Tools

ruger african 280 ai
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone played around any with the new Ruger African in 280 ai yet. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not bought one yet. I haven't seen the numbers decrease on gunbroker either. I'm guessing they are not selling well. I have the other 3 and have been very pleased. Just can't get excited about a 280AI in an Africa themed rifle.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who would have guessed a cartridge with no African or between the Wars US market based history would not sell in the blued/walnut Model 70/Mauser 98 derivative action called the African.

The 280 AI has no roots nor soul. Call me when the 35 Whelen or 318 WR is finally available, or even 348/06.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger African is a way cool looking rifle and the 280 AI is an awesome round and one of my all-time favorites BUT that seem like an odd pairing to me.

As far as the 280AI having no soul, get a f'ing grip dude. Yes, it has no African roots so I'll give you that much.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this rifle in 275 Rigby & quite like it.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By no soul I mean there is no legend, no romance, no myth (pick whatever word you like) to sell on.

The 275 Rigby and 9.3x62 Mauser have such myths that is part of the sell and attraction offered in the African.

Other cartridges with that soul:

318 WR, 333 Rimless Jeffery, 35 Whelen made famous by Keith and connection to Col. Whelen/GandH building rifles the Ruger African is similar to, 30/06 Leslie Tarlton and President Roosevelt, 8 (7.92)x57, various early rimless 6.5mm all similar to the 6.5 Swede, 9mm Mauser, and no reason not to do a 7x57 stamped barrel.

Long shot 220 Swift bc it was an original chambering of the PRE64 Winchester Model 70 which in my mind is what this rifle recreates stylistically.

I doubt they would do the 303 bc of the rim. Likewise, the 35 Rigby Rimless is too long for the action.

The 280 AI has no such heat. A fine cartridge, but in the wrong package.

This is kind of late as we have already had a thread on how disappointed we all were at the 280 AI selection after being promised for years now a 35 Whelen.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered why Ruger did not introduce a 300 and 338 Ruger before a 416.

Would have made for a nice line up in that rifle.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ruger scorned the 375 Ruger case and left the field open to the Nosler case.

I would have loved a 338 (full Ruger case) 35 Ruger with 275 grain loads.

Oh well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Ruger had added the 300 and 338 and also a 270 on the 375 Ruger case they would have a full line up of their calibres in their rifles.

In Australia plenty of Mark v Wby buyers do so because of the Wby calibres to go with the rifle. The 6.5/300 and 300 is a good pairing and of course the 375 Wby. Also 30/378 and the 378.

I think there would be plenty of shooters who bought a 375 Ruger and wanted a 300 Winchester and so bought a Model 70 but if Ruger had a 300 they might have bought a second Ruger rifle.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a damn 303 and I would buy it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, in answer to the OP's question, it appears no one has bought/shot one of these rifles in 280AI.

I'm still waiting for my LGS to get one in...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
So, in answer to the OP's question, it appears no one has bought/shot one of these rifles in 280AI.

I'm still waiting for my LGS to get one in...

Based on what happens in Australia, the market for a Ruger "anyhting" in 280 AI would be about 0%. More likely here to find the 280 AI on accuracy type gun, Rem 700 action, Jewell trigger etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if it's the Nosler chamber or the Ackley? I believe I have the 40deg ackley chamber on my TC custom and don't believe it chambers Nosler brass. I've never tried since they're proud of their brass and 280 brass is cheap and easy to fire form.

I would like to find one of these Africans and would love it even more if they had it in left hand.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be the chamber spec to match Nosler 280 AI brass bc that was what got submitted to SAMMI.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
I've not bought one yet. I haven't seen the numbers decrease on gunbroker either. I'm guessing they are not selling well. I have the other 3 and have been very pleased. Just can't get excited about a 280AI in an Africa themed rifle.

I can't either. Great cartridge and cool rifle. Not meant to be together (IMHO only).

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I would be excited about a 35 Whelen or a 30-06 (the '06 isn't exactly an African cartridge, but it has a long history there and is highly regarded, and the Whelen, just because I guess). Even a 338-06, which I could pretend is a 318 WR (I have a good imagination). But the 280 AI is so far removed it just doesn't work; higher pressures, no taper to the case, no African heritage for it or the parent cartridge, really. What were they thinking? Maybe they were set up to chamber the round from the small run of No.1 rifles they did in that caliber.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
I would be excited about a 35 Whelen or a 30-06 (the '06 isn't exactly an African cartridge, but it has a long history there and is highly regarded, and the Whelen, just because I guess). Even a 338-06, which I could pretend is a 318 WR (I have a good imagination). But the 280 AI is so far removed it just doesn't work; higher pressures, no taper to the case, no African heritage for it or the parent cartridge, really. What were they thinking? Maybe they were set up to chamber the round from the small run of No.1 rifles they did in that caliber.

I agree with you but pressures are what you make them.

Personally, I reckon putting the 280 AI in the Ruger African ranks right up with Weatherby when they chambered the Mark V Ultralite in 338/06. I would think that 99.99% of shooters who would spend that sort of money on a 338/06 would have something that was M70 or M98 based.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

I agree with you but pressures are what you make them.

Personally, I reckon putting the 280 AI in the Ruger African ranks right up with Weatherby when they chambered the Mark V Ultralite in 338/06. I would think that 99.99% of shooters who would spend that sort of money on a 338/06 would have something that was M70 or M98 based.

Yes, and 99% of 280 AI buyers will be handloaders. It could be as moderate as anyone wants. Just in terms of "tradition" though, the classic African rounds weren't at the top, pressure wise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe they were set up to chamber the round from the small run of No.1 rifles they did in that caliber.

This is exactly why they offered this round. Jason told me at Lipsey's, that he had a lot of requests from the people who had bought the No.1 in 280AI, for an African in the same caliber.

They were going to offer the 35 Whelen, but thought it was too close caliber wise to their last offering in 9.3x62.

Considering the above, my bet is on a 30-06 for next year, followed by the 35 Whelen in 2022.

We'll just have to wait & see... dancing

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder is these calibres, like the 338/06 in the Mark V Ultralite and of course the 280 AI in the Ruger African sell more than enough to collectors to make a profit as they would be easy to do. The 338/06 Ultralite Mark V would have been super simple and they also had 338/06 ammo and Wby type prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a risky move on Rugers part, the 280 or its clones by Remington have all been a miserable failure as will the 280 IMP in my opinion. just based on the cartridges history in its various forms..

The 7x57 still hangs on, and well it should, it has history, soul, backed by outstanding results, I have several and they are the last guns that leave my casa in the classifieds.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned rifles in both .280 Remington and 7x64. IMHO the .280 Remington (the original not anyone's improved version) is actually the better cartridge of the two.

Yet from a practical viewpoint I'd have actually thought that 7x64 was the better choice for an African rifle that might actually be used in Africa.

So I actually think it's a rifle for "wannabees" rather than practical shooters seeking a rifle in the .270 WCF to .30/06 class calibre for African use.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 06 is probably the most popular rifle caliber in Africa, everyone has at least one, and then there was Teddy R who used it in Africa, its an African caliber, in fact it a world caliber, and you can pick up a box of shells in any country in the world..The 35s have not sold well in the USA, much to the grief of the Whelen fans, but facts or facs its been a disaster..A great caliber but always a brides maid..same for the 280.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Shoulda done an 8x57

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If they wanted a fast 7mm shoulda picked the 280 Ross. At least there’s an African connection.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
If they wanted a fast 7mm shoulda picked the 280 Ross. At least there’s an African connection.

The 280 Ross gives me a nostalgia boner.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked Lipsey's website and the only exclusive Ruger rifle that is on sale is the African 280AI. I laughed when I saw that.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 275 Holland and Holland SAMMI cartridge?

If so, that one. I doubt the would because it uses slightly larger bullet than .284. Otherwise, yes, 280 Ross.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

The 280 Ross gives me a nostalgia boner.

He he...you’re welcome

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They would sell 50-100 here if it was in .404.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
7X64 .. and stainless .. i would have bought 2

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like a remake of the 223. I missed them when they were first out.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
7X64 .. and stainless .. i would have bought 2

Ruger did a run of 7x64 Berneke back in the 80s.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
They would sell 50-100 here if it was in .404.

That would be very nice!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What we prefer on AR and what the general public wants is worlds apart!! and the bean counter are counting..

Libskys and Hollowell are pretty close to flooding the market with those great hard to come by guns, where will they go from here?

Id love a 404 and my African day are over I suspect. The INtenationals always interest me and I have a couple of ruger #1s from Lipskys or Hollowell..a .338 African, and a rJ Renner in 7x57 on a Ruger light weight, that's my all time favorite..CAn't wait to see what they come up with next..Ive made good money buying those specials where in only 250 are made, when bought out the prices go sky high..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a .280 Ross in the ONLY version of the rifle worth a damn...the 1907 Highland Stalker Model. And, yes, it was an "African" rifle as it had a ladder sight out to 1,000 yards as well as stand and fold leaves to 200 yards and...I think..300 yards. I came 3rd Place at Bisley UK in "Historic Rifle Running Deer" once upon a time.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Ruger AFrican in .280AI today. I haven't got it to the range yet but my one comment so far is it is heavy--9 lbs 3 oz with a Leupold Vari-X3i 3.5 to 10. I will shoot it sunday and see whether it is worth my time. I really need to get the trigger worked on as it must 6 lbs or so.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised it’s that heavy. Hope it shoots well for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe thing abundantly apparent is the general public buying squad has never been on AR!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the scope makes up for 2 lbs. on that gun! A smaller scope might be more pleasing?? It would for me.

Im pretty sure the barrel contour is the same on all the Africans and the .284 has less metal bored out as compared to a 338 or larger bore..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120