Tools

ruger african 280 ai
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well the scope makes up for 2 lbs. on that gun! A smaller scope might be more pleasing?? It would for me.

Im pretty sure the barrel contour is the same on all the Africans and the .284 has less metal bored out as compared to a 338 or larger bore..

I thought the barrel profile on the sub-30 cal Africans was lighter. Don't know for sure.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well the scope makes up for 2 lbs. on that gun! A smaller scope might be more pleasing?? It would for me.

Im pretty sure the barrel contour is the same on all the Africans and the .284 has less metal bored out as compared to a 338 or larger bore..

I thought the barrel profile on the sub-30 cal Africans was lighter. Don't know for sure.

They are indeed much smaller. I own (3) Ruger Africans in 375 Ruger, and (2) each of the 275 Rigby, 6.5x55, and 9.3x62. The Ruger 375ruger African measures .673 @ the muzzle. The other three calibers above in the Lipsey's Ruger Africans measure .566 @ the muzzle.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope might make up 5 or 6 oz but I intend to use it as a deer and pronghorn alternative. Even at 9 lbs it is too heavy to walk all day in Wyoming with it on your shoulder. I can still use it in a deer stand but I have a Tikka .270, shooting less than a 3/4 inches at 100 and weighs 7 and a half lb. for an all day hike. If Africa opens up again, I guess I'll let the tracker carry it. At first blush, I got a 7/8 inch group just breaking the barrel in. The trigger needs work but it's probably gonna work for plains game.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further update on the Ruger .280ai. It loves 160 Sierras, a series with RL-19 resulted in 3 groups sub 3/4" and its really not properly broken in yet. Of course being that heavy it held pretty well off the sandbags.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine shooting Ruger African!

I already have the 275 Rigby, but this 280AI is enough faster that I will get one soon. A 160 gr. @ 3,000 fps. is enticing. I don't think Lipsey's will make one in 280 Rem.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote