THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Can Parallax Greatly Affect POI at Various Ranges

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Parallax Greatly Affect POI at Various Ranges
 Login/Join

posted
My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight chambered in 300 Weatherby was a tack driver and with the very same load as I regularly shot .5 inch groups with at 100 yards recently shot as follows.

100 yards, great .5 inch group 3 inches high. I could cover the 6 shot group witha quarter.

I cleaned the barrel and went down to 300 yards. I adjusted the side paralax from 100 to 300 to accomdate the yardage change. I en started hitting 7-8 inches high where I then had to re sight in to be dead on at 100.

I went out again today adjusted paralax to 100 and from a clean barrel I was 3.5 inches high at 100 with sub par groups. I took it out to 300 adjsuted paralax to 300 yard setting and then shot 5 inches low at 300 where the previous day at the range I was dead on at 300 yards.

Have you ever heard of adjusting the parallax and it greatly affecting the point of impact at various ranges? I think something is messed up with my scope and this is the only variable I can think of besides shooting with swivel bipods.

What are your guys' thoughts on swivel bipods, my dad thinks it is the swivel bipods throwing everything off. I think it is something to do with my scope. It is a Zeis 4.5-14x44mm conquest never been biumped ever...

Thanks for your thoughts

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
From Opticstalk
quote:
Parallax
Parallax is essentially an optical illusion. Parallax presents itself as the apparent movement of the reticle, in relation to the target, when your eye moves off center of the sight picture (exit pupil) or in more extreme cases it appears as an out of focus image. It indicates that the scope is either out of focus or more specifically the image of the target is not occurring on the same focal plane as the reticle. Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the sight picture (exit pupil). Even when parallax is adjusted for a designated distance, there is an inadvertent error at other distances. Most brands of scopes that do not have a parallax adjustment are pre-set at the factory to be parallax free at or around 100 yards; rim fire and shotgun scopes are set at or around 50 yards. Most scopes of 11x or more have a parallax adjustment because parallax worsens at higher magnifications. Generally speaking parallax adjustment is not required for hunting situations and is primarily a feature used and desired by target shooters. A 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards. At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch. It is also good to remember that, as long you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation.

opticstalk

So no.

If the rifle is synthetic stocked and the barrel free floated. You can bear down on the rifle hard enough to squeeze the free float shut. That will cause the rifle to shoot quite goofy.

Try shooting off the bags, see if the problem disappears. If it does get the forearm reinforced before using the bipods again.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FC
With the rifle supported by the mag area of the stock, look at the gap between the barrel and stock with the bipod hanging free. Than look at the gap with the rifle supported by the pod only, and finaly (just for grins) turn it over so that the pod is above the barrel.
If the gap changes, it's in the stock.

BTW, the ranges listed on the paralax adjustment ring are only guides, not carved in rock. The rear focus ring is used to focus your eye onto the crosshair (period), the front focus ring (paralax adjustment) is used to focus the target onto the crosshair. "Paralax" occurs when the 2 images don't meet exactly on the crosshair.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You can see the parallax in a given scope if, as you are looking through the scope at a target with the rifle firmly planted in a set of sandbags and move your eye around in relation to the ocular lense (w/o touching or moving the gun) the reticle appears to move against the image of the target.

However much that movement appears to be is the amount by which parallax can add to the size of the group.

If parallax is present, you can try to minimize its effect by keeping your eye centered in the exit pupil that appears on the ocular lens surface. This is for a scope that does not have an adjustable objective by means of which you can get rid of the parallax for the range at which you are going to shoot.

Low magnification scopes which lack adjustable objectives are supposed to be adjusted by the factory to be parallax-free from some given minimum range all the way to infinity. For HP rifle scopes, this is usually from 75 or 100 yards to infinity; for a rimfire or shotgun scope, this range is from 25 yds-infinity or from 50 yds-infinity.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think something is messed up with my scope

I would put an other scope on the rifle, see what happens.

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parallax is pretty much a non-problem if you keep your eye centered in the ocular for every shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dmb

That is true, but pretty hard to accomplish from various field positions. It will have a noticeable affect on groups, especially with a very accurate varmint rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that scopes without paralax adjustments are factory adjusted to be paralax free at a single distance. If they were paralax free from that point to infinity, there would be no need for a paralax adjustment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off,..stop cleaning so much. Your clean bore is contributing to the eratic/inconsistent groups from trip to trip. Clean only when fouled.

Next,..parallax adj are, as stated, only a close guess. Try this

Put the rifle in the bags and have it looking at the target. Have someone apply pressure, or yourself to keep the rifle from moving AT ALL. Now, adjust the parallax until when you move your eye back and forth behind the scope without touching the rifle, the crosshairs DO NOT MOVE back and forth as you move back and forth. If the crosshairs move as you move,..your lenses are not straight.

FWIW, I rarely find the parallax setting to coincide with the absolute clearest sight picture. Often the angle of the light on the lense will not allow this. Go with the better parallax setting rather than the clearest picture.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
1st, lets tackle the swivel bipods, they don't affect accuracy all that much. tighten the adjustment so it doesn't flop around like a fish though.

Sounds like you may have a problem with your scope or mounts. Paralax shouldn't affect the POI that much. Also, it should be consistent. Try to watch how many shots per string you put through your ultralight barrel. Two at a time is plenty hot for a 300wby.

Before you send the scope back though, video tape yourself shooting the rifle, it will help eliminate shooting errors as the cause of inconsistency.

John

quote:
Originally posted by FullCurlHunter:
My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight chambered in 300 Weatherby was a tack driver and with the very same load as I regularly shot .5 inch groups with at 100 yards recently shot as follows.

100 yards, great .5 inch group 3 inches high. I could cover the 6 shot group witha quarter.

I cleaned the barrel and went down to 300 yards. I adjusted the side paralax from 100 to 300 to accomdate the yardage change. I en started hitting 7-8 inches high where I then had to re sight in to be dead on at 100.

I went out again today adjusted paralax to 100 and from a clean barrel I was 3.5 inches high at 100 with sub par groups. I took it out to 300 adjsuted paralax to 300 yard setting and then shot 5 inches low at 300 where the previous day at the range I was dead on at 300 yards.

Have you ever heard of adjusting the parallax and it greatly affecting the point of impact at various ranges? I think something is messed up with my scope and this is the only variable I can think of besides shooting with swivel bipods.

What are your guys' thoughts on swivel bipods, my dad thinks it is the swivel bipods throwing everything off. I think it is something to do with my scope. It is a Zeis 4.5-14x44mm conquest never been biumped ever...

Thanks for your thoughts

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that scopes without paralax adjustments are factory adjusted to be paralax free at a single distance. If they were paralax free from that point to infinity, there would be no need for a paralax adjustment.

stillbeman, you are technically correct, in that NO SCOPE can be totally parallax-free at more than one specific point. However, generally speaking, a scope of 6X or less can be set parallax-free at a range like 75 or 100 yards, and any parallax encountered beyond that distance is too small to make a practical difference in hitting the vital area of a big-game animal at distances greater than that for which the scope was set....

You can test this for yourself by looking for reticle movement in low powered scopes on targets at ranges like 200 yards and beyond.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote