THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What's your favorite factory rifle?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite factory rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I've had really excellent accuracy with the browning right out of the box. I have a Sako remingtons model 70's a mark v a few vanguards. The browning was just an amazing performer, even with that ugly Boss thing on the end of the barrel.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Model 70's for me.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For fit and Finnish(pun intended) and functioning; SAKO/TIKKA
For lowest price and accuracy; H&R/NEF

[ 11-29-2002, 08:51: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<O'Connor's Ghost>
posted
I am pretty partial to a Steyr/Mannlicher Professional in .30/06 with a 20 inch barrel. I had owned an SSG in .308 that weighed about a ton and shot incredibly tight groups. But I killed two small bucks from a tree blind at about 35 yards each and decided to trade for this gun. It is smooth, accurate, and beautiful in it's own Parkerized, cycolac-stocked way---alright it's downright ugly. I would be happier if I had gone for the 22 inch barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have another favorite:

-

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to think the model 700 was the best bang for the buck, 20 years ago it probably was. I feel the over the past few years the quality control has really dropped, and now this J-lock thingy they're trying to dump on us is too much. Guns with built-in locks on them is just another form of gun control, and I'll not support it. I've long ago bought my last model 700.

I have a couple Sako rifles. The newest is a 14 year old AV actioned .270 that is a real peach to shoot and fondle.

Running neck and neck with my .270 is a model 70 Super Grade chambered in a 7mmSTW that I picked up last year. On a calm day it'll shoot 1.25" groups at 300 yards, if'n I can hold still.

If I were looking to buy a new rifle, I certainly take a very long hard look at the CZ 550.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is a built in gun lock a form of gun control? As long as WE prevent such a feature from being mandatory, it means absolutely nothing. If that feature somehow gets legislated, is it then Remington's fault?

Sakos now have a built in lock. Does that mean you won't buy one?

The following handguns makers now include built in locks either as standard or optional equipment: S&W, Glock, Springfield Armory, Steyr, and Taurus. More gun control, right?

I personally find a built in lock to be far easier to deal with than one that covers the trigger guard. In Kansas, it's illegal to transport a firearm unlocked in the passenger compartment. I have pick up, and I don't like driving with guns in the open bed. That means I have two choices, put a gun lock on each firearm, or buy a locking case.

Guess which is cheaper.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I'm a big Ruger fan now. I really enjoy my M77MKII 300 Win Mag. Very nice wood and blueing. I like the scope mounts and the bolt. I dislike the trigger though. It is somewhat heavy(lighter than my M70 came from factory) but it is creepy. A local gunsmith said he can fix that for under 50 bucks.

I will be looking for another Ruger in the spring. Probably a 22-250 or 243.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the Marlin. The 336 was my first centerfire rifle and I've come back to it recently.
The design, materials, and worksmanship are still something to be proud of. In the woods and fields they are tough, light, and deadly.

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Dave:
I'm a big Ruger fan now. I really enjoy my M77MKII 300 Win Mag. Very nice wood and blueing. I like the scope mounts and the bolt. I dislike the trigger though. It is somewhat heavy(lighter than my M70 came from factory) but it is creepy. A local gunsmith said he can fix that for under 50 bucks.

I will be looking for another Ruger in the spring. Probably a 22-250 or 243.

Dave, what kind of accuracy are you getting out of your 300WM? What work have you done to it (if any) to get that accuracy?

<Ranger Dave>
posted
The Ruger was a 2" grouper when new. It took about 200 rounds before things settled down. I have done nothing to it. It is bone stock. It has a 3-9x40 Bushnell Scopecheif on it. It likes a clean barrel.

Factory:
Winchester PP 180's group 1.5" 100 yards always. Remington CL 180's 1.25". Federal Classic 180gr(Sierra Prohunter) ran 2 boxes at 0.55 to 0.75". I was very happy with that.

Reloads:
I've just started reloading for it.
57 grs IMR4350 Hornady 180gr SP 0.60"
57.5 grs IMR 4350 Hornady 180gr SP 0.6" to 0.7"

Thr rifle's groups always repeatable. This to me, means I got a keeper. I'm fine tuning the reloads to see if it makes any difference. I have 5 rounds per load 0.1 grs apart from 57 to 57.5. Sunday afternoon we will see if it makes a difference or not.

The worst part of the gun is the trigger. I have troubles switching from my Winchester back to the Ruger then back to the Winchester. The Winchester's trigger breaks clean and is lighter now. If I only shoot the Ruger it doesn't bother me but I like to take more than one gun to the range. A local gunsmith says he can get the trigger to work excellent so one day I have to drop it off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. I don't reload, but I echo your assesment of Federal Classic being very nice. That's what my Sako 75 300WM likes best. My Sako has barely 60 rounds through it, and I expect it will take about threetimes that many to get it fully broken in.

It also took about 180 rounds to break in my Howa. Accuracy and repeatability on it is fantastic, particularly with Remington Express 150 gr Core Lokt.

The reason I ask is because sometimes I get the urge to sell the Sako (it's a heavy SOB), and I would like to keep one magnum rifle in the box.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, get that trigger fixed ASAP. Your smith may be able to fix it himself. If not, there are Timney for $80 and Dayton-Traister for $45. I lightened the pull of my Howa and it was a revelation.

[ 12-02-2002, 00:21: Message edited by: ksduckhunter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
"As long as WE prevent such a feature from being mandatory..."

Well by buying into and supporting it now, how are YOU going to stop it? And, if/when that feature somehow gets legislated, is it then Remington's fault? You betcha it is. Don't you see that they are promoting it??

Yes, I'm fully aware Sako is now putting these locks on their rifles too. Does that mean I won't buy one? Absolutely. I'll never own a gun with a lock on it.

If you will and do support gunmakers like Remington, Sako, S&W, Glock, SA, etc... who are manufacturing guns with built-in locks on them when it's not mandatory, what incentive do these gunmakers have to join in a fight to help keep it from becoming mandatory? Let me help you on that one, absolutely none!! You have already accepted it.

My wife calls me too skeptical, she's right.

How do you think Remington feels about the idea that Kansas requires a firearm to be locked while being transported? Since they are leading they way in this fine safety feature, I'll bet they just love it. It's cheaper right? Never mind if it's leading us into more gun control legislation. Remember the smart-gun technologies from a couple years ago? It wasn't recieved very well then, but I believe it'll be back when the anti's have found a way to make it more acceptable or "cheaper".

And that folks, is my never to be too humble opinion.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care much for any new gun on todays market.....

I like pre-64 Mod 70 Winchester and good 98 Mauser rifles...

If I HAD to pick one of todays rifles, I'd pick the Ruger Safari Model, it is the best gun for the money. I believe the CZ a good basic design but it needs a world of work to make it right IMO.

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
For my dollar, the Sako provides the most bang for the buck - great accuracy, fit and finnish, and asthetics. [Cool]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hands down choice for a factory rifle would be the pre-64 Win. and I can make any of them shoot, unless they are a reject....

Todays rifles: I'c choose the Ruger 77 Safari with its wonderful intregal quarter rib, Circasion stock, barrel band front sight and swivel, I also like the 3-pos. safty, although some think it to small, it works fine for me.

I have little use for the rest, unless they are of Mauser control feed design.

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<hillbilly1>
posted
my favorite is the 336 marlin in .35 rem . main reason i live in deer country that is very rough and hilly so the short brush gun with plenty of whitetail knockdown power is the ticket. not any good past 200 yards but in all my years hunting this terrain i have never had a shot out past 150 yards. [Smile]

<JoeR>
posted
For the big bores and CRF, I would go with the CZ even though they know all about the stock splitting problems yet refuse to correct it sort of like Winchester in the pre64 models. If you do not require CRF, Weatherby is the way to go for a factory gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75 synthetic stainless in .308 winchester.

King of the mauntains [Mad]

Posts: 25 | Location: Turkey | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn!!

I see the sako only in my dreams.Because it's 3500 us dollars in Turkey.Very expensive.

1US Dollar=1.600.000 Turkish Liras [Eek!]

Posts: 25 | Location: Turkey | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The Copper rifle is the very best for the money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote would have to be for the Pre-64 Winchester. Preferably a 308 or 270 Featherweight.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muleshoe:
"As long as WE prevent such a feature from being mandatory..."

Well by buying into and supporting it now, how are YOU going to stop it? And, if/when that feature somehow gets legislated, is it then Remington's fault? You betcha it is. Don't you see that they are promoting it??

Yes, I'm fully aware Sako is now putting these locks on their rifles too. Does that mean I won't buy one? Absolutely. I'll never own a gun with a lock on it.

If you will and do support gunmakers like Remington, Sako, S&W, Glock, SA, etc... who are manufacturing guns with built-in locks on them when it's not mandatory, what incentive do these gunmakers have to join in a fight to help keep it from becoming mandatory? Let me help you on that one, absolutely none!! You have already accepted it.

My wife calls me too skeptical, she's right.

How do you think Remington feels about the idea that Kansas requires a firearm to be locked while being transported? Since they are leading they way in this fine safety feature, I'll bet they just love it. It's cheaper right? Never mind if it's leading us into more gun control legislation. Remember the smart-gun technologies from a couple years ago? It wasn't recieved very well then, but I believe it'll be back when the anti's have found a way to make it more acceptable or "cheaper".

And that folks, is my never to be too humble opinion.

Methinks you're just a bit too paranoid, and need to relax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Encore

The TC Encore has the ability with the barrel selections to instantly be anything you want. With the factory and custom barrels,it can be used in Shotgun only areas, or western long range hunting, maybe the thick big woods of eastern hunting, and then to varmit hunting, along with pistol hunting. All these options in a ten minute change. Once you have the action, it is cheaper to purchase another quality barrel than to purchase another weapon.

In my two gun hard case I carry the possibility of five different rifles. adapt and overcome!

Same Trigger, Same Feel, Same Result!

Single*Shot

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ksduck,

Maybe so.

If they remove our freedoms a little bit at a time, nobody raises much of a fuss. Mucho easier thataway. In my opinion, this is just one more of many itty bitty steps toward the anti's ultimate goal.

I just hope it isn't too late by the time WE decide to pull our collective heads out....of the sand that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muleshoe:
ksduck,

Maybe so.

If they remove our freedoms a little bit at a time, nobody raises much of a fuss. Mucho easier thataway. In my opinion, this is just one more of many itty bitty steps toward the anti's ultimate goal.

I just hope it isn't too late by the time WE decide to pull our collective heads out....of the sand that is.

Once again, the use of a built in lock is OPTIONAL. You can use a trigger lock if you like. Some of us actually obey the law when transporting firearms, so having a lock integral with the gun is actually handy.

Whether or not legislation passes to require all guns to have their actions or triggers locked when not in use depends on US. It won't be because some manufacturers included a conveninece on their products. In fact, the City of South Miami had such an ordinance and was defeated on appeal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksduckhunter:
.....In Kansas, it's illegal to transport a firearm unlocked in the passenger compartment.....

Sounds like this is no longer optional. WE didn't do such a great job of preventing this now did we? Or....maybe you were in favor?

Just another itty bitty step....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger #1 is a great buy, except that getting an accurate one is a crap shoot.

<Chigger>
posted
My getting the most for my money and favorite you might say is one of two rifles. The first is the model 70 Winchester pre-64 action. The second is the Ruger model 77. These two rifle offer a hunter what he or she really needs in a hunting rifle for the money they spend. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all the problems the current production rifles are having, and the custom rifles seem to have problems too, I would have to recommend the Blaser R93. I am familar with 7 "receivers" and about 20 different barrels, in calibers from 223 Rem to 416 Rem, and NONE of them have had ANY problems. No feeding, extraction, ejection problems. All the bbls have been very accurate, the scope mounts work with no alignment problems. Triggers are very good. In short you can buy a Blaser R93, mount your scope, sight the rifle in, and go hunting, without a trip to the gunsmith.
You can't say that about very many of todays rifles.
And as a plus, the R 93 bolt rifle will "take down" and fit in the same case as your double. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
colt sauer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the tikkas are the best factory rifle for the price by a big margin!

Having said that i'm about to buy a remington 700 VLS second hand only because the price is right.

Tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Wthby Accumark. I always have 100% confidence no matter how far the shot.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry P:
Who do you think makes the best rifle for the money?

These days Ruger hawkeye. It was Winchester Model 70!

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough decision but both are Rugers:
No. 1
Model 77 UL

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr classic full stock.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr. Atkinson. The Pre'64 Model 70 would be my pick. After I have hunted, shot, and collected these fine guns for a number of years. I don't get excited over the new guns.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Remington 700

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote