with 250 gr TSX and old Nosler BT for 2570 to 2620.

Check the factory load velocity for the 232 gr bullet. https://www.norma-ammunition.c...-62-232gr---20193072

It is loaded to just 2625 fps. Edited. 24hr campfire has a thread on this. People are getting good results on white tail and pigs.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The NRA boys in Raton would be pretty upset if you outshot them with a Mosin 9,3x62 Big Grin What an awesome custom Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I am running 52gn of H4895 with Woodleigh 250gn RN soft points in my son's 9.3x62. Its a pretty light load, so you would have no issues substituting the 232gn bullet with that load.

I run 53.5gn of H4895 in the slightly LARGER 9.3x66 case with both 232 Woodleigh and 232 Norma pointed soft point bullets. That is also a light load for my rifle, so I think it would be getting to mid way through what is safe in the 9.3x62.

Posts: 423 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
232 gr. bullet, 64 to 65 grs of RL-15 for 2720 to 2750 depending on load and rifles max..RL-17 would get you a bit more but I have not tried that as yet..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks but I got tons of Varget so that is what I am gonna use. We all have our quirks and I hate nothin more than 1/2 pounds of powder laying around.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
NIce quirk to have Mike, wish I had it!! I have an inch of powder in probably 30 cans, Maybe I'll make a bomb and blow up some stumps in the pasture.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote