Notify
Tools

375-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Say fellas,
I'm just sending some money today to pay for a lh zastava action I agreed to buy.
When I get it, I was thinking a 375 based on the -06 cartridge. Would y'all mind sharing opinions on which one?

I reload, so no biggie, but I've never made my own brass. I can I guess.
Any opinions on who to do the work also? I was thinking blued, Dakota bolt handle, wing safety, McMillan or other stock and this morning I was wondering " why not a drop box magazine?" hilbily

Thanks friends.

Posts: 9074 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
the world is your oyster,
the additions all sound great-
as to caliber- your choice as stated
Or perhaps consider-
375 Hawk or 411 Hawk
both function/chamber well with their shoulders

have enjoyed both

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsamerica.com/95...375-WHELEN-375-0.htm

This is a good deal!

Seems like people love them. Are you thinking of a 38 Whelen (original name 30-06 necked up) or an “improved” version?

Another forum member is happy with his 9,5-9,3x62 or 375-9,3x62 aka 375x62. An easy conversion for a donor 9,3x62. Also a 9,3x62 is a good donor gun for a project like this.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure whether you have a budget in mind but all that work is going to cost a bit.

I’m a lefty and built a 9.3X62 on a Zastava LH action. I used a light profile Walther Lothar pre-fit 98 barrel. Their barrels are good quality and economical. A 375 Whelen would work fine too. If you are considering an improved version I’d probably simply open up the neck of a 280 AI and call it good. Factory cases that only need to be necked up rather than multiple case forming operations makes for an easier wildcat to feed.

If you go for a ‘06 based cartridge I don’t think you really need a drop belly mag. It only complicates trying to find a stock. I didn’t like the current Zastava factory bottom metal with the push button floorplate release. I swapped mine out for one out of an earlier Interarms action (also a Zastava action). It has the more traditional guard bow release.

Gentry has LH 3 position safeties available. The factory trigger is adjustable and works fine. I wasn’t a fan of the bolt handle either and had another welded on. When looking for stocks if you change the safety and bottom metal make sure the stock you select caters for these changes. If you’re after a McMillan I think it might be best to send them the barrelled action and have them fit it for you. That way you can make sure it fits properly without any gaps.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Not sure whether you have a budget in mind but all that work is going to cost a bit.

I’m a lefty and built a 9.3X62 on a Zastava LH action. I used a light profile Walther Lothar pre-fit 98 barrel. Their barrels are good quality and economical. A 375 Whelen would work fine too. If you are considering an improved version I’d probably simply open up the neck of a 280 AI and call it good. Factory cases that only need to be necked up rather than multiple case forming operations makes for an easier wildcat to feed.

If you go for a ‘06 based cartridge I don’t think you really need a drop belly mag. It only complicates trying to find a stock. I didn’t like the current Zastava factory bottom metal with the push button floorplate release. I swapped mine out for one out of an earlier Interarms action (also a Zastava action). It has the more traditional guard bow release.

Gentry has LH 3 position safeties available. The factory trigger is adjustable and works fine. I wasn’t a fan of the bolt handle either and had another welded on. When looking for stocks if you change the safety and bottom metal make sure the stock you select caters for these changes. If you’re after a McMillan I think it might be best to send them the barrelled action and have them fit it for you. That way you can make sure it fits properly without any gaps.

10/4
Foolishly spending money is one thing, compounded foolish money spending another. Big Grin
I don't need a drop box and I figured I'd send the barreled action to mcmillan.

I already have a couple lh 458s, as well as a lh 9.3x 62. I know the 375 hawk will duplicate, my 9.3 shoots both the 320 and 286 grain bullets very accurately.

I thought about an 8mm-06 but the .375 intrigues me a little more.

Who's building these days that we'd recommend?

Posts: 9074 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you already have a 9.3x62 and like the 8mm then perhaps consider a 8x64. A mate has one and he has been using it on everything lately. He mainly loads Barnes 160 monos and it seems to work flawlessly on large and smaller game.

The cartridge a bit obscure but is available in Walther Lothar’s pre-fit range of barrel options. That would take care of having to find a reamer. I think he uses S&B cases and the dies were off the shelf but a special order.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fine project Scott, especially for up your way. I'd would probably pick the .375 Whelen as well -- in Ackley Improved. Something nice about a nod to both Townsend Whelen and Parker Ackley.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 375-93x62 would be so easy but I like the idea of a 375-400 Whelen. a 400 Whelen necked down to 375. a “Whelen Improved” if you will. I like the charm of the original 38 Whelen though.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Since you already have a 9.3x62 and like the 8mm then perhaps consider a 8x64. A mate has one and he has been using it on everything lately. He mainly loads Barnes 160 monos and it seems to work flawlessly on large and smaller game.

The cartridge a bit obscure but is available in Walther Lothar’s pre-fit range of barrel options. That would take care of having to find a reamer. I think he uses S&B cases and the dies were off the shelf but a special order.

I think the 8mm's are flawless. I briefly owned a rh 8mm mag a d thought it was neat, but that was right at the beginning of my Exodus toward lh rifles so it went on its way quietly.

I did hear back from Kevin Weaver and he thought that despite my poor looks and low intellect we might just discuss it over the phone. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he’s willing to do it, I’d ask DPCD to build it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 375-06 Ackley Improved. I bought a 375 Whelan barrel from someone I know.He had issues with headspacing and just gave up on the project. I had it re-chambered to the AI version and have not had a single issue

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
This seems like it makes more sense over the .400 Whelen. A lot more bullets to choose from. Or .416 Whelen

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 Hawk/Scoville. Moose and bears don't like it, but I do!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 375x9.3x62 named mine the 9.5x62. Gives more powder space than most, it simple the 9.3x62 necked up to 375..Brass is easy to come by, bullets are easy to come by, and you buy a set of 9.3x62 dies and have the neck opened up and that's not costly, Dennis Olson did the dies and metal work on mine, I stocked it myself. I made mine a little too light, were I to build another Id want it to weigh at least 9 to 9,5 lbs ........You can form brass by shooting 30-06 or 35 whelens in it. or load 30 grs of Hercules a piece of Kleenex and cornmeal over that and wax on top and fireform..

I got 2500 plus some FPS with 300 gr. bullets and 2350 fps with 350 woodleighs...that's where I load my 375 at also, albeit I can get a 100 to a 150 fps higher velocity in my 375...It was a perfect buffalo gun, and elephant ready. 9.3x62..

Its one of those cartridges you just have to become very fond of..but in reality its just another wildcat and many factory rounds duplicate it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
fun round, especially for lighter bullets, as the heavies are designed for larger case and vels. the vels being the more important part..

might i offer that a 35 whelen, with 225 gamekings, will flat out slay anything in NA? and everything it's "legal" for in Africa

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38437 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'd kinda like one in a steel (not lightweight) BLR

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 30 gibbs in a fwt mod. 70 pre 64 and it hammered me and all my friends quit coming over to RAys house, I sold it..big snap and no push..I wouldn't want one in a steel BLR..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a .375/.284 XP-100 handgun made by SSK for over 20 years. Have used it extensively killing a lot of stuff from groundhogs (350 yds. +) to hippo (129 yd., Nosler 260 gr. solid- 1 shot). My #1 bullet for years was the 260 gr. NAB, but also had really good luck with Horn. 250 gr. GMX, 260 gr. NPT.
I'm a bullet tester for Lehigh Defense. Have been using their 250 gr. Chaos. It has 4 pedals that break off in the game and the base stays together, giving you 5 tracts of damage in the animal. Very accurate. Did a 200#+ bear in WV this year at 144 yds. Hit the top of the shoulder. Pedals went in spine, lungs, intestines. Base went through both upper shoulders & exited. Bear went nowhere. This looks like a really good bullet with enhanced lethality.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 248 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Too bad it is too light. I have an address I can send you to get rid of that mistake Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I built a 375x9.3x62 named mine the 9.5x62. Gives more powder space than most, it simple the 9.3x62 necked up to 375..Brass is easy to come by, bullets are easy to come by, and you buy a set of 9.3x62 dies and have the neck opened up and that's not costly, Dennis Olson did the dies and metal work on mine, I stocked it myself. I made mine a little too light, were I to build another Id want it to weigh at least 9 to 9,5 lbs ........You can form brass by shooting 30-06 or 35 whelens in it. or load 30 grs of Hercules a piece of Kleenex and cornmeal over that and wax on top and fireform..

I got 2500 plus some FPS with 300 gr. bullets and 2350 fps with 350 woodleighs...that's where I load my 375 at also, albeit I can get a 100 to a 150 fps higher velocity in my 375...It was a perfect buffalo gun, and elephant ready. 9.3x62..

Its one of those cartridges you just have to become very fond of..but in reality its just another wildcat and many factory rounds duplicate it..

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or just go with a 9.3x62 for a non wildcat. Not that there is anything wrong with a 375-06. You can buy ammo; a factor which I Never consider when building a rifle. But some guys do; no AR members though. All of them make ammo from raw brass sheets.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I liked the 9.5x62 it was a wildcat, and the 9.3x62 suited me just as well and wasn't a wildcat, and 9.3x62 PPU brass is cheap and easy to come by as are dies..

Bottom line is the 9.3x62 is the best DG round on a 30-06 size case, if you don't use 30-06 brass, and there is no need to do that, its approaching dangerous, and out of specs for a 9.3x62 in that it blows the head of the case out and brass longevity suffers from overworking. old ..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hawk version or some other expanded shoulder version for good head spacing.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf, I thought the 400-375 pre dated the 9.5 mann by a couple years?
I found a couple old Kynoch 400-375 rounds, after looking at them on my shelf a year or two I couldn't stand it.
Got a reamer made, dies, case belting die and presto, the first new made rifle in that caliber in who knows how long!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
As far as the gunsmith for the job, I have had great luck with Dennis Olson in Plains Montana. His work was great, prices reasonable and turn around time was outstanding.

I’ve been using my rifles more than building them lately so I’ve only had one job out to him in the past two years, but it was flawless as usual. But I have one that will be headed his way in a week or two. He is an honest guy also.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

might i offer that a 35 whelen, with 225 gamekings, will flat out slay anything in NA? and everything it's "legal" for in Africa

Hear, Hear!

Although in the 225 weight, we use the Fed. Prem. TBBC. Stone killer on Elk.

I tend to use the 250NP for the Africa hunts.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Weatherby has a new 6.5 based on a enlongated 284 Winchester that is fully 30-06 length.

I was thinking this morning it would be a hell of a 375-6.5 RPM.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just an old hunter who likes larger calibers but, At some point, I would think that there would be diminishing returns when going much larger than a .358 or 9,3 bullet in the '06 case. I could be wrong and it might be a fun project, but there is nothing wrong with the good old 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
I'm just an old hunter who likes larger calibers but, At some point, I would think that there would be diminishing returns when going much larger than a .358 or 9,3 bullet in the '06 case. I could be wrong and it might be a fun project, but there is nothing wrong with the good old 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen.

My vote would be 35 Whelen. There is also 35 Brown Whelen which is sort of like 35 Whelen Improved and and shoulder moved forward. Kind of like a 9.3 X 62 Imp necked to 35.

With 35 you have all those pistol bullets plus the quick expanders in the 200 grain range for the 35 Remington.

My guess would be any of the bullets from 225 grains and up would be designed with 35 Whelen in mind.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Hear, Hear!

Although in the 225 weight, we use the Fed. Prem. TBBC. Stone killer on Elk.

I tend to use the 250NP for the Africa hunts.

+1 on the 250 Nosler for everything.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I never really considered a .375 based on a 30’06 case until I recently bought a .375 Express.
Although shorter than the 30’06, it does seem to fit the bill for 90% of the game taken in N.A.
The newish .375 Ruger looks to be the darling of the .375” clan right now.
It’s a great cartridge but is looking to supplant the 375H&H which is only pertinent to a very small percentage of hunters or rifle buffs.
A .375 in a smaller package such as the 375 Whelen or the .375 Express or whatever you are considering has much more utility - can’t go wrong IMO.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always felt the 06 case shorted me on powder capacity especially with heavier bullets..a round I was fond of back in the day was the wonderfull little 375 Chatfield Taylor, it duplicated the 375 H&H for all pratical purposes..but perhaps today the 375 Ruger is hard to beat?? and its not a wildcat.

I think my favorite wildcat today is my 8mm/06 Ackley, Id shoot anything with it..but I like it mostly because its light and recoil is not abusive and its on a wonderfull Brno mod 21,

cost of wildcats aggravates me no end, dies have gone sky high and fire forming is costly, the conversions are costly and resale sucks..If I was to do this one over Id have left it a 8mm/06. I have a Brno 8x57 and its as good as an 06..or 8mm/06 when loaded up to snuff..

Just food for thought..and to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not go up a little to the .375/.338, otherwise known as the .375 Chatfield-Taylor? It will pretty well duplicate .375 H&H performance, but can also be loaded down to whatever level you might choose.

It fits right in to a standard length action. My first one was built on an '03 Springfield action and another one on a pre-64 Model 70 in .30-'06.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Weatherby has a new 6.5 based on a enlongated 284 Winchester that is fully 30-06 length.

I was thinking this morning it would be a hell of a 375-6.5 RPM.

it would be indistinguishable from the 264

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
So can we use the .375-06 on the big 5?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In this day + time, who knows? Will it perform? Yes! Rules change. I must admit that although I am a wildcat aficionado I always have been a fan of my 2nd favorite calibre; the 375 H+H; my 1st being the 6.5X54 M/S but that need not apply here. Long way around the barn. By all means, but you are reinventing the wheel. But you know, that can be fun too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
So can we use the .375-06 on the big 5?

maybe -- the 9,3x62 has been used, which is basically a 366x06 .. it's marginal. the 9,3x64, which is nearly the same case capacity of a 375 necked to 366, is legal.

you CAN make x64 cases by turning the belt off HH cases

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with the 35 Whelen you could for buffalo if you are comfortable with a 250 grain bullet at 2450-2500 (I know some folks report 2600 but my rifle is a 2450 rifle).

Folks have hunted brown bear with 35 Whelen.

The 375/06 with a 300 grain bullet would have to be a 2300-2400 round. 2400 is the old 375 Flanged Magnum velocity for 3,800 something feet per second.

The 375 Taylor sounds better if looking for a dangerous game cartridge for the person wanting a wildcat.

Mozambique has no caliber or energy requirement.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as wildcats go, the 375 and 416 Taylor make more since than most wildcats..run a easy to buy .338 win case thru a 375 Chatfield/Taylor die and bingo your ready to load, and it will duplicate the 375 H&H balistically for all practical purposes..and its an easy conversion on a std lenth Mauser or mod 70...If you have a woody on for the belt then use 9.3x64 cases if you must..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120