THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What's your favorite factory rifle?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite factory rifle?
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Who do you think makes the best rifle for the money? My pick is Winchester. One of my favorites is the Classic featherweight. Just a nice looking stock. The stainless rifles are also nice as are the safari rifles and I like the claw extractors (controlled round feed) and the saftey. I have one of the featherweight classics in a 270 with a walnut stock in stainless. A classy looking rifle.

<FarRight>
posted
I like the Remington Model 700 for several reasons, most importantly cause they just seem to work for me and my family. My dad has used a wood stocked M700 ADL in .30-06 for years. I have an uncle that also uses an 06 M700 while my brother uses an ADL Synthetic in .300 WinMag. I naturally choose a M700 this year as well--a BDL-LH Custom Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag. My grandpa uses a 7600 pump in 06 but I prefer a bolt. I also like Rem shotguns--cheifly the M870. Our family owns several of those and an 1100.

I have nothing against Winchester. They make fine guns, but I find their selection of left hand guns extremely limited. Mostly I have to go to custom shop and spend several grand, in which case I could just build my own off a Montana 1999 action to my own specs, which would be my choice for a dangerous game rifle. Or I could buy two Rem 700s. In fact, for the price of the Winchester, I can buy a Remington, give it a trigger job, and replace the tiny extractor (which I consider the Remington's only weakness) with a Sako style extractor. Furthermore, I know the Remington will be accurate and my Custom Deluxe has a wood stock and bluing that makes it very pleasing to the eye as well as a joy to handle and carry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say I am a little partial to CZ's. I have two at the minute a .527 hornet & a .416 Rigby 550. Also have a Brno M2 .22 lr & a 602 custom big bore. The hornet with handloads worked for it shoots under an inch at 100 yards with no bedding or floating of the barrel.

My second choice would be winchesters of which I do not own any, but this forum has got me sold on CRF rifles. I like my rem 700's for varminters and I have one in a 22/250 which shoots extremely well with bugger all done to it other than a trigger job.

CZ's seem to offer a lot for the money and they seem solidly built, I just wish they would make stainless synthetic jobs and I would make all my rifles cz's.

The rest could be tomato stakes [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry - I'd have to go with the Model 70s. Like you, I've currently got a feather weight and a stainless.

I don't know if it's because I grew up on Winchesters or what, but they just "feel like God intended a rifle to feel." I like everything about their design...althouh sometimes Winchester lets their quality go to hell.

I've had a lot of Remingtons and they have all been very good rifles, good shooters, strong, etc. But there is just something about Remington that strikes me as cheap. I don't like their stock finish and the checkering. I don't like their bolt nor their safety.

But on the other hand these are just asthetic things to me as I've never had any real trouble with them.

I used to love Rugers but lately I've come to think their quality control went down the toilet a few years back.

I've not personally owned a CZ...but think I'd really like to try one. They may be the joker in the rifle deck and the best buy for the money of them all.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Chalk up another one for the Win. M70 FTWT. I currently own 2 and they just seem to fit, feel, and look right.

For varmints I like the Savage 112.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Winchester M-70 Featherweight.I have them in .243,.270, and 7x57. They are classy looking rifles.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202 - Blaser R93 - Blaser K95

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Terry P,

For budget a CZ is nearly unbeatable.

For more money Blazer or Heym.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
1.) Weatherby

2.) Browning

3.) Winchester

4.) All the rest

<rws2>
posted
Browning A Bolt II Stainless

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 as they are reasonably priced and I have yet to see one that wouldn't shoot well.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I may get flamed for this but I think that the Weatherby Vanguards are a great value. You get the Weatherby accuracy garantee for roughly the price of a Savage. I had one in 7mm RM and it was a tack driver.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202

anything less is......
less

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr-I agree totally with you about the howa rifles(vanguards) being a great bargain.If only the rest of the weatherby line offered such good value for the money.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<ack . john>
posted
Iam a Rem. 700 man but i thing the best gun for the money is savage

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I like the Brownings, I picked up a new BLR in .300 WinMag at the Houston show yesterday for $499. For the money the quality of the finish and wood is hard to beat. I also have a Gr.III and Gr.IV BAR's (both bought used), even though they cost a bit more it would be hard to find comparable wood and checkering for the money.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned 2-Savage 110's, a Remington 760, a Ruger MKII 77,and a Browning A Bolt. I still have one of the Savages, the Ruger and the Browning.
My favorite is my left handed Browning Stainless Stalker in 25/06.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Browning A-Bolts for me !!!! Best shooters out of the box that I've had, and I've had most all major brands available.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the new CRF M70s as well as Rem 700's and have a 50/50 mix of them in my safe.
Older Sakos are another favorite and my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight is a real winner as its an ounce under 7 pounds loaded, with scope and sling and shoots VERY well.

I have too many rifles and it dawns on me each season to get rid of at least three or four......but I like them ALL.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I believe the CZ550's are the best for the $. My favorite factory rifle is the Model 70 Super Grade or the Safari Express.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
browning blr. JAPAN model. in 358 of course. if you've never used one, your missin' something.
adios
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
1.CZ
2.Savage

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, a Remington M700.

I believe that most brands are comparable nowadays (and none as good as they used to be), it's just that I'm very comfortable with M700's. My first centerfire (30+ years ago), was a M700. I still have it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My selection would have to be my Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweights.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger stainless sny. best buy toughest rifle now.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For budget rifles, Howa is VERY hard to beat.

For high $ rifles, I've shopped Weatherby, Sako, Sauer, and Blaser, and decided Sako is it.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Handloader:
[QB]My selection would have to be my Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweights.

--------------------------------------------------
If you buy one of these it is most likely to perform just right from the start. This is worth a lot. Then if to want to sell it you may get more for it than you paid rather than 1/2 or less than you get for a Remington or Sako.

If you upgrade a old M70 you are building on something worth while.

That said I went out and bought a new M70 and got a tiger by the tail. So far I have it under control but I don't think many could handle the problems that this rifle used to have.

<thomas purdom>
posted
CZ, CZ, CZ, CZ all the way. I own two, right now, a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm Mauser (sub .5 moa @100 yds with Hornady 162 gr. SSTs going 2,815 fps) and a CZ 527 in .223 Remington that is shaping up to be one hell of a rifle. I have owned Remington, Winchester and Ruger and in my humble opin, I get way more bang for the buck with CZ, CZ, CZ. Tom Purdom [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Of currently mass-produced rifles, I'd say the Ruger Number 1. Of those not currently produced but once produced in mass quantities, I'd vote for the various commercial Mausers (FN, Oberndorf sporters, HVA, Brno, etc.), the old Sako's and last but not least the pre-64 M-70.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The Cooper rifle wins hands down.

<Orion>
posted
Manlicher Schonauer
FULL_ STOP
weidmannsheil

ps in .270
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Blaser rifles, K95 and R93. High tech with a real purpose, well made and the last rifle you will ever need (I know, you�ll still want another and an..)I think the other europeans are overpriced or overhyped. Apart from the Blaser rifles I would probably vote for Ruger, the No. 1 is a wonderfull thing in my opinion and their bolt action is not bad either. If price is no object and I couldn�t have a Blaser I would go for a Dakota, any Dakota.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Hmm... Although they're ugly, my choice would be a Sauer - based on overall quality, trigger, accuracy and general slickness.

But Winchester makes the best looking rifles, at least as long as you don't look to closely.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Remington Model 700, but I haven't bought one in about twenty years.

For looks, I like the Sako and Browning A-Bolt. I bought the A-Bolt Medallion in 300 WSM a few years ago and love the thing.

I may be going through a phase. The last deer rifle and shotgun have been Brownings after twenty years of Remingtons.

My first Winchester was a 20 ga. pump shotgun. I didn't like it, couldn't shoot it well, and it ruined me on Winchester. I never bought another.

Similar story with Ruger. Bought a .41 Mag Blackhawk, didn't like it, couldn't shoot it well, traded it in on a Smith & Wesson .41 Mag and love it. Never bought another Ruger.

I understand why manufacturers get frustrated. Whether it's a gun or a truck, one bad experience and you've lost a customer for life.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
My Dakota 76 in 330 Dakota.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
C. Sharps

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had numerous Browning A-bolts and I have 2 currently. But my hands down favorite factory rifle of all is my Rem. M700 Sendero in 7mm STW. I happened to get a great rifle when I got this one. The only load I have used is the first one I worked up for it. 140 gr. Partition over 82 grs. of IMR 7828 for an avg. velocity of 3365 fps. This load will shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. I'll probably never get another factory rifle this accurate in my life. Now, if I can just get the guys to let me use it in a benchrest match next year. It won't shoot like my LV 6ppc, but I'd have all the others ready to shoot me with all that muzzle blast.:>Wink

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough question? Have to be my A bolts,blr,bar and 700's.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I have owned most major brands. My best rifles out of the box have been Weatherby Vanguards.

<Terry P>
posted
But Winchester makes the best looking rifles, at least as long as you don't look to closely.

-- Mats

I've not personally owned a CZ...but think I'd really like to try one. They may be the joker in the rifle deck and the best buy for the money of them all.
--Pecos

Mats, I agree. Sometimes the new Winchester rifles just aren't put together right. I had one from the wholesaler the other day and had to send it back. The bolt wouldn't go in the rifle and it was missing some parts...I still like these rifles a lot but clearly the bean counters are running the show. I guess they have to (with most rifle brands these days) , to be competetive.,,,

Ruger is a nice rifle, quite a few dollars less (almost $100)than the Winchester and the rings come with the rifle. I like the scope mounting system on the Rugers. My 416Rigby was by far, one of the most accurate rifle I've ever owned and would shoot one ragged hole groups if you could hold it there.

Pecos, I've never tried the CZ's either....I may soon. They may very well be one of the best things going now but the Rugers have a better looking stock IMHO. I'd like to try one of the CZ's in a 9.3X62. I believe these come with rings also and I like mauser actions.

The Winchester, Ruger and CZ are about my favorite picks with the Winchester being in first place and the CZ and Ruger next. That's for the rifles being built today. Some of the new Winchester super grades really have some nice looking wood.

I think the all time great, factory rifle, made in the USA, was the pre-64 model 70 Winchester. I just sold a rifle that was damn near still brand new, made in 1939. The quality of the wood (the wood was unbelievable!!) and the action was something to see. It would shoot about an inch with handloads 150gr-180gr bullets. Nice round patterned groups. The checkering was also nice (real crisp and sharp). It was hard to believe that this was "just" a standard grade model 70 rifle. I sold the rifle for $1500 but I feel like I sold it too cheap. I don't know where I could buy a rifle like it for that kind of money or less? Most of the pre 64's I've shot are fairly accurate with most doing about 1" groups or so.