New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x60S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You really never should look at the internet unless you're prepared to buy what you're looking for!

I am now the proud owner of BRNO ZG47 in 8x60S (a calibre I have had a secret interest in for a while) - how rare is that!?

Brass is on order, dies will be ordered soon.

Anyone care to share 8x60S experience. I tend to think that I will use a lightish non premium bullet for my UK stalking.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Congratulattions on a superb rifle and cartridge!

The 8X60S is not particularly rare, and as you know, the ammo and brass is still being made on the Continent. I don't know if any maker is still chambering rifles for it, however. (I have looked all over, but have been unable to locate an 8X60S chambering reamer thus far!) But of course, the 8X57JS is still being chambered.

Loading the 8X60, max loads fall somewhere between max loads for the 8X57JS and the 8X63S (8mm/'06). I have a J.P. Sauer SXS double chambered for the rimmed version (8X60RS), and of course, it won't stand up to as much pressure as yours. Way back when Hodgdon H205 powder was available, I could get an honest 2620 FPS MV out if it with a 200-grain Nosler Partition bullet without stretching things. But now I have to be satisfied with a mere 2450 from it with the same bullets, but using 58 grains of RL22to keep pressures low. Now, this load does print both barrels into a 3" circle at 100 meters, so I am happy with the lower velocity.

I believe you could use the same load as a starting point, as in my rifle it seems to generate considerably less than 50K PSI. I make my brass from RWS 7X65R cases, but you can use .30/'06 brass cut to 59mm and run through an 8X60S sizing die if you get tired of paying for European brass. I use a set of RCBS 8X60S dies for sizing and loading mine, but with the #26 size shell holder instead of a #3......

As a matter of fact, the first shots I fired from mine were made with '06 cases, with a ramrod for an ejector!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have a Brno 21 8x60S. You can duplicate the old .318 WR load in the 8x60S with the 250 grs Woodleigh, about 49 grs of VV N150 for 2350 fps. The 8x60S is as close to a .318 WR as you can get.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very effective caliber, you are sure that it is a ZG47? Not a Brno 21 or a Mod. Z?

As Boha wrote, a nearly identical copy of the .318 WR!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Congratulattions on a superb rifle and cartridge!

The 8X60S is not particularly rare, and as you know, the ammo and brass is still being made on the Continent. I don't know if any maker is still chambering rifles for it, however. (I have looked all over, but have been unable to locate an 8X60S chambering reamer thus far!) But of course, the 8X57JS is still being chambered.

Loading the 8X60, max loads fall somewhere between max loads for the 8X57JS and the 8X63S (8mm/'06). I have a J.P. Sauer SXS double chambered for the rimmed version (8X60RS), and of course, it won't stand up to as much pressure as yours. Way back when Hodgdon H205 powder was available, I could get an honest 2620 FPS MV out if it with a 200-grain Nosler Partition bullet without stretching things. But now I have to be satisfied with a mere 2450 from it with the same bullets, but using 58 grains of RL22to keep pressures low. Now, this load does print both barrels into a 3" circle at 100 meters, so I am happy with the lower velocity.

I believe you could use the same load as a starting point, as in my rifle it seems to generate considerably less than 50K PSI. I make my brass from RWS 7X65R cases, but you can use .30/'06 brass cut to 59mm and run through an 8X60S sizing die if you get tired of paying for European brass. I use a set of RCBS 8X60S dies for sizing and loading mine, but with the #26 size shell holder instead of a #3......

As a matter of fact, the first shots I fired from mine were made with '06 cases, with a ramrod for an ejector!

I have an 8x60S chamber reamer. Ordered it from Triebel if I remember right. Apparently my German is not as bad as I think, lol. Paid dearly for it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x60 is a fun cartridge. Sure, I am loading for a 8x60 SAKO (meaning a 0.318 version) but it s fun, even if I only have a single bullet weight available, the 196/200 grain, but it is fun !!! Geesh, after all, the power of the cartridge is still a basic .30-06, yes, fun!!!

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:
...you are sure that it is a ZG47? Not a Brno 21 or a Mod. Z?

Monastery-Forester, I happen to have a picture of 1894's 8x60S, and there is a stamp on the receiver ring saying "ZG47". I would have posted the picture (and I may still), but I have trouble with my picture hosting site (hunt101.com).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an 8x60S chamber reamer. Ordered it from Triebel if I remember right. Apparently my German is not as bad as I think, lol. Paid dearly for it.

zlr, I knew you had been looking for one also. So you ordered one from Germany?

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
You really never should look at the internet unless you're prepared to buy what you're looking for!

I am now the proud owner of BRNO ZG47 in 8x60S (a calibre I have had a secret interest in for a while) - how rare is that!?

Brass is on order, dies will be ordered soon.

Anyone care to share 8x60S experience. I tend to think that I will use a lightish non premium bullet for my UK stalking.

Congratulations! Would love to see some pictures. Is that what you are going to use those Warne rings for? I have ALWAYS' wanted an 8X60. I bought a ZG-47 recently in 8X64 Brenneke. I almost put the white gloves on to handle it like they do on the History Channel. Nah, just kidding. Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Congratulations! Would love to see some pictures. Is that what you are going to use those Warne rings for? I have ALWAYS' wanted an 8X60. I bought a ZG-47 recently in 8X64 Brenneke. I almost put the white gloves on to handle it like they do on the History Channel. Nah, just kidding. Big Grin

Terry

Terry - I was quite shocked to see my holy grail for open sale. My all time favourite rifle in the calibre I have had secret interest in for 3 or so years (witness my hijacking just about every 8x64S thread!)

Mike has offered to post photos. I should say the stock is light and the mount is - well high and strongly constructed! Eeker It shows some use but hey for $580 US who cares!

Your rings are indeed intended for it - I am hunting for a Swaro 4x32 Nova with 1" tube and 4/4a reticle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the pic 1894 sent me - illustrating the ZG47 pedigree (look closely on the receiver ring, hunt101 sizes down pictures quite a bit) .

The scope is typical European with the mounting rail. Note the rail below the objective bell, allowing the scope to be mounted with a claw mount (or front mount to be placed on barrel).

I believe 1894 is going to change the scope and mount arrangement (thus the discussion about Warne rings above).

I believe the rifle was sold as "well used", but with a bit of TLC, it should become a briliant little gun.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question, that is a ZG 47!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That is a very interesting mount! I found a brand new Zeiss/Jena rail scope and BRNO ZZK mount. The guy that had it said it was in a gunshop he bought 30 years ago. It sat NIB in that gun shop for almost 50 years. I've got the original box and all the accesories. He didn't know what it was for, but he did have an idea of what it was worth though Frowner

I planned to use it on a custom 21H I'm having built, but after buying the ZG-47 I'll be using it for that now. The only problem is it's sitting at Dressels now waiting for the rifle to be finished. fla3006 has the same setup. He's posted a picture of it several times.

You paid $580 for yours, wow! I didn't get as good of a deal on mine. You did good.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

zlr, I knew you had been looking for one also. So you ordered one from Germany?

Yeah, just had to have one. I have a sweet Brno m21 barrel in 8x57 that is itching to be rechambered. Even found a suitable action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, just had to have one. I have a sweet Brno m21 barrel in 8x57 that is itching to be rechambered. Even found a suitable action.
Cool! let us know how the project turns out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that model of scope mount was also intended to function as a carry handle, say as for a lunchbox. Wink Just kidding!

Looks like a fantastic find, at that price it would be a deal in any usable condition, in my opinion. Love the caliber too - have wanted the same caliber for quite some time, now that I know Mike has the reamer I may have to think about it a little more...

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote