Find
Notify
Tools

New 7x57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I picked up a new (to me) 7x57. A mauser Type S carbine. It sports a single square bridge designed for the detachable claw mount but interestingly there isn't nor was there ever a front scope base. Bore is excellent. Can't wait to hit the range Friday.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, wish I can score like that on occasion!!

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle!
It has great lines.

Don

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
you did good z1r. thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
may have been one of the setups that used an objective bell ring that mounted on a base fit into the rear sight.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
may have been one of the setups that used an objective bell ring that mounted on a base fit into the rear sight.

More likely they just used what they had on hand at the time.

Either way, it's an interesting piece that I was lucky enough to acquire.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
thumb
Pretty clean looking rifle. Real classy!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real beauty. Somehow these vintage Stutzens get the aesthetics alittle more elegant than the new one's.

Posts: 75 | Location: Antwerp, Flanders | Registered: 13 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Friedrich:
A real beauty. Somehow these vintage Stutzens get the aesthetics alittle more elegant than the new one's.

Absolutely. Part of the reason I HAD to buy it. It will be a very nice model to pattern future projects off of.

One thing I don't like about our supersize culture is that it has spilled over into rifles too. Most today are too big in proportions.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You did real well! thumb

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I can just imagine a crisp fall morning. Waiting for that once in a lifetime animal to come by. Sitting at the base of a big oak with that beautiful rifle in hand.

You did good Mike.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I just love old stutzens.

I was in the Czech Republic late last year, seen some stunning old Brno made guns out hunting. One young lad had an 8x57 that he had handed down from his grandfather. It was the most elegant, handy little rifle you ever saw. He just wanted to swap it for something new and shiney.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I look at that rifle, the more beautiful it gets.
Why can't factories build rifles JUST like that today???
That rifle radiates class, and in a 7x57 too. I raised my two sons with 7x57's. No current production rifle can match that Mauser rifle.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
The more I look at that rifle, the more beautiful it gets.
Why can't factories build rifles JUST like that today???
That rifle radiates class, and in a 7x57 too. I raised my two sons with 7x57's. No current production rifle can match that Mauser rifle.

Don

I have to agree. I've always liked that old world styling and the 7x57 is a fine cartridge. Nice find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a classic heart buster. Congratulations, A true dream rifle.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a SUPERB looking rifle...

It looks like it feels good in the hands...

Great shape and I hope its an excellent shooter above all, wow 7x57 its hard to beat IMO...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
You did real well! thumb

Thanks and I appreciate the advice you and KurtC both gave me. I would have regretted passing this one up for a LONG, LONG time.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Either the stock's too long or the barrel is too short. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
If it shoots half as good as it looks you bought a keeper (and passer downer). I'd also ditto the lament that modern factories don't make'm like that anymore, mostly because modern shooters won't pay for the quality anymore.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote