New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Rigby v 350 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking at ammo available through Superior. I noticed Superior listed ammo for both the 35 Rigby and 350 Rigby.

Are these two different cartridges? What would be the difference?

My Bulgaria mounts are suppose to be here tomorrow.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure either. Do you have a copy of COTW? It would most likely say. I have a copy If you don't + can look it up.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not. I was thinking, but just guessing, the 35 Rigby maybe a rimmed version of the 350 Rigby.

The 35 Rigby appears to be a different cartidge from the 350Rigby No 2. At least, the catalog list ammo for all three.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have never seen any of the 350 Rigby's referred to as a 35 Rigby in any publication of authority. Sounds like someone just shortcutted the name. I have seen more than a few doubles and bolts from Rigby over the years and never once was it engraved 35 Rigby.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is the exception that proves the rule.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I know is the catalog list two cartridges are listed in the catalog as 35 Rigby and 350 Rigby Rimless Magnum.

That posit of the double rifle and 24 hour post implies a different cartridge being the 35 Rigby. Maybe based on 348 Winchester brass.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
thirdbite, Please give us more info on the rifle and pictures, please.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not find any reference to a 35 Rigby but the 350 Rigby AKA 350 rimless magnum was designed by J. Rigby in 1908 + is comparable to the 35 Whelen. They also made a rimmed version for single + dbl. rifles. Referenced by COTW 4th ed. P. 233.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Maybe that was a California Rigby invention.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Well, that explains that. And just buying the name for a while, gives them no credibility.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading everything posted this is what I think.

I think the 35 Rigby was a California Rigby case that sought to deliver 350 Rigby ballistics from a rimmed case.

Instead of building rifles and sourcing 350 N02 brass which was probably not practical for them at the time. Cal Rigby had a chamber and case built from 348 Winchester brass necked ever so slightly to 358 with maybe some “improvement” less body taper and called it:

35 Rigby. I would think it has to be a 250 grain bullet at 2400 to 2500 fps.

All of this is my conclusion from what has been presented.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at the possible case of redundancy; almost every 35 cal. falls into that category. (sans AI)

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The fact the Paso Robles Rigby is marked 35 Rigby but shows 348 win brass is indicative of how that whole operation was run.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Had to pull my William Evans 470 from the safe and coonfinger it after seeing that one...

There, I feel better now.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sample rifle is Gaudy. Some folks like a lot of plastic surgery type “enhancements.” This is especially true for folks in California.