Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MK II 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
I was cleaning some weapons last night and was appreciating our friend dpcd's work pulling together a SS Ruger in 9.3x62 for me which originally began as a 270. He went through the action to ensure feed/function and re-did the trigger. He installed one of his fabulous Dougie No 3 barrels and recontoured the factory laminated stock to a more Hawkeye type before bedding it.

I traded a client where I am for a little additional work of putting on a sling swivel anda front island sight on the barrel and I traded someone into an NECG peep sight.

Talk about built for battle! In time I'll have Tom give the same treatment to another such Ruger but make it in 7x57. The Ruger is hell for stout. I had the whole thing done in Cerakote Armor Black. I plan to hunt it with the peep sight only as much as possible. 8 lbs and a tad on the scale so about 8.5 fully loaded and what a pleasure in the hand.

Fall is on the way!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD is a damn good fella.

Sounds like a neat rig.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your special rifle. Sounds like a real winner. And in a great caliber to boot. tu2

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sure Tom did a great job on your 9.3x62. He has done three rifles for me and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I like his style.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
That would be a perfect rifle for Alaska,, 250 Accubonds for most and 286 NP for brown bears!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 rifles myself from him! Great work all around

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
The 250 accubomd is one I want to play with.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the 250 Accubond on a few elk both cows and bulls in my 9.3x62 and in my .338 Win. and its a grand bullet, as good as my old stand by Nosler partition in expansion and penetration..Even so I always liked the 300 Swift in the 9.3x62 in heavy timber and the 286 in the Sage brush locally..but they all have worked just fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Any photos of this rifle Bluefish? How does the Douglas #3 contour compare to the original .270 barrel?

I have a left m77 mkii that needs this treatment. 9.3x62 would be handy, and a 7x57 to sit with it would be too cool as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I'll have to see about a pic. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the weight of it with the laminated stock. I am giving some thought to a synthetic to lose some of the weight. Other than that it has accounted for a number of deer and I may take it on a bear hunt this year if I go. I am hoping to again be drawn for a Maine moose tag and, if successful, it will make the trip.

Forum member, DPCD, did the work and once the Douglas barrel broke in it shoots quite well. I hunt with mainly 286 NPs over 58.5 grains of RL 15 in its 24" barrel. I also use quite a bit of PRVI stuff since the really like the brass. I would say it compares very favorably to the H&H and with a 250 grain bullet like the AB may range quite well compared to the 338 Win Mag out to any sane hunting range of 400 yards. Since I do not hunt at those distances, I am merely delving into conjecture but it is surely a good, general purpose hunting round for the types of adventures most of us are likely to engage in.

Incidentally, DPCD made me its twin in 7x57. I like your thinking!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
The 250 accubomd is one I want to play with.

Have this same rifle bought from AR member Snowolfe. Built by an Anchorage gunsmith.

320g woodleighs.
Squeeze the trigger, blink at the shot, recover and look thru the scope,.....
Four hooves in the air.
That's the last you see of him til you walk over there.
Very, very accurate also.
I don't see any reason to slim down your rifle, how light does it need to be to handle 250- 320 grain bullets?

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
It's a little piggy at 9.5 lbs with scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Africa many times with the 9.3x62 and a 7x57, good combo anywhere in the world..sometimes I combined the 7x57 with my 338 or other big bore, lots of good options can be built around the 7x57 or 30-06..I liked the 320 gr. Woodleighs on Buffalo in the 9.3s or the 300 gr. Swift.

Of all the options I finally settled on the 375 Ruger and the 7x57 as my favorite at least for now.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
The wood stocked 7x57 I am working on is designed around the 160 grain Nosler Partition. I believe it to be a good general purpose bullet in that caliber. Flies good and reliable on a variety of game.types though it will mainly be used for.deer hunting.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
SS Ruger NECG peep sight.

on THAT version of the necg, make sure to keep the knurled aperture snug to tight (hand tight) as that is the friction lock for adjusting elevation, and can move when loose

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bluefish
That sounds like a beautiful rifle. I had a Remington 721 rebored to a 9.3x62 and no other cartridge has impressed me more that it.
The 64 is all that and then some.
Id love to see pictures.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to choose between the 9.3x62 and the .338 Win. Never will so most of my life I had both..Today I have no real use for either so I only have one big bore, my ruger mk2 375 Ruger and I have no real use for it, just a bad habit...

My latest go to elk rifle is the 8mm-06 ACkley, at least on paper, so when I go elk hunting I take my 30-06 loaded with 200 gr. accubonds, go figure! faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Bluefish
I had a Remington 721 rebored to a 9.3x62 and no other cartridge has impressed me more that it.
The 64 is all that and then some.
Id love to see pictures.

Nice set up! The 721 stock, with a rubber but added for more LOP, fits me really nice with the open sights. I love them.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote