THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What's your favorite factory rifle?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite factory rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 MKII.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of current rifles...I'd vote for the Weatherby
Vanguard.
The newish T.C. Icon is probably the best & a great value, but chamberings limited.
Best Regards,
Tom from Cody
If cost no object...a new Schultz & Larsen Rifle from Denmark.

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have to go with the Sauer 202.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Favorite? It has to be the Winchester 94 first-carried that here for many yrs. Sako Finnbear .338 2nd, carried that too since 69'

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Blaser R93 for me. Best out of the box gun, that I've used

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say I have three categories of favorite ... the pre-64 M70 Winchester (best by far) ... the SS Classic M70 ... not bad at all, and ... the CZ 550.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't decide if it would be a Kimber 8400 or a Sako Finnlite.

I've had excellent results with both, sub MOA performance, great handling etc............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ 550, 98 FN

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
As far as consistancy, 700 hands down.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ack . john:
Iam a Rem. 700 man but i thing the best gun for the money is savage

YUP!!!

EVERYTHING I SAY TO YOU IS A LIE , AND THAT'S THE TRUTH

Posts: 27 | Location: KENT COUNTY , MICHIGAN | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 Coyote in 25 WSSM.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Winchester M-70 Featherweight for looks.
2. Tikka T-3 SS Lite for function.

I have a Winchester M-70 Featherweight in 25 WSSM that I truly adore, but consistantly use the Tikka T-3 in .270 WSM for just about everything.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've got lots of guns but I couldn't give up or choose between either of these highly efficient tools.

Model 70 Stainless .270 Win. with Boss and factory compoiste stock. Lightened trigger.

or for bigger game.

A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with Boss and factory compoiste stock. Lightened trigger.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be hard not to say a SAKO 85 for a current production 'factory rifle' for me...but after my weekend experience with my new Cooper model 52......It's got to be right there, quality is sure great on the Coopers.

Hard to argue with their out of the box accuracy.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Cooper count? I love mine. I'm also quite pleased with my Kimbers as well.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Sako 85 Finnlight

Sako Forrester

Sako Vixen

Anyone who has used these classics and is objective will agree.

If you are parochial the choice would not be subjective therefore irrelevant. If you haven't used them then the choice is based on ignorance therefore irrelevant. stir

That should stir things up jumping

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Steyr Mannlicher - Have several customs and every single Steyr I have shoots on par or better. They were such a deal with the CDNN closeout. Best is a 300 Win 0.375" @ 100 yds and 1.25" @ 300yds with Federal HE 200 gr Partitions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a bad rem 700...
They are accurate & reliable and easily worked on.

Oddly enough my second choice would be a Marlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my 300WBY UltraLightweight (scoped with Khales 2,5-10x50 ill.)that is very accurat with WBY factory's ammo (Nosler Partition 180gr. Smiler

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Guys,

Sako 85 Finnlight

Sako Forrester

Sako Vixen

Anyone who has used these classics and is objective will agree.

Hamish

I have, I am, I don't...................................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday DJ

Yep you are right it is all fun.

I do love Sakos but everyone has their own favourites and again no one is wrong in whatever they choose and I am most apologetic if I have caused any offense.

Sometimes I like to be a little silly all in good fun.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Model 70... hands down!

anyone else notice "tarandus" revived almost a 5 year old thread???

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Seafire,

You have to try a Sako. Mate if you prefer a M70 then you haven't obviously tried the Sako lol. lol

Happy Hunting

Hamish

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
1) Sako (especially the A series)
2) M70 (any with CRF)
3) Kimber

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamish, If I wasn't a big fan of Sako's I wouldn't own double digit numbers of them. I do like them a lot but I'm currently a little mad at one of them.
I have Grey Wolf Model 85 in 270WSM, it shoots sub MOA but it weighs a pound or two more than my Kimber 8400 in the same caliber and the Kimber shoots almost 1/2 MOA better.
I'm sure the Grey Wolf will do better with more work and maybe my expectations were too high, but I do have other Sako's that also shoot much better.
Kimber's also handle recoil much better.
I like aspects of both so just can't go with Sako's being the only choice at the top. And sometimes it's just fun to argue back and forth a bit beer ..............................DJ

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Seafire,

You have to try a Sako. Mate if you prefer a M70 then you haven't obviously tried the Sako lol. lol

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Hamish,

I have to admit having a soft spot for Sakos.. but that is the older models... like those made in the 80s and before...

Same thing like the Sauer from those periods...

I currently like the CZs also, and the Kimbers are beautiful rifles...

But usually purchasing rifles along the lines of a Chevy budget...hence my love for the Model 70s....

