Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 X 68
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
I was reading about this caliber and find it rally interesting as an all- around caliber. It doesn't seem there is that much availible as far as load data, brass, and dies, at least from Cabelas or Midway? Anybody shoot this cal in the US? If so do you have problems getting components?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
6.5×68 Schuler or 6.5×68R? The former is rimless while the latter is not. I took a quick look for a parent cartridge to form the former from (try saying that 10 times real fast), but didn't come up with anything long enough. For that reason, I suspect the limitation would be having to buy expensive European brass. You'd do better to widldcat something off a domestic parent or to use the 6.5mm Weatherby magnum.

The 6.5-284 already shoots barrels out in just 2000–2500 rounds. With 25% more powder room, your 6.5×68 is really going to have short barrel life. If you're going to do that anyway, I would go for the Weatherby.

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unclenick:
6.5×68 Schuler or 6.5×68R? The former is rimless while the latter is not. I took a quick look for a parent cartridge to form the former from (try saying that 10 times real fast), but didn't come up with anything long enough. For that reason, I suspect the limitation would be having to buy expensive European brass. You'd do better to widldcat something off a domestic parent or to use the 6.5mm Weatherby magnum.

The 6.5-284 already shoots barrels out in just 2000–2500 rounds. With 25% more powder room, your 6.5×68 is really going to have short barrel life. If you're going to do that anyway, I would go for the Weatherby.

good point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the folks at RWS, in their infinite wisdom, offer this cartridge and brass in both rimmed and rimless versions, that use the same reloading dies and data. The light bullet load is a 93gr SP at nearly 3700fps. HDS/RCBS offer brass and dies...

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off topic but what is this 6.5 Weatherby? Which Weatherby case is it based off?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Performance wise, the 6.5x68 is very close to the .264 Win Mag. It is modestly popular where I shoot, and, yes, it is pretty hard on barrels. There is a US guy who posts on the Asian forum here who uses the caliber in a Blaser. The brass is basically the same as that for the 8x68S.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in standard CIP form is not very tight twisted. Heaviest factory loads are 127gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I/

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x68 Schuler is essentially a Continental version of the .264 Win Mag (or vice-versa, as I believe it preceded the .264 chronologically). However, it was conceived to use lighter bullets. Published velocities are exaggerated. It will yield almost, but not quite, the same velocities as the .264 if loaded to similar pressures, and I've never seen loading data for bullets as heavy as 140 grains. Its standard twist is, I believe, about 1-11". Given the lighter bullets it uses, it is more similar to the .257 Weatherby or .25-06 in application.

Barrel burn out? Yes, I suppose if you're using it for prairie dogs. Shooting something between 2 and 10 head of game a year, plus the necessary work-up and sighting loads, no one should ever worry about burning the barrel out on a hunting rifle. If you do, then you're blessed with way too many hunting opportunities and you need to spread your hunting duties around to a couple of other rifles!

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Tried to load it for a friend, a total delusion.
It is the worst possible reduced version of the 8x68S that, instead is a very good cartridge. The normal twist rate choosed limits the bullet range on the light side. Not my choice.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whizzbang,

essentially, the 300Wby necked to 6,5mm. The original credit goes to a Pennsylvania 1000 yd gunsmith named Hoyer and a customer named Wright. The 6,5mm WWH, Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer; was very popular in the matches for years. You could duplicate it pretty easy using 7STW brass if you don't need the goofy Wbee shoulder hassle.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not demean the 6,5x68Shuler too quickly gentlemen.

It does have about the same case capacity advantage over the 264WM as the 375R does over the 375H&H, and that is supposed to be very significant. The Germans developed it before the late unpleasantness started, about 1938, IIRC. I first saw the catridge and a Wbee rifle chambered for it when a cop buddy's kid (1990-ish) in the Army brought one home from Germany. The concept appears to be a screaming high velocity and lightweight (93gr?) bullet for shooting those goat-looking things from alp to alp. His rifle had a 26" barrel and shot the RWS 129 grain load over 3400fps.

As far as reloading, if you can reload 300H&h without issue, you can do this one just as easy. They look a lot alike, good body taper and a long sloping shoulder for zero feeding problems. I ended up with the rifle and shot it about a hundred rounds a year, until a Wbee collector saw it and gave me nearly enough $$$ to build a new house for it. I just wish it would fit in a standard magnum 98 action...I'd have another one.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It does have about the same case capacity advantage over the 264WM as the 375R does over the 375H&H,

I think you've got it backward, Idaho. The .264 case should have a little more capacity. The dimensional reference I have indicates slightly less volume in the 6.5x68 with its more tapered case and sloped shoulder.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned the 6.5X68 in a Mauser 66 (rubbish) and in a Krico........(incredibly accurate) but as IS says, set up for lighter bullets.

Currently have three 264 Mags; can't seem to get away from it in one guise or the other. Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote