THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    30-06 Carbine & Hog Hammer loads

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Carbine & Hog Hammer loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Picked up a supply of Remington Hog Hammer loads. Should be about ideal for hunting with my 30-06 Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine. 168gr TSX BT, 0.404 bc & 2790 fps claimed muzzle speed (24" barrel).

Chronographed at ~2750 fps (20" barrel). Only 40 fps muzzle speed loss & groups ~1.5" at 100 yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive velocity out of the 20” barrel. That bullet should work well on most any critter.
Those results were very interesting to me. I recently picked up a Ruger Guide rifle without the threads and muzzle brake. It has about a 19-1/2” barrel. I was guessing and would be satisfied with 2650 FPS or so with 165/168 TSX & TTSX hand-loads.
So 2700 FPS may not be out of the question with this. I replaced the factory stock, need to have it bedded, and several other projects ahead of it. So probably going to be awhile before I find out how it actually shoots.
Thanks for the report.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Checked Sako Hammerhead 220gr ammo muzzle speed and accuracy. Chronographed about 60 fps faster than 2362 fps claimed muzzle speed (barrel length not listed) and POI couple inches lower at 100 yds compared to Hog Hammers. Could use either 220gr might have the edge on bigger critters.

My 18 inch 06 scout rifle give apox. the same velocity with my 220gr handloads.

It kills hogs, deer, bear and assorted smaller stuff just fine.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends of how far out you can place them into the kill zone.

If you miss with either one they have no terminal performance.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any decent bullet of 125 grs out of an 06 and over will kill any fat hog, they just are not sherman tanks as some seem to insist, the armour sheild is alleged to stop a bullet..More hogs are killed with varmint rifle in texas than with anything else..My 222 will penetrate that shield..The 06 is ideal.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure 4sixteen will clarify. But, I did not take it as these were loads with specifically hogs in mind.
I would consider the 168 grain TSX as a good bullet for anything that I would intend on shooting with a 30-06. I am pretty sure it would work quite well lots of critters. My renewed interest in the 30-06 has me pondering using either the 165 / 168 grain TSX or TTSX for one load. Provided they shoot well in my rifle.
Edit to add:
Hog load, deer load, bear load, zombie load = the marvel of modern marketing

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree, great bullet and cool packaging.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 06 will do its job with about any controlled expansion bullet or weight bullet for that matter..I have used 150, 165, 180 and 200 in various 30-06 rifles Ive owned, using the bullet that suits me best for the animal intended..If I had to pick one that I feel worked best on anything it would be the 200 gr. Nosler Accubond...But one must keep in mind there really isn't such a thing as a wonder do it all bullet or they are all wonder bullets, in the 30-06 most contend the 180 wins I suspect..A 165 gr. monolithic would be a great choice..Im not all that sold on Barnes bullets, but thats just me, lots of folks are..One of the best bullets Ive used is the cup and core WW power point, I have a bucket full of recovered perfect mushrooms with that bullet, same luck with rem corelokts..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote