I own the 338 RUM. It will not shoot the Nosler

bullets streight. What happens is I get it

sighted in then it will put the next round

about about 8" to 10" out. Anyone else have

this problem?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DId you check everything else, bedding, scope, mounts and rings. It sounds like something more serious than it just not liking a particular brand of bullet to me.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better have a gunsmith check your stock,A cracked stock will do that,been there before with a 338......good luck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jro45 My Sendero in 338 rum doesn't group the 250 partitions very well either. It does group the 250 Sierra very well and the 225 TSX very well.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
DId you check everything else, bedding, scope, mounts and rings. It sounds like something more serious than it just not liking a particular brand of bullet to me.

I have to agree with The Bear, sounds like more of an issue than not liking a particular bullet. Does it shoot other bullets into good groups? If so than MAYBE it's the bullet--It sounds like action screw loose to me--if you KNOW your stock isn't cracked!

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Shipster
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a scope problem.

Steve

Only Accurate rifles are interesting.

Posts: 13 | Location: OREGON | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ shipster that Ultra Mag is tough on scopes. My buddies .300 RUM has one under its belt. It was a variable Leupy. I would check the mounts out first though.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jro45,snowman,have no fear I am here! The 338 RUM won't group anything well because only Remington makes cases for it.I don't know if Federal makes ammo for this cartridge.If they do rhen you could buy ammo and use the cases for reloading.I think that should fix the problem.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
What grain noslers aren't shooting? What is shooting well? The RUM isn't much harder on scopes than the 340 Wby, or the 378 based cases. 8"-10" is also out of adjustment for most scopes at 100 yds. If I was a betting man, I would look at flinching, scope mounts, action screws, bullet seating depth, and bullet contact with the muzzle brake.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 338ultra
posted Hide Post
there is really something wrong in the set up i shott the 225 Triple shoch and the stock remington bullet. The shoot very well. I extremley pleased with mine very accurate. Have sub minute rounds at a 100yds. ckoser to the siz of a dime shooting from the bench. I have a swarsoki on the remington 700 laminated stock version in Stainless steel. I've taken a Woodland Caribou at 375 yard and a moose at 200 and bear and some deer with it i reeally like it. If you would like some reloading recipe let me know, send PM

Nothing beats a well placed shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway If remington cases are the problem why does my rifle suddenly shoot under 1 in groups at 200 yards using 250 gr sierra bullets or 210 gr TSX???? I don't think so my friend.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
jro45,snowman,have no fear I am here! The 338 RUM won't group anything well because only Remington makes cases for it.I don't know if Federal makes ammo for this cartridge.If they do rhen you could buy ammo and use the cases for reloading.I think that should fix the problem.

Evidently Nosler regard the 338 RUM as so inherently accurate they use it to test their bullets in that calibre bewildered

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote