Find
Notify
Tools

Watch your back!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted
Went to a local shooting range this weekend, that shall remain nameless, and had a less than pleasant time. I took two rifles, my 280AI and my 35 Whelen. I only came home with the 280.

I was trying out loads in Noslers new AI brass on the bench and had the 35 on the rack directly behind me. When I went to change guns, the 35 was gone! However, there was a nearly identical 7mm mag sitting there and another shooter had also left for the day. He took the wrong gun! As this range is open to members and public, and requires little contact info, there was little we could do but call the police, who took a report and the stray 7.

Hopefully this guy is a shooter and not one of those who won't pull that gun out for 6 months.

Anyway, keep a good eye on your stuff, I thought I was, but apparently not as good as I should have.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curiosity, how much registration do you need there to use the range?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montes:
Just curiosity, how much registration do you need there to use the range?

Ranges vary widely in that respect all across the U.S. and Canada.

At some, only members are allowed to fire. At others, anyone can shoot at any time. Many are something like out local range. It is reserved for members and their guests most of the time, but on one weekend per month, anyone with the range fee ($10 per day) an shoot. At our range they need only sign in and pay their fee, but no one checks the signatures for legitimacy, or even readability. It is a nice aspect of North American freedom, but as noted in the post which started this thread, can also have its costs.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Bummer, one reason I never rack my rifles. I keep everything next to my bench or in ym vehicle. Hopefully it was an honest mistake & you get your baby back. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use several different ranges including my own .

My personal range Which is watched by two German Shepherds , never has problems .

On open or membership ranges I use the locked trunk method. One weapon out at a time everything else locked up .Sadly it's a must now days .

It's Never fellow shooters I worry about because I've yet to meet a dishonest one , it's those off street guest or " Cowboys " that I worry about !.

Sorry for your loss !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 1 in my area is open to the public, no fees or anything. We don't have much to choose from up here, though. It's just as easy for someone just to go down a gravel road and set up as it is to go to the range. That's why we don't have many. Sounds like an honest mistake....maybe. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's a tough break, but it sounds like an honest mistake. I wonder if an SN trace might help, assuming the cops are willing to do it?

My range is a private one and all members must sign in and sign out.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13311 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The racks at the range I use are to the right of your bench - so they are never truly out of your sight.

I worry more about the occasional idiot that strays in - especially this time of year (public range). Last time I was there, a guy and his teenager set up on the 50 yard firing line. In the short time he was there, he was warned three times by the range officer for crossing the bench line and starting to tinker at his bench (and on his gun) while others were down range at the targets.

The other thing that scares me is guys with several rifles around the bench, and a bunch of different ammo boxes open at once. I usually move away, don't want to be killed by fragments.

I hope you get your rifle back soon, hopefully he is a frequent shooter and figures it out. At least you have the 7mm - he won't be able to accidentally chamber one of his rounds in your rifle. Try putting an ad in the sporting goods classified section of your local newspaper - esp in rural areas, lots of sportsmen look at classifieds in the fall for gun deals.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:
Went to a local shooting range this weekend, that shall remain nameless, and had a less than pleasant time. I took two rifles, my 280AI and my 35 Whelen. I only came home with the 280.

I was trying out loads in Noslers new AI brass on the bench and had the 35 on the rack directly behind me. When I went to change guns, the 35 was gone! However, there was a nearly identical 7mm mag sitting there and another shooter had also left for the day. He took the wrong gun! As this range is open to members and public, and requires little contact info, there was little we could do but call the police, who took a report and the stray 7.

Hopefully this guy is a shooter and not one of those who won't pull that gun out for 6 months.

Anyway, keep a good eye on your stuff, I thought I was, but apparently not as good as I should have.

Ted68, That stinks but it looks like it's a dumbazz and not a thief. A thief wouldn't have left another rifle. I sure hope you can get yours back. Good luck and let us know what happens............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
post a sign at the range.. call everyday.. but i expect the monday after he hits the field he might remember where he last had his why dont the 7mag shells fit anymorerifle at...and thank god it wasn't a 35norma..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38352 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really sucks. Had a 28 gauge O/U weatherby Orion stolen, but it was recovered by the cops six months later as the idiot theif attempted to sell it at an honest pawn shop. Hope you have the serial number for the rifle, and I hope you gave it to the police. Once they put that number into the system as stolen, the theif can't get away with trying to sell it at honest gun or pawn shops. Hopefully, it was just a mistake, and he'll contact you or the range. I wouldn't trade a 35 Whelen for a 7mm under any circumstances...love the 35's.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Yep, I gave the police the s/n as soon as I got home to look it up. The range master put a sign up himself, and none of us think it was anything but a case of intense brain fade. An unfortunate but honest mistake. Either way, I'll be using the locked truck method from now on.

I did take TMG's advice on an ad--thank you--and the officer said if it was a handgun they could find the registered owner in 90 seconds, but long gun records are kept differently and cannot really be traced.

In the long run, it is far, far from the end of the world. Just wanted to remind all that it can happen anytime.

Cheers!

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if the manufacturer would go so far to be helpful, or if maybe the other guy wasn't the first owner - but you might take the serial number of the other gun to it's manufacturer, see if warranty info was submitted, and ask them to contact the person who submitted it.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
In italy is a little different, all shooters must be members of the range company, Insurance reasons, all the people that is shooting must have a doc printed in three copies, one for the range, one for the R.O. ( as I am) one for the shooter.All the three copies mus be signed by the shooter, the last two must be signed by the R.O. The registration remain also on the computer for a while. All the guns must be registeresd at police office. Until 10 years ago I was ready to put my right hand on fire that none could intentionally take away anything, now it is not the same, from monday to fryday the range has less control and sometime some bastard robbs something. But someone else leaves sometime a rifle or some interesting accessory.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I live in Idaho...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Glad I live in Idaho...

Gun laws are much more user friendly in Idaho.

But Italy wins on food and culture. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13311 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another security measure at one of the ranges I use which happens to share location near a military installation . An inexpensive camera trips two pictures , when driven through the entrance . Which records license number and occupants . It logs a photo on the ranges computer system . Given the length of the entrance and drive too the club house , it would be near impossible to have some type of attack or nonsense scenario .

In our case only a total Moron would even consider attempting something . This range is frequented by EX Marines who are armed !!!!.

It's kind of nice knowing they're thinking of YOU'RE safety as well as themselves .

It might be a suggestion to some range officers out there on inexpensive security measures . Because these days no one knows for sure !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
This thread made me keep a serious eye on my rifles that were on the rack behind me.. Fortunately the rack was a bit to the right so I could see it in between shots...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just hope he doesnt try to shoot 7mm ammo out the 35 whelen!
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Glad I live in Idaho...

Yep.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Ted I really hope you get your rifle back. Let us know how this turns out.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Ray,
it is not so bad at the end, the registration helps in finding the names of all the shooters presents at the range during the day and the search is easier crossing the data.

The r.o. helps because can stop the unwished examination of the guns in the rack, obliging to ask to the owner the permission to mange the gun.

It has happened that someone made an exchange, but when advised of the fact the problem has been solved quickly, because if ignored it can become an offense and the responsible can be also prosecuted.

Is difficult that anyone robbs something of another shooter, it have been robbed things like the rests or the acessories (range properties) or thing like these.

Sadly we live in a not perfect world.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am sure it was an honest mistake.

Just like what everyone has said before, a thief would not have left one of their rifles.

Hopefully he heads back to the shooting range and sees the note on the board or goes out of his way to put one up about your gun

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, that guy probably seen two 77s or 700s next to each other and just took the wrong caliber home. Wink