THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    330 Dakota, anyone using one still?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

330 Dakota, anyone using one still?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Came across a very nice Dakota Model 10 chambered in this round. I'm reading "honest" velocities of 2,950fps with a 250gr bullet.

Looking for ammo or brass online...non-existent.

Is this a lost cause to purchase? I really like the rifle but usually if ammo cannot be found local then online is the source...not the case for this round.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 330 Dakota is way too much cartridge for a svelte little Model 10. I'm sure that's why the rifle is for sale. Brutal!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A 330 Dakota is way too much cartridge for a svelte little Model 10. I'm sure that's why the rifle is for sale. Brutal!

It does have a cute little brake on it though Big Grin. Absolutely beautiful rifle

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 330 Dakota, I have used it and smaller brother the 300 for years both are very accurate cartridges and smooth feeders. I have taken a hand full of moose with them. They are both easy to load for, You can use Dakota brass or 404 Jeffries or Rem. ultra mag brass, I am not worried about brass and have used all three actually. They are short efficient cartridges that are very accurate.
I would not hessitate if I liked the rifle.
BB

Posts: 397 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 330 Dakota, I have used it and its smaller brother the 300 for years both are very accurate cartridges. They are short efficient cartridges that are very accurate.
I would not hessitate if I liked the rifle.
I have taken a hand full of moose with them. They are both easy to load for, You can use Dakota brass or 404 Jeffries or Rem. ultra mag brass, I am not worried about brass and have used all three actually.
BB

Posts: 397 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one as well.

Until Dakota Arms gets sorted out, ammo and properly headstamped brass will be a challenge, but it’s a great round that is about the level of the .340 weatherby.

There are a few places (I think both RCBS and Redding) made dies, and as others mentioned the cases can be formed from ultra mag or .404 cases as well.

If you like the gun, get it! They are a hammer on game.

I’ve shot a variety of African game, a big moose, and a brown bear with mine.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 Dakota in a M76. (not the 330)
Accuracy in this rifle is typically around 1.5-2" with bullet weights ranging from 150-220.
I am lucky that I purchased Dakota brass about 1.5 years ago before components really got hard to get.
My guess is components will become more available in a year when factories and inventories build up again.
I have not done it, but reforming 404 Jeffery sounds like the way to go if you can not find Dakota brass.
The only drawback I see with the Jeffery based rounds is the expense of brass as compared to other cartridges.
The 10 is a nice rifle - go for it if you like it.

Posts: 27 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All these new 300s and 338s on huge cases get you 100 fps advantage, according to my chronographs and some not that much, and if you stay in safe pressure range or load the 338 and 300 too hot then do the old tap dance called the balistic masterbation two step!! BOOM

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, the 338WM has done everything I've asked/needed of it, but I limit my shots to under 400 yds., due to my marksmanship talent.

The recoil of the 338WM also seems to be at my enjoyment limit as well, with 250 & 275 gr. bullets, which are the only two I shoot in it.

If I want to shoot lighter bullets, I go down in caliber, or use my 338-06. If I want to shoot heavier bullets, I go up in caliber, but the recoil then seems to me to be a big shove instead of a fast jab.

But for long range shooting with a 338 caliber, these bigger cased 338s must be just the ticket! I can see nothing wrong with them, IF one can consistently shoot them accurately.

I am no longer a young buck (70), so as I progressively get older, I suspect my tolerance for recoil will decline, so take my comments for what they're worth...

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm with you surefire. I love my 500 Jeffery, but only put 20 or 30 rounds a year through it these days then take it hunting just cause I can. Most times I fall back on my 270 Win with 150g Partitions. It does everything I need in the lower 48.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote