THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Sauer 202 magnum and ultralight differences

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 202 magnum and ultralight differences
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have a sauer 202 in 308, great little rifle. I am thinking about getting another one in a magnum receiver in 7mm or 300 and then buying a 416 Rem and 375 barrels for it.

What differences are their between the magnum and UL?

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buehler?

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW, I know a guy who is very versed in the Sauer rifles. I'll shoot him an email to get the exact differences for you.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lightweight has a schnabel on the forend of its synthetic stock, a fluted barrel, built-in Weaver bases on the receiver, an alloy receiver, an d weigh 6 1/2 lbs. The Magnums have steel receivers, round barrels, D&T'd receivers for bases and rings, wood or synthetic stocks, and weigh about 8 1/2 lbs.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I know very little about the 202. However, I am about to invest in a Sauer 404. I am extremely excited about the 404!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, let us know what you think. Looks like a great rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 202 aluminum receivered rifle for a few years, had owned 4 R93s for a while.

The 404 has some great features.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can tell that the Blaser engineers had their hand in the re-design of the Sauer 202.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
You can tell that the Blaser engineers had their hand in the re-design of the Sauer 202.

Yes it appears to be an amalgamation of the Blaser R93/R8, Sauer 202 and Mauser M03.

R93s, 202s and M03s are probably not long for this world in full production with Mauser relaunching the 98 and doing well with the M12. R8 and 404 killing off the other two.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You have to remember that Blaser, Sauer and Mauser are three companies manufacturing under one factory roof in Germany. Best thing I like about all their products is that you don't have to send it to some one to make it more accurate or reliable!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a long look at the 404 at EuroOptic last week..I came away very impressed. Its a really nice system and I have no doubt its a winner. I went with the Blaser R8 only because of the wider selection in calibers and stock options

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The R8 had a 5 or 6 year head start.

I love my 202, I would venture to say that I would love the 404.

I had a lot I liked about the M03, I was scared shitless everytime I released anything bigger than a 222 in my R93's.

I'll probably buy another 202, and live with it. At least I have parts interchangeablility between the SSG 3000 and the 202.

The 404 is a new cat all together.

Shot 20 rounds of 308 in my 202 last night. Feeds like a glass shard, light, accurate, kind of a perfect rifle. Recoil is nil with the plastic stock and a decent pad.

My father killed his last moose, and what may be his last big game animal with it. Reason enough to hold on to it.