New
Find
Notify
Tools

finally, its underway!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back, i started this thread , actually it was a year ago! i later asked questions about what to chamber it to, the 284win or the 280rem (results were pretty 50-50)

Well I bought an old Remington 700 25-06 classic. Had it bedded and had the trigger lightened and the 'creep' removed. Did a bit of load development and it wouldn’t shoot under an inch. Had a look down the barrel with a bore-scope and it’s worn as. What better excuse would I need to have it rebarreled?

So I ordered a Lilja 7mm 1-9twist 4groove barrel.
It’s going to be chambered in 280 Ackley and finished at 26inches. The contour is a #5

So it’s on its way to the gunsmith to have the barrel fitted and the action trued, also having a decelerator pad fitted.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool. I guess you're an elk guy? What exactly is the 280 ackley; what parent case? Sorry for the ignorance. I know the 284 and 280, but don't know that I've heard of an Ackley other than the 450 and 475 Ackleys. You can tell I'm mostly in to the big stuff, but 280 is close enough for me, and you can't ever learn too much.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it comes from the 280, except it has been improved to hold a little more powder. it has a 40degree shoulder and less body taper.

we do have elk in NZ but they are somewhat smaller than what you have in the US and most other places with elk. due to cross breading with the red deer.

however i do shoot mainly red deer. the big ones get to 400pounds. i dont think ive shot one over 350-375.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote