New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x64 vs 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm building a rifle based on the Charles Daly standard length action. I was planning on building it in 458 Win Mag, until recently....
I shot my brothers 375 H&H the other day and I must say, I think I've fallen in love!! Needless to say I've been thinking about it ALOT, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the pros and cons of either the 375 or the 9.3. Do they differ much in performance? Is the 9.3 hard to find components for? (ammo, brass, dies ect.) I'm located in the U.S. and may never get the chance to go anywhere else to hunt D.G. I've heard that the 375 may be more versatile than the 9.3. does this make sense? Thanks for any help!!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You will need to remove a lot of metal from the feed ramp on the Daly as well as open up the front of the box for 375. It has been done for years in the various FN, MKX etc.The 9.3 is a drop in. Go to Midway or Grafs they have all the componets you would need.

OOPS Frowner Just read your post again. The 9.3X64 brass can be hard to come by. In your Daly action the easy way to go would be 9.x62 if it is an 06 action or a 375 Ruger if magnum.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I consider the 9.3x64 more versatile than the 375H&H as it has a flatter trajectory for US game but only if you hand load.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
You will need to remove a lot of metal from the feed ramp on the Daly as well as open up the front of the box for 375. It has been done for years in the various FN, MKX etc.The 9.3 is a drop in. Go to Midway or Grafs they have all the componets you would need.

x2

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

You've already received some good advice from the fellows above.....

You asked about the .375H&H vs. the 9.3x62 so I won't even start to address the .458 Win. Mag. nor the 9.3x64 here.

I've both a .375H&H and a 9.3x62 so perhaps my expereince will assist in in helping you make a decision for your Charles Daly action.

The .375H&H is a great cartridge - period. I personally wouldn't consider going through all the metalwork with your Charles Daly action; you'd be much better off obtaining a purpose built "Magnum" length action to accomodate the .375H&H cartridge and there are a number of good, solid options such as the CZ's on the market today, too.

I took a .30/06 Sprg. Charels Daly action and had it re-barreld into a 9.3x62 - love it. A lighter, trimmer, handier rifle compared to the Winchester Model 70 .375H&H with a WHOLE lot of performance.

To me it's sorta like comparing apples & oranges though - each rifle has it's own purpose in my battery. Anyway, when I picked up the 9.3x62 from the German Riflesmith who re-barreled it for me I asked him about tweaking the action, feeding, reliability etc. he said he had actually had to do almost nothing to the action other than polishing a coupla bits & pieces. It's worked fantastically ever since that day and that with pretty much nothing more than a new barrel.

The choice for your Charles Daly action would be quite obvious to me and 9.3x62 componemts in the States aren't an overwhelming obstacle in today's age either. You may not find the ammunition on every backwoods store shelf but the Mail Order Discounters and Specialty Distributors have that angle covered.

Just do it - the 9.3x62 option I mean - without a second thought - you'll Love it! A re-barrel, set RCBS Dies, a can of of Medium rated buring powder and a coupla Boxes of bullets and you'll be in 9.3 Heaven!

Good Luck with your project!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were really asking about a 9.3x64 Brenneke, brass can be a bit of a problem I think, but the round is the forerunner of the 375 Ruger, and will do about the same thing. A very good round. The 375 Ruger, which you could also do with a few mods, would have lots of brass, and plenty of bullets from everybody.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idisagree; with 210 grain barnes x bullets, you can get 300 fps, and 290 with 235 gr bullets is possible with the 375
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I consider the 9.3x64 more versatile than the 375H&H as it has a flatter trajectory for US game but only if you hand load.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Indlovu:
Idisagree; with 210 grain barnes x bullets, you can get 300 fps, and 290 with 235 gr bullets is possible with the 375.

The RWS Ballistic chart still shows the 9.3 bullets have a far flatter trajectory, which IMO is more important than velocity.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idisagree; with 210 grain barnes x bullets, you can get 300 fps, and 290 with 235 gr bullets is possible with the 375

I assume that is 3000 & 2900. For those bullets and velocities the 6x64 does have a 9yd gain in point blank range. Looking at the 250&260 they are equal and heavier the 375 pulls away.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I faced the same dilemma, and I split the difference (and this was years ago): I built a wildcat 375 using the 9.3X64 case (same velocity as the 375 H&H, in a smaller cartridge).

If you like the 9.3X64, don't worry about getting ammo (I assume you handload)....once you buy 100 cases you are set for life. My RWS cases last 10 loadings or more with no problems.

On the other hand, the 375 Ruger does anything the 375 H&H does, but in a cartridge about the same size as the 9.3X64.

My Mauser action was originally for a 30-06, and I bet it didn't take my gunsmith more than 2 hours to make the 9.3X64 cases feed as slick as goose grease.

Like everyone else has mentioned, getting the 375 H&H to feed in a standard Mauser action requires some effort by a gunsmith. Of course, it's a classic like no other cartridge, so how much is nostalgia worth to you? (For somethings it's worth a lot of money to me)

You can't go wrong with either choice...it's a gun after all, and you can't have too many.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with you on possibly not modifying the standard length action to fit the 375, it would just be easier to have the 9.3 on the Charles Daly.....Looks like I need to start working a lot of overtime to have both!! banana

All I needed was the slightest excuse!!

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......If a standard length magnum action the 375 Ruger or 9.3 x64 Brenneke ,.,I have had alot of 375 H&H,s and the 9.3x64 B I had built is better for me and my needs...and the bullet diameter is only 9 thou less than the 375 ... But the 250 gr TSX is very much at home in it and 68.5 gr RL 15 will push it 2750 fps chronographed from its 21 1/2 " barrel...I don,t need or want a lighter bullet in a medium bore , which I consider the 375 to be also , as it is in the class with the 338 win and 358 Norma ..and the 9.3,s If a Standard length standard cartridge size action the 9.3x62 will fit but the 9.3x64 can be made up in it also ..The 64 gives 150 fps more velocity than the 62...I have one of each and will be turning my 62 into a 64... popcorn

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot,

You bring up some good points about the 9.3X64.
It can replace (if you want it to, that is) both the 375 H&H, and the 338 Win Magnum.

I necked mine up to .375 not because I thought that a minimally bigger hole was better, but because (years ago) I had a vastly larger array of bullet choices. I even use mine (currently) to hunt whitetail, just because the results are so definitive.

If I had the experiment to do over, my rifle would either be a 9.3X64 proper, OR a Ruger 375.
But, I couldn't forsee the Ruger cartridge on the horizon (although by coincidence I did have Hornaday make some custom dies for this wildcat).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.........N Garrett,., I had thot of that quite a while ago ..but decided the 375 Taylor was the way I would go ,If I went there...Instead I had a 458 built as it was more comforting ....It has killed ALOT of Sitka blacktails also..Now I,m not spending all my time in the Southeast jungle and so these medium bore projects are funner..plus I can afford it better now ...So many rifles ,,soooo little time ...I would really like to make up a 358 Norma ....I,m very happy with my 9.3x64 ,,I think if you put any standard velocity guy 40 feet from a chargeing 800 lb brown bear in the average southeast fuckleberry patch and offered him his slow 286 gr bullet or the same gun with 150 fps more velocity ....Probably 95 % of them would grab it so quick it wiuld break your hand....For all thier just playing , tho a 9.3x62 will do well to asauge their vanity......if getting bit or stomped is on the line ,,that Dr Pepper commercial holds true ...more ,more ,more...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
......,more...

Well the 9,3x64 Brenneke is one of the best cartridges ever made!

When you have one there is no need for an 9,3x62 or 375 Ruger or H&H.

No belt good feeding in standard rifle systems power lime the 375H&H and you can load it down to 9,3x62...