I look at rifle preferences as along the lines of each of us having color preferences....

Winchesters just feel good and balanced for my size...I have never had the finicky problems with one, that have presented themselve on Remingtons....

Savages are also coming on strong anymore as a utility rifle....

I think we are just lucky to be able to have so many great choices available...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RUGER #1 i fell is the best in terms of aesthetics, quality, price etc. However, I'd say sako, and the remington 700 come in a close second because of usability on DG, unlike the single shot Ruger #1. The old winchester model 70's were good stuff too.

Scratch that, I forgot we were in the medium bore thread. So the best are the Ruger #1 and the BROWNING BLR.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have a two Winchester Model 70s, a Stainless Classic in 30-06, and a Classic Featherweight Stainless in 6.5x55. I restocked the featherweight with an uglier stock so that I could actually use the rifle hard without worrying about the beautiful walnut it came with. My 06 will be the last thing on earth that I part with, short of my wife.
I would have to add after reading some of the posts above, that if I had the money, a Sako 75 stainless would come awfully close to the ideal.
Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Seafire,

Yep the M70 is a pretty nice looking rifle. I have never had one but there may be one somewhere in the future, probably a classic and get it rebarrelled in 6.5x57.

My experience with the Sako started in about 1978 when I tried a mates 270 finbear. I was using a Midland 308 at the time (being in the army 308 was real cheap for me) comercial meat hunting and wanted something that was a little less bruising on the meat. I got a Sako forrester in 243win. It cut up the meat just as much as the 308 but it did start me on a love affair with Sakos.

I have yet to find one that did not shoot itty bitty groups and they are as slick as cat poop on lino.

The only gripe I have is that they are pretty heavy to cart around now I am a bit older. The new 85 is a lot lighter and it is a toss up between that and the new finlight in 260 as to which I am to get.

Before that happens an old Vixen in 222 or 223 will occupy an empty space in the safe first. The weight is no bother in a varminter.

My son at med school will be getting the Savage 222 and the 260 M7 Remmy as birthday presents in the hope he remembers his poor old Dad when he is a rich Cardio Thoracic surgeon and takes me on hunting trips to North America and Africa clap

Happy Hunting

Hamish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday DJ,

Maybe my love of Sako is a little tied up in nostalgia for a time when my legs were younger and I could carry whole deer out of the hills to sell to supplement (surpass) my meagre army pay.

I shot hundreds of deer with my forester 243 and 90gr speer bullets and they both hold a special place in my heart.

I hope your Greywolf sorts itself out. I had a model seven 260 that gave me problems like that and didn't come right until about 400 rounds had been done the tube.

It is now quite acceptable.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy rifles based on caliber and do not discriminate.

Marlin (3)
CZ/Brno (4)
Remington (5)
Mauser (1)
Winchester (3)

Plus Ruger handguns are all in my gun safe. If I ever get the urge to buy something it will be because it is in a practical caliber, that I just don't have.

What I don't have is:

Sako
Tikka
Browning
Weatherby
Savage

And there's no reason not to own any of these, if they were in a "must-have" cartridge.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I have them all, Winnies' Remmies, Sakos, Marlins, Savages, TC's, Rugers.... and four full blown customs.

Key words, factoy and favorite.... for me Remington Model 700 LSS 300 & 338 RUM's

Hey.... I just thought of something, I don't have any Weatherby's.... I know what my next rifle will be.. Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 SA
Remington MOD 7
Remington 700 LA

As far as factory rifles go.... these are the only ones that matter.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry P:
Who do you think makes the best rifle for the money? My pick is Winchester. One of my favorites is the Classic featherweight. Just a nice looking stock. The stainless rifles are also nice as are the safari rifles and I like the claw extractors (controlled round feed) and the saftey. I have one of the featherweight classics in a 270 with a walnut stock in stainless. A classy looking rifle.

Since you chose the Model 70, a discontinued product, I'll opt for the Original Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Granted, technically there are much better designs, but NO factory production rifle was ever made better, and none has the charm of a M/S fullstock carbine.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i my self am torn between the remington 700, winchester model 70 (pre 64 preferably but post 64 rifles are good to) and the CZ 550 line of rifles

still can't make up my mind on what firearm I will buy next

posted Hide Post
Well back in the day I would have said Rem.700 but now I would have to say Savage hands down.

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
After a small amount of experience I'd say remington 700's Cool

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overall-Husqvarna; in current production-CZ.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In current production, a CZ or a Ruger 77 makes a heck of a hard knocking hunting rifle. For all time, I'll take a 50's FN, finished better on the inside than most new rifles are on the outside, actions feed smooth as butter.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote