Find
Notify
Tools

358 STA is home Photos added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my 358 STA back from McMillan.

McMillan dressed her in a SuperGrade McWoody at 14 inch LOP.

The barrel is free floated to the second recoil lug. Behind the recoil lung after about 3 inches it is free floated to the action lug.

I just had to shoot her. At 25 yards off sticks I shot her with the iron sights.

I had some test loads ready. 275 Grain Weldcore PPs in Quality Cartridge Brass.

I wanted from this barrel was 2700-2750.

I fired 6 cartridges.
I got a full 2850 with all rounds touching at 25 yards, but 3 1/2 inches to the right.

This week she will get a 2x12 Leupold mounted to complete the new dress.

Deer, Elk, and Stag are lined up.

Recoil setting down was not painful, loud, but no pain.

Posts: 10790 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Pictures we need pictures! Maybe a movie too!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try to get some better photos and beg a friend to post them.

Posts: 10790 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LHeym500
posted 13 September 2022 15:16
I will try to get some better photos and beg a friend to post them.

I'm looking forward to seeing those.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Rifle looks beautiful in the new stock!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a wooden stock guy but thought the factory stock is a standout.
The McMillan is not beautiful but it is somewhat complimentary. And is the stock for country that would beat up the factory stock and affect its beauty and value. A good choice if the rifle will be hunted hard.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you 30/06.

I live the factory stock, but the thought of it getting scratched or splitting makes break out in convulsions.

I like the McWoody both functionality and aesthetically. The barrel is free floated too second recoil lug, then ably 3 inches past second recoil lug it is free floated to the action lug.

The stock just absorbs recoil. I have 20 rounds through it snd it does not hit at all. No bruising is present on my shoulder.

The stock is also magnum filled.

I wish McMillan did Supergrade sling studs.

Thank you Bugle’em.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle very much.

Please, if possible, post pictures in higher resolution.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry. The only photo taking machine I have is a cell phone. One can click on the pictures for a better look, assuming you have not done so.

Bugle’em, thank you.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I clicked. It is still 640x480 only. I believe cellphone took it much better than that.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you PM me, I will email them to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you too Biebs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the McWoody stock. I was just toying around with the thought for one of my rifles this week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That stock reminds me of the pattern on some of the Remington Nylon series rifles.

The 66, 76 and 11 models.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy45:
Love the McWoody stock. I was just toying around with the thought for one of my rifles this week.

What Cartridge? This one has the magnum fill. It adds weight, but it just fills up felt recoil. I recommend the Magnum fill.

There is also a McWalnut. The photo on website does not do it justice. I asked for more red.