THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Stainless steel barrel vs chrome moly.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless steel barrel vs chrome moly.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Is it safe to say that SS rifle barrels stay cleaner than CM barrels with the same dimensions and twist, etc.? Thank you.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
CB,
I cannot say I have ever noticed a difference in the amount of fouling between the two. Throat erosion now thats a cat of a different color.
John

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOr have I, barrels tend to be individuals, I personally like Chrome moly, because I like blue guns and wood, and locally its easier to find someone to blue Chrome moly..SS is for guns used under severe climatec conditions with plastic stocks barf Strictly my take on the subject without going into the whys and whyfores of techknowledgy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Is it safe to say that SS rifle barrels stay cleaner than CM barrels with the same dimensions and twist, etc.? Thank you.

Yes, its been my experience that match grade barrels on the most accurate equipment on earth, stainless barrels have a significant advantage when it comes to cleaning.

However for the majority of my rifles, its a non-issue since most rifles are not capable of showing the difference, assuming we are talking about quality, custom barrels that are properly lapped for both stainless and moly barrels.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

BY cleaner if you mean rust yes other dirt no different.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Gundog
More comments on the throat erosion?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throat erosion is caused by abuse for the most part, proper cleaning and proper fireing with time to cool slows the process down greatly..I have a special varmint rifle that Ive babied to death that still shoots tiny groups after 3000 plus rounds, I't shoots so good I have never allowed it to get too hot, warm is time to switch if your intent on proving a point or preserving that special barrel..

I just shoot them the way I want to, and when they erode I toss the barrel and stick another on, usually around 2000 rounds, SS or chrome moly. Perhaps the SS will last longer, but not enough make any difference to me.. I don't want or need to know, makes life simpler..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Krieger Barrels and Bartlein Barrels, two of the top makers of Palma and F-class barrels, have previously stated that there should be negligible differences in the efforts of maintenance between stainless steel and chrome moly barrels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't think we can compare match barrels with normal barrels.

In normal hunting, factory rifles, I have seen so much variations in the quality, and ease of cleaning.

Immaterial whether they are stainless or not, some barrels seem to get dirty very quickly, and very hard to get cleaned.

Others seem to be the opposite.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66755 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Not worth the switch to SS. Check.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle barrels are a gamble..but todays barrels are pretty damn good..I like Lothar Walther because they all tend to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 groups, so Im good with that..They are really popular down this way...Lots of good barrel makers in the USA..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120