Tools

Ruger African 275 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I wish that they made them in left handed

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12527 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Picked mine up this afternoon. I would say typical standard factory wood, not much figure. Felt lively in my hands though, and the sights worked well with the stock.

Did not come with a hood for the front sight. There was a little residue where the front sight was soldered on, but that cleaned off and seems fine. It could have been from something else that just collected there. Bolt was not real smooth, but I added a little lube. It will no doubt slick up more with working it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckear - Green ?? Was it a GE fluorescent ? Like their stupid CFL [scam ! ] they have a wide strong band in the green part of the spectrum !! Roll Eyes
While researching the CFL and fluorescent lights I noticed that and found the spectrum of each on the web ! I experimented and found for example under GE lights my khaki pants looked a bit green but outside in natural light the green tinge disappeared !! One possible cause of eye problems mentioned on the web ! GE GREEN !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has to be the ultimate factory rifle of today, Follows the early British guns better than most factory or even some custom guns of today..

I think the Ruger 77 African and the Ruger 77 RSL Manlichers are the best of factory American guns today. they shoot great and have the clean classic English lines and stock design that I like without all that extra bulk of wood on them...If I can't have a Wesley Richards, Holland and Holland etc. then give me the Ruger African, and I can abuse it considerably more btw... beer

Have you noticed when a company comes out with a new rifle built to fit the masses, the masses all want them to change it!! rotflmo

OOPs, this is my second post on the subject so I added a little.. beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These rifles sold out quickly.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Picked up my Lipsey .275 Rigby today. Nice little rifle. The wood is nothing fancy but good straight grain. Aesthetically it is very satisfying . . . points well and has a trim look and feel. Because the barrel contour is small the barrel actually looks longer than 24" . . . something that appeals to me. I could do without the "Ruger" engraved on the floorplate. All in all, not a bad rifle for a factory offering under $1000. I put a gloss Leupold 3-9x40 Vari X scope on it . . . the 1' tube compliments the trim look of the rifle and the gloss goes well with the high luster blue finish.

Mike

Posts: 21194 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cjfoster,

First, I want to say Thank You for reporting these new rifles for sale on the forum! Because of you, I went to my LGS and had them order me two, and they came in today. Thanks again!

To everyone else: some others here have posted their reports on opening the boxes, so I will add to this database for common interest.

I paid $949.99 each.

I asked for darker wood. That is what I got! They were medium dark (very nice) but at least not light 'maple-like' wood. I am very pleased. One had very nice grain (for a Ruger Hawkeye), and the other was just so-so, nothing special at all, but not light stained either.

My dealer said they were going to give me consecutive serial numbers, but the two would not both be dark wood, so I did not get the consecutive serial numbers, which is fine by me.

As stated earlier by others, the stock is very slim; a wand in your hand!

The weight of the rifle is 7 lb. 10 oz.

The front sight is a gold bead. I would have prefered the 3/32 white bead on the regular African.

The rear sight is the normal flip up/down sights that Ruger puts on their No.1s. I would have preferred the one standing fixed sight that the regular Africans have. OTOH, my special order Dakota 458 Lott has the same set up rear sight that Ward and I discussed when building this rifle. I wanted the rear open sight, but also the ability to use a ghost ring mounted on the rear scope mount. So Ward put on the Dakota folding down rear sight as well as a NECG scope mounted ghost ring. I realized looking at this Ruger 275 Rigby, I could do the same with it. Maybe the best of both worlds? Maybe not? YMMV. Luckily, the rear sight on both rifles (Dakota and these new Rugers), have a strong spring on it to hold it DOWN, unlike some multiple leaf sights that sit up at a 30-45 degree angle with no spring to keep them down when using a ghost ring. Jury's still out on this idea. We'll see...

It has a banded barrel ring front sling.

It has the banded front sight.

The blue is a very high polish and deep blue.

The bolt is blued the same. Shades of the old Ruger Express rifles.

Has a 24" barrel. I like it! It is marked 275 Rigby.

The trigger is the normal LC6, which I have always liked. It has absolutely no creep or overtravel, and is fairly light, maybe 4 lbs?

It has the normal Ruger 1/4" red buttpad (why does Ruger insist on these thin, hard, worthless pads?!!), which my gunsmith will be changing out to a 1" black Decelerator. I change out all of my Ruger rifle buttpads to 1" black Decelerators.

Balance and heft of the rifle is a dream to me. Ruger Hawkeyes fit my build and hands (small) to perfection. I guess I am lucky to have the average-man height, weight, arm length, etc. Hawkeyes fit my hands better than ANY other rifle brand I have held, including my beloved Dakotas. They simply have less wood, and therefore fit my small hands better. Perhaps as others have stated, like a fine English bolt gun. But I don't know that, because I've not held many fine English rifles!

As others stated, the bolt in the raceway is a little rough but will polish out with use and sofa chair racking.

Well, that's about all I can think of to pass on.

Edited 8/17/17: two more things I forgot to mention. 1) it has a black forend tip, and 2) one cross bolt.

Oh, a side note. As my dealer was writing up the papers, I noticed a Ruger No. 1 stainless steel in 35 Whelen on his rack. Used, but in like new condition, for $1,049. I was interested and asked to hold it. As he wrote up my two new rifles, he said 'I can make you a deal on that Whelen if you want it.' I asked how good of a deal and he said $899. I walked out with three rifles today. Sometimes, things just fall into your lap!

A GOOD day at the LGS.

Good shooting to you all.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

Thanks for posting the picture of your rifle. I read it after I wrote all of the above. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mjines,

Thanks for the pictures. My best friend ordered one also and from the pics he sent me it looks like yours.

Surefire7,

You are welcome. Thanks for the write up.

I would love to see pictures of that stainless 35 whelen!!! Heck of a deal on it!!
I would like to see Ruger offer a 35 Whelen like this Rigby or even stainless with good wood.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
Mjines,

Thanks for the pictures. My best friend ordered one also and from the pics he sent me it looks like yours.

Surefire7,

You are welcome. Thanks for the write up.

I would love to see pictures of that stainless 35 whelen!!! Heck of a deal on it!!
I would like to see Ruger offer a 35 Whelen like this Rigby or even stainless with good wood.

Cjfoster,

I'm picture-challenged I'm afraid. Otherwise, I'd love to send you a picture. Yes, a very good deal I thought!

Man, if Ruger were to offer an African in 35 Whelen, I'd be on that in a NY minute. And I would not buy just one!

Let's hope Ruger is reading this forum...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what it would take to get Ruger to do a limited run of 250 in 35 Whelen?

I'm thinking the rifle should have an integral rib with express sights and upgraded wood.

I don't think they would last long!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but I cannot understand why, in this day of CNC controlled machines,they cannot make a normal bolt handle cutout in the stck instead of that oversized abortion they insist on using!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what it would take to get Ruger to do a limited run of 250 in 35 Whelen?

I'm thinking the rifle should have an integral rib with express sights and upgraded wood.

I don't think they would last long!

So, basically, the old Ruger Express rifle in 35 Whelen. Yeah, I could second that motion right here, right now. clap

I have a collection of those Ruger Express rifles and the RSMs as well, all calibers made, including the very few and rare 25-06. A 35 Whelen would be a welcome addition to the family. dancing

I agree; I don't think they would last long either. Apparently, these 275 Rigbys haven't!

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Nice rifle, but I cannot understand why, in this day of CNC controlled machines,they cannot make a normal bolt handle cutout in the stck instead of that oversized abortion they insist on using!

This is a pet peeve of mine as well.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They need to make more.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Shot mine this morning. Group was shot at 100 yards, with Norma factory ammo (156 grain Oryx). First shot is the one on the left.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I emailed the Ruger CEO and asked him for a 350 Rigby m77 African.

Maybe Lipseys will do something like that.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Ruger's CEO as well. Hopefully if enough people will do the same it will happen.

MJines,

Thanks for the target photo. Not bad of a group at all.

Surefire7,

Helluva collection! If you ever decide to part with a 30-06 express please let me know.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I was pleased. I was a little concerned about the smaller contour of the barrel but it shot fine. A group just over an 1" with factory ammo . . . and only one factory load at that . . . is not a bad start. Ordered some .275 Rigby headstamped brass to do a little handloading to see what I can do with 140 grain bullets.

While y'all are sending all these cards and letters to Ruger, Lipsey, et al. be sure to tell them to do 26" barrels too. Wink

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger M77 in .35 Whelan about 20 years ago and it would not stabilize bullets heavier than 200 gr. The 250 gr. Hornady RN cut oval holes and made 6" groups. The 1:16 twist they used I think was too slow, and they still use it in the No. 1 in .35 Whelan. Ask them to use a faster twist. As far as barrel lengths, I think the 24 inch barrel on the .275 Rigby is just right.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . the .275 Rigby is 1:8.75 twist.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:

This is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I like there bolts. I shot them really fast. Everyone is different.

Ruger is strange. One day they are cobbling together 450 bushmasters with muzzle breaks so big theylook like blunderbusses.

Next day someone is showing a nice, factory 275 Rigby. We will only see the 275 here as the marketing will be all in on the American Hawg, Zombie Reaper.

Posts: 10810 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff guys.

Thanks for the target photo Mike. I will be shooting mine this week as well. I have the Hornady 275 Rigby ammo, 140 gr.

Good idea to email Ruger about the African guys. I will do the same. A 350 Rigby is almost too much to hope for, with no one making factory ammo, but I'm all for it! But who knows? Nobody was making factory 275 Rigby to my knowledge until Hornady did when Ruger made that initial run of No.1s in it, and now this African model. Plus, of course, one can just shoot 7x57 in it. Maybe Hornady and Ruger can put their corporate minds together for the 350...?!

If not, I'll be happy with a 35 Whelen. Smiler

cjfoster: I just saw a Ruger Express rifle in 30.06 (and 300WM + 338WM) for sale on the net yesterday. Can't remember which sight though. Frowner Guns America, Guns International, Gun Broker...????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wrote the CEO of Ruger asking for a 350 Rigby first, and if not that, then a 35 Whelen.

That makes three of us so far. Anyone else, feel free to email Ruger for the next special African in 35 caliber! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another run of African's in 9.3x62 would be nice.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mjines: Thanks for mentioning the twist rate on the .275 Rigby. I have a Ruger #1A and a Ruger M77, both in 7x57, with 1:10 twists. They work with 160 gr. bullets at most, but are more accurate with 139-145 gr. bullets. The twist on the .275 Rigby should be better. Mine came in Friday so I hope to get out an shoot it this week.

The reason I was mentioning the twists in the .35 Whelan were for those asking Ruger to make the M77 African in .35 Whelan. If they can not convince Ruger to use a twist faster than 1:16, then the rifle would not have any interest for those of us who like heavy-for-caliber bullets. I would prefer a .30-06 over a .35 Whelan that can only stabilize a 200 gr. bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
The reason I was mentioning the twists in the .35 Whelan were for those asking Ruger to make the M77 African in .35 Whelan. If they can not convince Ruger to use a twist faster than 1:16, then the rifle would not have any interest for those of us who like heavy-for-caliber bullets. I would prefer a .30-06 over a .35 Whelan that can only stabilize a 200 gr. bullet.

Dale,

I checked Ruger's website and according to the spec sheet for the No.1 in 35 whelen, it has a 12 twist. Hopefully they won't change that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:

Dale,

I checked Ruger's website and according to the spec sheet for the No.1 in 35 whelen, it has a 12 twist. Hopefully they won't change that.

My 35 Whelen Ruger Hawkeyes have a 1:12 twist as well.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Another run of African's in 9.3x62 would be nice.

I agree. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is good to hear they have changed the twist. The rifle I had was from a limited run, probably about 1990, that was the M77 with the tang safety. I sold it because it would not shoot heavy bullets. Now I have the 9.3x62 in both the M77 African and the #1 so I really do not need a .35 Whelan. Both of the 9.3s shoot very well with 250-286 gr. bullets. I took 8 animals in Africa with the #1 and the Barnes 250 gr. TTSX, varying in size from honey badger to eland, and was very happy with the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lipsey's responded to my email and said that they plan to expand the offerings in the African line and 35 Whelen is on the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that Ruger would make a fine rifle for Scottish hill stalking of red deer here in Great Britain. And its just nice to see an American rifle with a 24" barrel. Looks very nice to me. A few minor style faults the fore-end slightly too long and he grip curve might be a tiny bit more open, and the recoil pad perpendicular to the bore line.

But it's really nice otherwise. The best non-Brit attempt at recreating the classic stalking rifle was oddly from Communist Czechoslovakia! The early 1970s BRNO ZKK 600 series. As below. It's just a shame that Lipsey's folk were just that little bit off exactly capturing the look. But it's still nice and a lovely gift from a father to a son.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lipsey's responded to my email and said that they plan to expand the offerings in the African line and 35 Whelen is on the list.

Great news cjfoster!

Prayers will be sent!! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just mounted a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 on my Ruger African 275 Rigby last night.

Wanted to take it to the range today, but it's raining. Maybe tomorrow.

I'll report on the results when I get it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what type of canvas strap that is pictured with the rifle on Lipsys site?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bt8897:
Does anyone know what type of canvas strap that is pictured with the rifle on Lipsys site?

Trader Keith

Go about half way down the page, listed as the Trader Rifle Strap for $60.

Bill (Trader Keith) is a good guy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Just mounted a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 on my Ruger African

I've got my scope choices narrowed down to the 2.5-8 or 3.5-10. I own both, no issues with either. Decisions, decisions...

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Shot mine yesterday

1.4" at 100 with Prvi 139gr.

3.8" five shot group rapid fire off sticks at 100 with the Prvi (that's more about my ability than the rifle)

3" with 154gr SST at 100 with handloads that are MOA in another rifle. (That was a bit disappointing. )

I think with some trigger work and some 140 gr handloads, I can make it shoot.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . the .275 Rigby is 1:8.75 twist.

Would this stabilize the classic 175 grain bullet?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckear,

Hopefully with some load development you can get it shooting better.

I'm planning on trying some 175's in mine.