THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    257 Wby Mark V replacement stock

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Wby Mark V replacement stock
 Login/Join

posted
Bell and Carson tells me they do not make stocks to fit a #1 contour barrel. I like Bell and Carson stocks and have one on my 7mm Mag. Is there a comparable stock maker of synthetic stocks? In a pinch I would consider a laminated stock but prefer the looks, feel, bedding and of course price of the Carson. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel as issued from Weatherby? If so it should fit.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is a factory barrel. Rifle was purchased in the 80's and made in Japan. What size stock would it fit? A #2? I was surprized when they e-mailed back saying they don't make a #1. I measured it from the crown if that makes a difference.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I would call and talk to them.

I have a .257 Wby deluxe but it's in a wood stock and yes Weatherby barrels are pretty skinny. I don't know know how their barrel size lines up with other manufacturers. That's why it best to talk with a live person.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will call them Monday. Mine is also a delux but I want a synthectic with a full lengh bedding block.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have a B&C stock on a relatively new Winchester model 70 Sporter in .300 Win. It also has a pretty skinny barrel but the stock fits perfectly.

My as issued Weatherby Accumark .300 Wby came with one. B&C make nice stocks at a decent price, I like them a lot. I'm sure they will fix up.

Good luck. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

posted Hide Post
That is encouraging. I did not get to call B&C today but will try tomorrow as I have been super busy. However I am hearing from several individuals that they have been able aquire a B&C stock that wiil take the pencil barrels.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Since it is a deluxe it will undoubtably fit.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
#1 contour barrel was on the Weatherby Mark V ULW or Ultralight

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the McMillan Express stocks. I'm thinking of restocking my Japanese Mark V in 270 Weatherby with one.

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/weatherby-express/

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Have you looked at the McMillan Express stocks. I'm thinking of restocking my Japanese Mark V in 270 Weatherby with one.

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/weatherby-express/

I have looked at the McMillan stocks but could not get very excited about them. I could not find where a full lengh aluminum block is included not to mention they nicle and dime you for every feature that I feel shoud be stock. I beleive I have a Mcmillain on my 220 swift and while it is a varmit rifle its big and clumsy. I will probably pass on the Micmillian but thank you for your input.

I have a Bell and Carson stock on a Sako. It was made by a rouge employee using Bell and Carson eqipment on the side (they fired him I learned). It is a very nice stock and I would like to duplicate it for my 257. No luck reaching weatherby or Bell and Carson by phone. They must be very busy. On weatherby it does appear that I have a japanese Mark V with a #2 Contour barrel. This should work for the Bell and Carson stock and I will order as soon as I get confirmation from Weatherby. I sent a text. Next to get the right scope. Really appreaciate all the feedback.

posted Hide Post
Just received a response from Weatherby. My rifle was manufactured in 1984 and is a deluxe. It has a number #1 barrel with 1-10 twist. Made in Japan.

Called Bell and Carson and got through. They will custom make a stock for a #1 Wby barrel. Currently waiting on a follow up e-mail. In fact the guy said that someone else the previous day and just orded a stock for a Japanese made Wby with a number one contontoue barrel. Progess made.