THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    CEB .30 cal on African plains game?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CEB .30 cal on African plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Morning, all.

Continuing planning for plains game this fall. Primary rifle will be a 300 win mag. I've played with both TTSX's in 165 and 180gr, as well as A-Frames in 180 and 200gr, all resulting in more than acceptable groups. Has anyone worked with and/or used any of CEB's offerings in a 30 cal on plains game?

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three of us took 18 animals including 2 Eland, 3 Kudu, 3 Gemsbok, 3 Wildebeast, and other smaller creatures using 7 mag and 30-06. No problem.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lawdog. Which bullet model and weight did you use?

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used factory loads supplied by our PH. They were of African manufacture. I do not recall the brand but the 06 was a 180 grain bonded bullet. The 7 mag 165 grain bonded. If you are taking your ammo any of the premium bullet loads that shoot well in your Rifle will be fine. Take your time don’t over think it put it in the right place. Pick up a copy of The Perfect Shot by Dr. Kevin Robertson and study the anatomy of the animals on your list. Very well illustrated. Our PH had a small paper back copy but I was never able to find one for myself.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Nosler partition 200 gr. at 2700 FPS plus a little and later used the 200 gr accubonds in my 30-06 for years, never a problem, also used Woodleighs, GS Customs, A frames, most all bullets at one time or another..Today most all the bullets are good, but I shy away from the newbie bullets and use a wait and see approach, some of the claims astound me, with their attempt to baffle us with BS..I have not used CEB, but understand the concept, school is out on them for now, at least for me..BTW the 180 gr. Rem corelokt and WW Power Points are still great bullets, always have been...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have used the CEB in a 30 06 for plains game.
I have shot a few gemsbuck, impala, warthog.
I would say that they are a little light for caliber.
Personally i like a heavier bullet for the larger game, but they worked just as advertised.
I do like the TSX on heavier game(gemsbuck)

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
While I can't provide any data on .30 caliber CEBs, I can speak to their performance in .277, .284 and .375 calibers.

The She-Wolf and I took CEBs exclusively to Zambia a few years ago. With her old reliable .270 and 110 grain Raptors she took Kafue lechwe, puku, reedbuck, Lichtenstein's hartebeest and impala...all with a single round apiece. I took my buffalo that trip with a single CEB as well.

Jane has since dropped whitetail and elk with the same .277/110 combo.

I'm usually a fan of heavy bullets weights for any given caliber, but the CEBS we've used have performed like they're MUCH heavier than they are. In fact, I've yet to recover one...they've ALL exited!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used CEB on cape buffalo.
1. Killed two with 300gr CEB solid in 375HH. perfect one shot performance. Buffs ran 30 yds.
2. Killed three buffalo with 410 gr CEB Raptors .500-110 at 40 yds. All dead right there with centre shoulder shots.

My Grandson killed one Blesbok at 120 yds with mild load (2300fps.) 30-30 load, 100gr CEB Raptor. centre shoulder shot, 4 jumps and it fell over. Also killed one blu wildebeest with same loads 100yds, poor shoulder shot, slow kill. (100gr 30-30 Raptor at 2300fps is obviously pretty minimal for wildebeest unless you get a good heart or lung shot)

I am true believer in CEB Solids and Raptors from my experience and the first hand report of seasoned hunters who have used them.
But as Ray and other said, there are other good bullets for plains game. I like Swift as well.

I would recommend for 30-06 and 300WM on Plans Game, CEB Raptor 130 grain at 3100+ fps and 150gr CEB Raptors at 2900+ fps. Awesome tissue damage for quick kills. ( Just imagine that 300WM driving the 150gr Raptor at 3400 fps!)

I have used GS custom bullets in 30-06 and 7x64, at standard velocities. They did not work reliably. They do work in larger calibers like 375.

Good hunting and enjoy the country! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote