New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker-Hale rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A rifle built on a Mauser 98-style action I've heard of since the 1960's is the Parker-Hale. I recently came across one and am wondering who made the 98 action and what reputation for quality the Parker-Hale rifles from this period have. The example I came across has a fairly attractive walnut stock, skipline checkering, and appears to have a steel rather than aluminum floorplate. It is chambered in 7mm Rem.

I know that when Parker-Hale was making guns they were headquartered in Birmingham, England (near BSA, I think), but I can't find out how much actual manufacturing they did or if they just assembled components sourced from other manufacturers. As I understand it, the brand name is still around, but their products are limited to accessories and cleaning supplies.

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Not sure if the receivers (or barreled actions) were ever made in the UK. They were stocked in the UK (in theory).

Some actions were made in Eastern Europe.

I have owned a few of them, a 25-06 and I think a 7mm Remington Magnum.

In Germany I saw Parker Hale military sniper rifles for sale. They were also based on a 98 and in 308. But a different looking 98.

These guns were older, probably 20-30 years old when I saw them 3 years ago.

There are a lot of Parker Hale 7x64 rifles on the 2nd hand market in Germany for about $400.

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The only Parker Hale M 98 Mauser I am familiar with were Spanish made.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the earliest ones were built on military actions. Later, they used Spanish Santa Barbara actions and the few Hussar models used Brno ZG 47 action. Don't recall any using eastern European actions. At least some of the stocks were mfg by Siles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is correct = Parker Hale made rifles based on Military M98 actions restocked and with their own barrels, most well known and well regarded of these was the Parker Hale Safari model.
Later they made sporting rifles based on actions they bought from Santa Babara in Spain. Models 1100 and 1200 come to mind. These were in the '70s and '80's.

They also sold a lot of sporterised Lee Enfield .303's mostly on No.4 rifles, again with their own barrels and a sporting stock.

I have not heard of a Hussar model or seen a Parker Hale built on a ZG47, maybe they didn't import them here. We were already getting Brno rifles brought in.

Old PArker Hales are fairly common here. The Safari models on refurbished 98 actions are good rifles. The later Spanish actions from the '70's are a bit clunky.

PH made good barrels.

They had a factory in Birminghamn. From memory they went out of business due to lack of money and a legal issue in 1989.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing that the one I'm looking at was built on the Spanish Santa Barbara action. It appears to have a trigger safety on an adjustable trigger like the late FN's. Comments I've found on the Santa Barbara action say that it is pretty well-finished outside but left a bit rougher inside than the FN; and, depending on whose opinion you read, might (or might not) be a notch above the quality of the Zastava Mark X.

Have seen generally favorable comments on the Parker-Hale barrels. The stock work will speak for itself whenever I have a chance to examine it in the flesh.

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the main difference between Zastava and Santa Barbara actions, is that the Santa Barbara is cast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parker Hale, BSA, Rigby et all used a host of different actions. Many built either original or ex military M98s, P14s / P17s, as well as Enfields. As these dried up they used FN, Santa Barbara, Zastava and Brno actions. Most of latter are fitted with trigger mounted side safety’s.

In terms of actions they all vary from rough to silky smooth depending on how well they were initially put together and polished up and how many times they have been cycled. Most of them were still pretty much hand built / assembled by men in aprons and files.

Mostly Parker Hales are good solid rifles. Some will have seen very hard use, others will have a box or two of cartridges in their life time.

Accuracy is generally reasonable - certainly minute of deer, but don’t expect a modern off the shelf Tikka T3x straight out the box type accuracy - some will, others will need fettling, and some will good as a donor, and others - well stick them in the forge and make plough share or knife out of them.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
I think the earliest ones were built on military actions. Later, they used Spanish Santa Barbara actions and the few Hussar models used Brno ZG 47 action. Don't recall any using eastern European actions. At least some of the stocks were mfg by Siles.

Thirdbite has this correct. Early rifles were built on military 98 actions and were called the Safari model 1000. There was also the model 1000 C with a detachable magazine .As the military 98 action supplyran low they did indeed import Brno ZG-47 actions that were stamped Hussar. I have one of those in 308 Norma and have seen dozens in 7x57, 270 and 30-06. They then started importing Santa Barbra commercial actions and these actions were used to make the model 1100 and model 1200. The 1100 and some of the 1200 models had hindged floorplates and the 1200 C had the detachable magazine. They used the Santa Barbra action right up until they quit making rifles. I have several of these rifles and they make a no nonsense hunting rifle and they shoot well. Most will group in the 1-1 1/2 inch group size @ 100 yds with handloads

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chambers can be an issue. On some P-H rifles they can be "sloppy" to be truthful. The creme de la creme of P-H stalking (hunting) rifles is probably the one that was to be P-H's swansong. The M81 Classic.

If you click the link here is my son using a Czech Mauser .270 WCF with my P-H M81 Classic in .30/06 alongside with its Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari-C.

https://www.thestalkingdirecto.../nlrifle-jpg.199635/

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a PH 1200 I bought in high school. Sorry I sold it. The action on mine was much smoother than a Mark X.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, the Parker Hale rifle was a rather common rifle here in Oz in the 60's thru to the late 80's? I believed they went out of business then. They were offered in a wide variety of calibres including the .404 Jeffery & .458 Win Mag. I actually had one of these .404 in my hands!
Been kicking myself ever since! They were well made & tough rifles, sure nothing super fancy but then they were a big step up from virtually anything we had over here in the 60's & 70's. I still have one in 7x57mm M1100 which is a lightweight model & have a Model 1200, but its rebarrelled to .308 Norma Magnum. Never had any accuracy issues with these rifles, but remember these are hunting rifles not bench rest jobs & they do a sterling job mate! There is virtually nothing different with these & the Mark X actions (mine is the 9.3x64mm), the bottom metal of the Mark X is just slightly shorter in front action screw area, otherwise they drop straight into a Parker Hale stock which I used for my 9.3x64mm.
My recommendation is grab it regardless, the barrel may need a really good scrub as the the 7mm Rem Mag is a hot number & fouls pretty bad. A few hours of elbow grease & she should be back to scratch!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 29 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
FWIW, the main difference between Zastava and Santa Barbara actions, is that the Santa Barbara is cast.

I've owned a half dozen or so PH's (still have a couple laying around), none of the actions were cast. Perhaps you're thinking of early Rugers. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote