New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With all the reloading problems people have had the last few years I need some help with some loads. I have worked out the replacement loads for my other rifles but my 270.

I have always used Nosler 150 gr loads in my rifles with good success but moved to Hornaday when I ran out of nosler 150 gr bullets.

For the most part I have had good luck with finding replacement Hornaday bullets that shoot well.

For the 270 I found some Hornaday 140 gr spbt and 130 gr SST loads.

I am still working of a final load for the 140 grain bullets but the 130 SST were a negatave 4-6 inches low sight in point and no good pattern.

In my other rifles the sst shoots a very good group from touching to 1/2 inch group with the 139 SST in 7mm.

I was using 57.5 gr H4831 in the 270 and was wondering if hotter loads similar to what Jack O used to shoot might work more in the 58-60 range might work better for the 140 SST?

In my 7mm-08 using H414/760 that I needed two more gains powder for the 139 SST vs the 139 sp or spbt to get good accuracy.

Any one done some work ups for their 140 grain Hornaday loads or the SST 139 loads.

Thanks, Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Never used Hornadys for hunting.

But I have used Barnes X, Trophy Bonded and Jensen bullets in various 270 wildcats.

130, 140 and 150 grains.

They all shot well in my rifles.

And there was absolutely no difference in killing effect between them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:
With all the reloading problems people have had the last few years I need some help with some loads. I have worked out the replacement loads for my other rifles but my 270.

I have always used Nosler 150 gr loads in my rifles with good success but moved to Hornaday when I ran out of nosler 150 gr bullets.

For the most part I have had good luck with finding replacement Hornaday bullets that shoot well.

I am still working of a final load for the 140 grain bullets but the 130 SST were a negatave 4-6 inches low sight in point and no good pattern.

In my other rifles the sst shoots a very good group from touching to 1/2 inch group with the 139 SST in 7mm.

I was using 57.5 gr H4831 in the 270 and was wondering if hotter loads similar to what Jack O used to shoot might work more in the 58-60 range might work better for the 140 SST?

In my 7mm-08 using H414/760 that I needed two more gains powder for the 139 SST vs the 139 sp or spbt to get good accuracy.

Any one done some work ups for their 140 grain Hornaday loads or the SST 139 loads.

Thanks, Jim

I think Jack O'Conner used a mil-surp H4831 powder that had a different burn rate than what we currently have. The prudent thing would be to work up the load in your rifle, as each rifle is unique. Manuels are guidelines and they always recommend working up the load. Sometimes you can go above that stated MAX and other times that MAX is too hot.

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Hornady 140 I/L in my 270's since they came out. I have had very good performance on Hogs and Deer with them and they are very accurate in my guns. I have always run 60.0 grains of H4831 in Win brass with a Win std primer, I chrono'd it years ago and it was close to 3100 fps. Like the book says, always start below and work up on the powder charge. That said, my 270's always seemed to shoot the best groups near max loads. I think the current Hornady manual shows that load as the next to max load, but I will check that. Lee.
Correction! They show 59.9 gr. as a max load, YMMV.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I have been using the Hornady 140 I/L in my 270's since they came out. I have had very good performance on Hogs and Deer with them and they are very accurate in my guns. I have always run 60.0 grains of H4831 in Win brass with a Win std primer, I chrono'd it years ago and it was close to 3100 fps. Like the book says, always start below and work up on the powder charge. YMMV.

That's really good velocity with the 140-gr. What barrel length?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is strange since the Nosler 150's all shot well in the 270/280/7mag with h4831. I still wish that Nosler still made the old 150 sp with the lead tip. With the nosler 150 bt, it shot well but I did not like the action on deer at 225-300 yards but all the other Noslers 150 fit in the under an inch groups except till the new plastic tips. The partion 160 still shoots a great group.

I like the Hornaday bullets but
7mag likes the sp 139 and the boat tail sucks badly, 139 SSTs shoot touching.
7mm-08 shoots well with both 139 interlock bullets with the sp and spbt. 139 SSTs tend to touch.

I need some work on the 140 spbt and have some more loads to fig out what works the best

With all my other rifles and family rifles all shoot the sst to touching or close

Just need some help on where to find where the sweet spot is for a 270 130 gr SST shoots well with H4831. Hopefully some of you have figured out where they shoot well in their 270 so I can start low and work up to that sweet spot for me. Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack used 62 grs of the old H4831 and rem 130 gr corelokts as a rule, WW OPE and silvertips often..keep in mind that old stuff got more velocity and less pressure and was accurate in most any 270 or 06. I still have a good deal of it and I use 60 grs from time to time but it meters rough so I find myself using RL-22 so I don't have to weigh each charge.. Todays 4831 IMR or H calls for 57 to 59 grs for work up, and its accurate and fast enough..Mighttry RL-19 also. Use Nosler Accubond bullets, they generally shoot best and better than Hornadys in my guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:

Thanks, Jim

Ray My big game load for my 270 for 50 years now has been Rem brass, CCI Magnum primers, 150g Partition and 58.5g of H4831. It gives me just over 3000 fps out of my BDLs 22" barrel. Anyone who wants to try this load please work up 1/2 g at a time. I also neck size only, but before going hunting run all of the cartridges through the rifle. This load has produced less than 1/2" groups in our two 270s (one is a LH BDL) for my oldest son.

Good hunting!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with rl-19 and the 140's using Fed 210's.
don't remember the load, but it wasn't max.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the help.

So no one shoots the 130 SST in 270?

This may need more powder?
If I look at my 7mm-08 needs 1 grain more of H4831 for 139 SST than the 139 spbt for touching holes. H139 Sp shoots slightly larger group.

MY 7 mag needs 2 grains more of H4831 for touching groups over than H 139 SP. Funny the SP shoots a great group and the H139 SPBT sucks.

I am working up some more h4831 load increments for the 139 spbt as I am thinking that I need a hotter load for better groups. The 139SST shoots great in my other guns but funny the sp 139 were couple inches higher that the sight in pt while the 130SSt was 5-4 inches low of the sight in spot and 4" area. May be it needs a lot more powder?

For the rem 270 all my old 150 noslers used 57.5 H4831 seemed to work for all the old versions until they went to the plastic tips. It was a nice load for all of them with the same 3/4 inch group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JimTx
posted 06 March 2023 18:25
Appreciate the help.

So no one shoots the 130 SST in 270?[/quote]

In my .270W I shot the 130gn SST for several years. My rifle is a Sako AV LH with 24 inch True Flite barrel, 1:10 twist. 400 yd shots were quite doable. My load was:
Case: Norma
Powder: IMR 4831
Charge: 57 gns
Primer: Federal 210
Projectile: Hornady SST 130 gn
COAL: 85.75 mm
Av. Velocity: 3000 fps

I started loading 130 gn Interbonds some time later and they shot better and faster. In these I used AR2213sc ( H4831 ) 59.60 gns for 3130 fps in the same rifle.
If you have it I suggest trying H4831 with the 130 gn SSTs. It's a great powder for 130 gn weight bullets in the .270W

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used H4831 for my rifles until I bought a 7mm-08. At the time a few years ago before the crunch I just bought the Hornaday Whitetail loads. Cheap and all shot great in 5 different rifles.
Now I use H414/760 for the 7mm-08 rifle with good results.

Maybe I did not load hot enough for the 130 SST?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always used the Hornady 140 InterLock boattail with 55.0 gr. of IMR4350, WLR primers @ 3.335" OAL. Don't know if it would be safe in your rifle, but printed consistent 3/4 to 1 inch groups in my 24" barreled Mauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray My big game load for my 270 for 50 years now has been Rem brass, CCI Magnum primers, 150g Partition and 58.5g of H4831. It gives me just over 3000 fps out of my BDLs 22" barrel. Anyone who wants to try this load please work up 1/2 g at a time. I also neck size only, but before going hunting run all of the cartridges through the rifle. This load has produced less than 1/2" groups in our two 270s (one is a LH BDL) for my oldest son.

I used H4831 quite a bit reloading both .270 and .257. It seemed to shoot as well as I could.

Posts: 15802 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My load for the 130 SST is 59.3 of H4831 SC
Fed brass
Large rifle primers
Shoots sub-moa

Hard on Texas Whitetails!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The H4831 is a marriage made in Heaven in the 270 and 30-06 no pressure, high velocity, and accurate! Plus you can.t load enough powder in that case to create a problem short of it forcing the seated out a bit over night causing feeding problems.

Its downfall for me is its grain cutting and hard to toss loads in the powder measure. Therefore its a good idea to weigh every load, and I abhor that.

I found RL-22, (H414 WW760) and RL-19 to work just as well and meter beautifully and to the spot with each toss..at a loose of about 100 fps or less, thats nada importanti.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The H4831 is a marriage made in Heaven in the 270 and 30-06 no pressure, high velocity, and accurate! Plus you can.t load enough powder in that case to create a problem short of it forcing the seated out a bit over night causing feeding problems.

Its downfall for me is its grain cutting and hard to toss loads in the powder measure. Therefore its a good idea to weigh every load, and I abhor that.

I found RL-22, (H414 WW760) and RL-19 to work just as well and meter beautifully and to the spot with each toss..at a loose of about 100 fps or less, thats nada importanti.

I agree I have used 4831 for years in my 270 and 06 loads the only difference is I switched to H4831SC. SC stands for Short Cut so that it meters better with much less grain cutting. IMO it is the best powder for a 270.

Posts: 480 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Belding&Mull powder measure--will meter any powder I tried and they are accurate--slow and ugly but consistent.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
When I work up loads for any given rifle I load up a couple of rounds each with my chosen powder starting a few grains less than book maximum (I follow Sierra loadings), increasing the powder charge 1/2 grain until a grain or a bit over the book maximum. I then shoot from low to high to determine the maximum powder charge for the bullet and powder for that rifle based on primer flattening, bolt lift, velocity etc.
I have been loading for around 6 decades now so have a pretty good feel for what is working and what is not. Once I've determined where my acceptable maximum is I then load up at that level and check for accuracy, fine tuning to achieve what I want for hunting accuracy.

AR2208 (Varget) for 7mm-08 and AR2213SC (H4831SC) for the 270 are best I've found.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
Certainly, H4831 is the "classic" powder for the .270 Win., given its endorsement by Jack O’Connor and its long history of successful use. Other powders in the same approximate burn rate range will work well too--Alliant Re22, Re23, Norma MRP, Vihtavuori N560, IMR 7828 to name just a few. However, after working with QuickLoad lately in connection with my .270, it became clear that the one powder that will provide the highest velocities with this cartridge and any bullet weight is Alliant Re26. In my tests, no other powder came within 50-60 fps of Re26 at equivalent pressures according to QuickLoad. Now, of course, whether or not Re26 will produce acceptable accuracy must be determined for each rifle.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I used to love MRP in my 270 but it became hard to find. H4831 is always available it seems.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting accuracy - target accuracy, often an excuse for a shoddy rifle but not always, it just what suits the individual.

Im an accuracy nut for 22s or 470 doubles, but thinking back to my youth I had 20" mod 70 std weight that shot 4 inches sometimes, sometimes 6", I could walk 15 or 20 miles a day and I used it with scope sometimes and with barrel mounted irons sometimes, It was my sometimes gun..I shot many deer and antelope on the home place ranch and shot a lot of Colorado's elk at ranges both long and close..Dad said I could wiggle on as well as I could wiggle off with that gun..

the moral of this story is we don't really need a half inch gun to shoot deer and elk I suppose but I still like my guns to shoot at least an inch old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
till looking in what to do with the rifle. I would fig worn out barrel but the Nosler Part are touching dead on about 2.5 high.
I was finishing up the last of the H4831 that I had before opening up a bottle of H4831 SC.

I wonder if the old powder might have caused a problem at the end of an old container?

I was going to look at the old seating depth for the Nosler rounds to see if I might need to seat the bullet out closer to the lands?

Any other suggestions? I was going to find a box of 150 gr SP from Hornaday to see if they shot better.

Any other ideas?

The Hornaday's were Seconds but doubt that would be the problem?

Any thing else to try? I am cleaning the rifles up tomorrow since I brought them home.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth Jim, I had very bad luck with 130 Grain SST'S also. I prefer Nosler Partition 150 grain and Speer grand slams with RL26, book load. But my 270's from a group standpoint like 130 Ballistic tips, one with IMR4831, and the other with IMR4350.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a rifle is picky, then sell it and buy one thats not, can,t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear..Most good guns should shoot most loads and bullets, mine do..trade swap and buy, keep the good ones..Its a revelation! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The 130 SST and the 150 Nosler Partition have vastly different ogives.
The 130 SST has a very fast tapering ogive and the 150 Nosler partition is a gradual radius.
This difference is putting the ogive of the Nosler partition closer to the lands giving you better accuracy.
Both of those bullets will require a different seating length.
As you've said the 150 Partition is shooting to your satisfaction.
Make a dummy round of the 150 Partition record it and save that dummy round so you can come back to it when you want to repeat that seating depth.
The 130gr SST, make a dummy round for it with the bullet seated out so there is no chance of it chambering.
Light a candle and smoke the 130 SST bullet, just push the smoked dummy round into the chamber with your finger.
Use a 3/16 to 1/4 diameter wooded dowel stock down the barrel from the muzzle to push the smoked round back out.
Look at the imprint left by the lands of the rifling.
turn the seating stem down, repeating the candle smoke process as you seat the bullet deeper and deeper.
You will reach a point where the rifling imprint in the smoke from the rifling lands becomes very faint or barely visible.
At this point you are "on the lands".
Turn the seat stem an additional 1/8 turn in.
Refer to your loading manual, pick the middle load.
Load five and shoot them from a good solid repeatable rest.
I use a Caldwell rock BR with Protector front and rear bags out of PA, good enough for repetition on sporting configurations.
Some like to shoot out of the lead sled, I've never had much use for those, tried one but didn't like it as felt it effected the rifles recoil impulse too much, recoil being more of straight back impulse without the jolt at the end when the sled takes over. I've seen people at the range testing loads off rolled up jackets , ammo boxes etc. cussing and bitching about not getting the preferred result, I say come over here and try a few off my rest. They see the difference quickly.
I have a 300 Win. Mag. I built for myself 35 years ago, it's been fired many times, I've been chasing the lands on it to keep it in the ballpark from a accuracy standpoint. The throat is out to the point where to be on the lands with 180gr accubond the length no longer fits the box. The difference between between rounds that fit the box and rounds that fit the throat amounts to quite a bit in group size, 3/8 Vs
1-1/4 on 3 at a 100.
When hunt with it the 1st round which is single loaded is on the lands, I load a few of those and carry them in my pocket, the rest, shorter loads just stay in the magazine as 2nd shots if needed. The 1st shot when accurate and placed perfectly always trumps all else. It is extremely rare that I need to shoot any animal twice. I always ensure my 1st shot will be fatal or I don't shoot. I've been shooting that same rifle since the age of 22, I'm 57 now. In the field, it's my extension to 450yds. I've built rifles for myself that are 1000yrd capable but have actually found that shooting game way out there is nonsense and really is not hunting, it's shooting live targets at range and hoping you have the wind right. Collected physical data and ballistic apps work great, but the wind will turn that heart shot into a gut shot faster that you can blink a eye and then you get to chase a wounded critter all over hell and highwater, not what I call a good time.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I gave up on the Hornaday 130SST and 140 BTSP for the old Remmington 700 in 270. The rifle had a long lands but short seat, long seat they hit the paper but that was it. I wasted a lot of H4831 where in good days I could just found the old 150's that shot well.

I finally found a box of Hornaday 150gr SP That shoots almost a well as the old Nosler partitions. 57.5 gr H4831 and I can put a quarter over the group with this load. Nosler still shoot in the same hole but 1.5" higher.
Of course now that I found another load you seem to be able to find a box of Nosler 150 partations.

I had found a box of Speer 150 but they are not tack drivers but I will seat closer to the throat and see what they will do.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Stay safe. JimD

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington in 270. couldn't find much of anything that would shoot better than a 3" group.
In 2005 I got a Winchester model 70 and never looked back. I used H4831 in it for years and about 4 yrs ago I could not find any H4831SC powder. I tried a few different powders, and they were just ok.
I tried H100V and groups were outstanding 140gr Hornady BTSP. cci Br2 primers velocity 2995.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
I have a Remington in 270. couldn't find much of anything that would shoot better than a 3" group.
In 2005 I got a Winchester model 70 and never looked back. I used H4831 in it for years and about 4 yrs ago I could not find any H4831SC powder. I tried a few different powders, and they were just ok.
I tried H100V and groups were outstanding 140gr Hornady BTSP. cci Br2 primers velocity 2995.

Same experience only different lol. I traded in my tried and true BDL in 243 Win when I moved to Montana for a Ruger M77 in 270. Wouldn't shoot better than 2". I trade that in (at a loss of course) and bought another BDL in 270 Win. It has shot one hole groups (nickel sized edge to edge groups) once I settled on a handload for it (150g Partitions at 3000 fps) for 40 years.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe things will get back and we can "once again" find that powders and bullets that we have always loved.

It has been trying the last few years with what you can find and shoot.

I quit worrying and bought another box of what worked and a few more pounds of H4831. Wink Smiler

I need to find a deserving soul and give them the extra powders and bullets that I tried that did not work and shoot what I have that works. At 75 I will probably never shoot what I have now.

There is a little one man gun store in Utopia Texas that if he is still alive when I make it back up in November to shoot hogs and take Big Deer pictures.

Too many of you are like me if I do not pass it on I will start in trying to make it work in that 270 again.
We all hate things that do not work well as reloaders other wise we would be like most hunters and just buy a box off the shelf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my Remington 270 sendero I use 58.5 grains of H4831. It shoots the Nosler partition and Barnes TTSX bullet really well. 130 gr bullet, both are less than inch groups at 100 yards on a bench rest.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger No. 1 in 270 Win years ago and couldn't get it to shoot 130 - 140 grain bullets at all.

Tried the 110 grain Barnes TTSX with Reloader 15 and it was magic.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try RL-17 and 6.5 StaBall in your .270s with 130 gr. Sierras----You'll be happy!

hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results in my 270 with both Hornady and Nosler bullets. However may I suggest 150 gr Speer Grand Slams? These are generally easy to find on Gunbroker, are inexpensive as premium bullets go, and have shot very well in the 4 separate 270 rifles that I have owned. have never recovered one in deer or elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 130 gr GMX, now CX is a monolithic non lead bullet that has done very well for me. They open reliably at all velocities and distances at which a 270 should be used.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I've had similar results with the 110 TSX but H4350 will bump the velocity notably.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote