THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    My tastes have changed from what they once where..

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My tastes have changed from what they once where..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Guns that were of interest was a
-Browning Belgium Safari Bolt Action in 7Mag for 530 dollars
-Rem Mod 700 Classic 350RM for 460 dollars
-Mod 98 in 6.5x55 restocked in green synthetic stock for 290 dollars
- One left handed rifle only reason I like it was because it was left handed. Browning A-bolt Wood/blue in 270 for 375 dollars. I don't like 270's though.
My whole point to this though is that I use to want them to be shiny, no scratches etc. etc. but things change it seems. Now I appreciate the rifles with a few scratches as I think it gives them character. The older Browning was about as interesting to me as any of the rifles were. Ok guess I am just rambling on sorry. But I didn't buy any of them as my rifle budget is broke right now.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Guns are like women...

the ones that have been around the block are cheap work well and get a lot of use.

The pretty ones cost more and rarely get used Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
My favorite ones are old well used bolt action military rifles, mostly in "Good" condition. No worries about a little scratch here and there.

It was fun one day when I was out at the range on a blustery day with an 1895 Turkish Mauser with issue sights, shooting cast bullets, grumbling because I was shooting 2.5-3" groups. A guy with a tricked out AR-15 with bull barrel and a big scope was showing me his groups that he thought were mighty good under the circumstances. They were bigger than the ancient Mauser with cast bullets was shooting.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guns are like women...

the ones that have been around the block are cheap work well and get a lot of use.

The pretty ones cost more and rarely get used

Gosh I love that statement!!! thumb

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
My taste in guns has changed and is still changing as my income allows for "upgrading". I started out 25 years ago with a 1960's Marlin 336 30-30 topped with an older Burris 4x. In high school, I upgraded to a Ruger M77 "ultralite" in 270 win. My next "upgrade" was to a custom T/C Encore in 300 WSM. Over the last few years, I have gotten back into Marlin lever guns and dabbling in Blaser R-93's and Sauer 202's.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Here's a real favorite of mine (I've got it across my lap right now):

It's a 1944 Turkish "M38" or "K. Kale," made when the Turks were frantically arming up for an anticipated entry into WWII and didn't take the time to do the fine shaping and finishing on the stocks (though the rifle actions and barrels were nice as ever.) It's got a wormy, twisted brass cleaning rod that had the threads stripped and the slotted tip broken loose. I had to cut new threads on the end and resolder the rod tip, not to mention lots of straightening. It's not my oldest, most accurate, rarest or anything like that, and it's well worn from cleaning with enough belling at the muzzle to let the bullet of a loaded round go right in to the case mouth. 5-6" groups at 100 yards are likely the best I'll ever see with milsurp service ammo, a little better with cast handloads. I paid all of $55 for it, and got it encased in a huge glob of Cosmoline. I made the sling out of a whole back of thick vegetable tanned leather I have, laced with boot laces.

I like the utilitarian looks of this well used, chunky old thing for some reason, and I am fond of it because I thought it was an unshootable mess that actually turned out pretty decent. Looked like the bore was totally worn out, with just a hint of soft ripples where the lands used to be. The muzzle wear fooled me; I didn't take the time and effort to slug such an obviously worn out bore (so I thought), but I stuck calipers in the muzzle and measured .334" across one pair of grooves and .338" across the other. After cleaning it vigorously with a bronze brush and patches soaked with Hoppe's #9 and gasoline I shot it out at the range on a couple of occasions, making patterns rather than groups. Cleaned the bore afterward, and it still looked the same. Decided I'd have to replace the barrel to make a shooter and got a spare takeoff from someone making a sporter. Had an awful time breaking the old barrel loose with an action wrench and barrel vise, after trying penetrating oil, and finally decided I'd have to do some heating. Used SAE 30 oil, which smokes at about 500°F, all over the action to keep from heating it too hot and ruining the temper, and warmed it with a propane torch till the oil started smoking. Didn't help. So I kept the action cool with a damp cloth and really put heat to the barrel. Smoke poured out the muzzle. When I started to put it back in the action wrench, I noticed there were sharp lands in the bore! It had smoked and a little debris fell out. The grooves were packed with hard Cosmoline that none of my cleaning and shooting had dislodged! Pressures must've been mighty high squeezing those Turkish bullets down to bore diameter with the grooves full of that stuff, but it held up without complaint. I cleaned the bore again and found that, while its accuracy was nothing to write home about, it was a shooter. I enjoy shooting it, accept its limitations, and I'd be perfectly happy to carry it in the woods deer hunting. (I haven't done that since about 1994, though.)

Oh, yeah: I got a beat up old M98/22 soon after this Turk. The Turk shot high and the M98/22 shot low. Swapped their sight blades and fixed 'em both!
Big Grin

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
My tastes have changed from what they once where

Mine too. I used to think Roy Weatherby's stuff was cool. Exaggerated Monte Carlos, swept line forend tips, over-curved pistol grips, roll-over cheek pieces, diamond and lightning bolt inlays, etc. Now my first reaction on seeing one of those is "UGH!! Gimme a custom-made American or German style with "classic" lines nowadays!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jarrod, That sure is a nice selection of Rifles and Cartridges you have acquired.

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
...I use to want them to be shiny, no scratches etc. etc. but things change it seems. Now I appreciate the rifles with a few scratches as I think it gives them character. ...
Excellent point.

I have a "few" scratches on a good number of mine that bring back both good and bad memories. I leave then right there to remind me of whatever caused them.

One particular one was created by a self climbing Deer Stand. Brings back a bad memory. But it will always be right there to remind me.

Also have any number of Brier Scratches which help Break-In the paint jobs on the home-grown Synthetic Stocks. Big Grin
-----

I don't tolerate "Rust" at all though. Indicator of a "Slacker" owning the firearm.

It should be getting time for you to be out Blasting some BIG ole Bucks. Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills - using rifles with Character.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Show me a bird dog that ain't got ripped up ears and I'll show you a heel hound.

Same with shotguns. My Browning humpback ain't got enough finish left on the stock to cover a bad bet but she still looks promising to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in general i think my tastes change about every 10 years, not only in guns but other things too

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is more boring than no variety in guns.
I have one I bought because it was both cheap and ugly.
I might show up at the range with a 12 lb .45-70 BPCR, a .22 Hornet bolt gun, an 8X57 Hakim autoloader, a .35 Remington pump and a 6X47 40X Reminton Frankenstein made up of parts of 3 rifles.
I am pretty much a stickler for good bores though.
A Remington made Berthier in 8MM Lebel keep calling me too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
It must be a "normal " thing as you get older, my tastes have gone from "if it not a mauser i'm not interested" to Lee Enfields are interesting and Mannlichers are damn sexy!
One thing that has'nt changed is the calibers I like , I don't think you can get past the old military calibers. Wink

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess tastes do change. I'm less interested in pretty and more interested in accuracy, weather worthiness, and slick function. Have found old Mauser actions fit that bill very nicely.

Have built several with new barrels, Timney triggers, Beuhler safeties, Weaver mounts, Fajen's composite stocks, and new wolfe striker springs. (Collectors needn't worry ... I'm using actions not tearing down complete rifles.)

Have built a 9,3x62 and a .458 AR. Have a .416 Aagaard in progress because I could trade for the barrel and dies. With a bedding job they have all shot very, very well at a quite reasonable price. Will do it again if I am able. Hoping the results will be as good.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mannlichers are damn sexy!

I just had to LOL at that one! rotflmo

Not really my preference, but whatever turns your crank!
moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, my tastes have changed too. I used to laugh at WBYs. I still have pretty much all CRF Mod. 70s, a CZ Rigby and a Browning FN 458. Just recieved my Mark V 378, its awsome. Well bedded from the factory, you can see where they put the hidden cross bolts. I know they're shunned here but I now say all the more for me. Just for the record my last 378 and my 338/378 were USA guns, both shot very well.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My tastes have changed also, or should I say my focus.

I used to want to own a bunch of different calibers in different type actions. I sold a bunch of my rifles and am now limiting myself to:
22-250
257 Roberts (2 for the boys ages 8&6)
270 Win (a couple)pretty and weatherproof
338-06 (a couple)
348 Win (which may go sometime)
9.3x64 Brenneke
416 Rigby

I am now focusing on hunting with the rifles I currently have.

But I like bolt actions in utilitarian and wood configuration. I like 700's and CZ's. I am not afraid to use any of my rifles. That's what they are for. I am not much of a rifle collector. I would just as soon collect hunting memories.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote